No announcement yet.

T[h]anks or no t[h]anks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing about overseas sales is that you effectively have to be cynical and stop pretending that neutrality is anything but a sham, such as Sweden and Switzerland do. They are quite happy to sell arms to all and sundry, while maintaining a face of neutrality and they maintain strong military forces themselves.

Comment

Hi All

Given the title of this thread I had thought it would have been a discussion about whether or not Ireland, as part of it’s National Defence strategy, should include Armour as part of it’s OOB?

Following on from that I would have expected to see a debate about whether or not we have a requirement for MBT’s? If we do is it politically possible to acquire them (personally I think not - but you never know. After all if someone had asked me 8 years ago if would AIB be nationalized I would have said not in a thousand years! )

If the consensus opinion is “Yes in an ideal world it would be desirable to have some form of Armour” then why are we not discussing what kind of armour we need? What is the role for armour in our 2 Brigade structure ? once the role has been defined what vehicles match the requirement? And then finally once we have all agreed that we need hover tanks with dual 120Mm Canons and a Klingon cloaking device is it politically possible to get them and can we afford them. (ultimately we end up with a compromise and replace the Scorps with CV90’s)

Also if I may, can people please stop pointing out that the current role of the Cavalry is Reece and that we therefore have no requirement for armour of any sort other than a few more MRVs? This kind of post ruins everyones hovertank buzz and really is not appreciated at all  I mean seriously you can’t let too much reality cloud a debate about Tanks and Ireland.

OK that’s me done so just to get this thread back on track.

Do we need Armour – Yes
      What would we like (Leo 2 please about 24 plus command vehicles recovery vehicles etc.)
      Is that realistic? – Not a hope
      So what’s our second best option? (The role by the way is light armour – fire support, overwatch, and scaring the crap out of anyone that points an AK at us  redundancy in terms of future capability, corporate knowledge of armour etc )
      IMHO contenders are CV90, French car with the 105, Italian Cantauro etc.

Thanks and yes it IS a slow day in the office 

Comment

We used to have a thread on Hoover tanks..use the search function
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

"Hoover" tanks have proven themselves to be crap (The new Dyson though is apparently OK)
          Hover thanks on the other hand are awesome and we clearly need loads!

Comment

Hoover tanks SUCK. They just end up gathering dust.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

"Hoover tanks SUCK. They just end up gathering dust. "

LOL! Brilliant! post of the day!

Comment

Are the military restricted under the new EU regulations with regard to the maximum power of Hoover Tanks?

I think if we are it would allow other nations to really clean up!!!!

Comment

a Dyson hoover tank will cost a fortune and will be excellent. A chinese copy will not cost a fortune and will still be excellent. Imagine, blow shit up and clean up the mess, with no bags.

Comment

with no bags.
                    You would have to bring the RDF / FCA into it....
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

No-one mentioned party hats...

Comment

Would acquiring some AMX-10 RC or fitting a couple of Mowags with a 105MM go a miss? I'd imagine they'd be great if Ireland takes on more QRF type roles like on the UNDOF mission. Of course I'd doubt it'd happen.

Comment

They did that already. It's call the Stryker MGS and even the Americans have realised it's shit. Everything from cracking armour, with a Mowag variant? Never! To it toppling right on over.
                          At the end of the day, if you want to put a tank gun on something, put it on a tank.

Comment

Yeah I know about the MGS, but I wonder how the Danes get on with the DF90 https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7139/7...0e421769_z.jpg or the oto merela Hitfact 105 http://www.warwheels.net/images/Cent...mTurretOTO.jpg

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	UNIMOG1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	697905

I don't understand why there are occasional comments to the effect that "Neutrality" is a sham on the part of countries such as Sweden as they are manufacturers of military equipment. The two have NOTHING to do with each other. In fact so far as I know, to be "recognised" as a Neutral, a country must show itself "willing" to put up a fight in defence of it's policy. Easier done if you manufacture your own equipment. I believe Sweden does not export ANYTHING to a country if is is actually engaged in a war, a policy that benefited Ireland when we purchased the Unimog APC's which were "embargoed" by Sweden when the original purchaser got involved in "hostilities"
                              Last edited by Galloglass; 13 October 2014, 03:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Galloglass View Post
                                [ATTACH]7821[/ATTACH]

a policy that benefited Ireland when we purchased the Unimog APC's which were "embargoed" by Sweden when the original purchaser got involved in "hostilities"
                                I'm not so sure the guys who had to drive them would see their acquisition as a benefit!

Comment

Working...
                                X