Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  48
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like

Connect Winter Dress, DPM dress pull out

Hey guys at some stage in the past was there a pull out in the connect magazine regarding DPM winter dress?

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was one way back when the DPM went on issue first. Maybe check with DF magazine website

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, there was. I've got the photos from it on a ppt somewhere. I'd have to dig around for the actual Connect though
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you looking to know?
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    What are you looking to know?
    A just trying to find what was the official way to wear uniform for winter dress in the pull out, 2 people I know have 2 different ways of wearing winter dress, and both think they are right and that they got from the connect pull out.

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    One says sleeves down, shirt out. the other says sleeves down and shirt tucked in

Custom User Title
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snip1 View Post
    One says sleeves down, shirt out. the other says sleeves down and shirt tucked in
    The shirt tucked in was to accommodate the wearing of the jumper..Since that is now off the clothing scale,the tucked in dress is gone.

8. Thanks snip1, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes snip1 liked this post
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    So sleeves down and shirt not tucked in is the dress now? Thanks

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought winter dress nowadays just means not rolling the shirt sleeves up, this is all completely dependent on unit SOPS.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

11. Thanks snip1, spider pig thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Winter dress: 30 Sept - 1 May. Sleeves down on shirt,shirt untucked .Long sleeve or shirt sleeve DRIFLO. Norwegian shirt worn(tucked in if outer shirt is shorter!!)UNDERNEATH and collar zipped if required.Smock worn as required.Shirt tucked in if DPM fleece is worn.

NB: Shirt sleeves are NEVER worn rolled with long sleeve DRIFLO or Norgie underneath.

PS: The Jumper is still on limited issue.Its wear is still authorised as winter field dress under A9. Worn with shirt tucked in and collars outside jumper.Or with Norgie shirt underneath.(IE if you still have a wooly pully and have it tailored properly it can be worn.Uniformity issue's would apply though when with a body of troops)

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

13. Thanks DeV, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes The real Jack, DeV liked this post
    Custom User Title
    Post Thanks / Like
    Winter dress: 30 Sept - 1 May. Sleeves down on shirt,shirt untucked .Long sleeve or shirt sleeve DRIFLO. Norwegian shirt worn(tucked in if outer shirt is shorter!!)UNDERNEATH and collar zipped if required.Smock worn as required.Shirt tucked in if DPM fleece is worn.

NB: Shirt sleeves are NEVER worn rolled with long sleeve DRIFLO or Norgie underneath.

PS: The Jumper is still on limited issue.Its wear is still authorised as winter field dress under A9. Worn with shirt tucked in and collars outside jumper.Or with Norgie shirt underneath.(IE if you still have a wooly pully and have it tailored properly it can be worn.Uniformity issue's would apply though when with a body of troops)

The only ones I've seen wearing the jumper over the past 3-5 years are Officers ..

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    It gets cold in them offices, 'hopper!

16. Likes Craghopper liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    They wouldn't be long getting rid of them if they had to carry them in "the field".

Post Thanks / Like
    For many years the cardboard reinforced woolen jumper was the only warm gear the then FCA, had in the field! (They were crap but better than nothing).
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

19. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    DFHQ staff (all ranks) are still issued the jumper as are Customs clearence branch and NSRC staff.Basically anybody who has to wear SDNo3 as their daily uniform.

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still have 3 wooly pullys. The trouble with them in long 72 hour exs was they were too big to pack into the webbing. However even in the wet they were excellent warm gear.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    I never felt too warm in them!
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Winter dress: 30 Sept - 1 May. Sleeves down on shirt,shirt untucked .
    Have to disagree with this one. A lot is down to unit SOPs but I have seen a lot of units go with sleeves up during winter time. Unless something new came out recently, there has never been anything definitive saying sleeves must be worn down. The only document I have seen referring to the dress was an old one from S Bde. It showed a pic of a guy wearing a Norwegian and sleeves were worn down. I agree - wear a norwegian under a DPM shirt and sleeve are worn down....but what is the dress of someone NOT wearing a Norwegian? The only pic showing a guy wearing a shirt (without smock or pullover) has the shirt sleeves up.

Check the wording that comes with the document and nowhere does it say that sleeve are worn down, even when it is referring to the Norwegian.

The new AI A9 doesn't clarify anything either, in fact it muddies the waters by saying that shirt is worn untucked even if norwegian is worn.

My unit took a simple view of things and just issued a set of unit SOPs to everyone in the unit as to how the uniform was to be worn and it ended all confusion. Each unit seems to have their way of doing it, everyone thinks they are right - my opinion is (as usual) the Army threw something together quickly without thinking and we are still messing around with it years later.

If you have 2 people wearing the uniform differently, refer to your unit SOPs, then to your SM, RSM, CS whomever is the senior NCO in the unit.

24. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by madden View Post
    The new AI A9 doesn't clarify anything either, in fact it muddies the waters by saying that shirt is worn untucked even if norwegian is worn
    Oh dear, what a surprise there - ambigious DF regs. Not taking a pop at you, Madden, BTW

Quote Originally Posted by madden View Post
    If you have 2 people wearing the uniform differently, refer to your unit SOPs, then to your SM, RSM, CS whomever is the senior NCO in the unit.
    .... with regard to the first statement, and I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but as soon as a person from your crew goes to Unit B or Training School X, and the SOP
    differs there, doubtless some CS or RSM will be administering a bollocking to the poor unfortunate
    Manuals anyway, have a section at the front saying "any suggested amendments, etc., feed back via CoC"

Have folks done this with regard to Admin Instrs like the dress one ?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

26. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will go one better.Nowhere in the new A9 Field dress Para does it mention the issue boonie hat.When it's worn (or not etc)but then neither did the old A9.Of course their is still no mention of the UBACS either.
    The original A9 amendment dated 25 feb 2000 was specific about shirts when you tucked the shirt in or left it out.A subsequent D Admin's instruction decreed it was to be left out all year round.A subsequent memo from 2011 decreed it was to be worn tucked when the fleece was worn over it.
    Agree. In the absence of a written order from DFHQ units can write their own SOP's.Common sense must apply though.As Offrs/NCO's we have a duty of care to our troops.Ordering sleeves up during winter prevents the long sleeve thermal being worn and the Norwegian.Both of which are worn UNDER the shirt.
    The dates I gave above are the dates that were always referred to as the dates for when Winter dress comes in.Those of us of a certain vintage would know that as a matter of SOP.

28. Thanks Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course then you have cases where SOPs contravene DFRs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Of course then you have cases where SOPs contravene DFRs
    Well, no contest there then...

Post Thanks / Like
    Those Regs don't mention my Elmer Fudd cap either the only man for a cold February ARP.
    OK Smith it’s Colonel Decker. I hate it when a plan comes together. You’re surrounded. I want you and Peck and Baracus, to throw out your weapons, all the ration packs you stole and come out with your hands up. You have fifteen seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel decker View Post
    Those Regs don't mention my Elmer Fudd cap either the only man for a cold February ARP.
    Actually they do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets here it?
    OK Smith it’s Colonel Decker. I hate it when a plan comes together. You’re surrounded. I want you and Peck and Baracus, to throw out your weapons, all the ration packs you stole and come out with your hands up. You have fifteen seconds.

Thread Information