Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Paper - When is it due to be published?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heres a more interesting breakdown by an external party:

Ireland’s Defense Earmark for 2016 Falls Flat

The Irish Department of Defense announced its funding allocation for 2016 on October 13. The total earmark for FY16 will amount to EUR904 million ($1.032 billion). This represents an infinitesimal nominal year-on-year increase of EUR6 million, or about 0.7 percent, above the 2015 defense budget of EUR898 million.

Half of the increase (EUR3 million) will be apportioned toward military pensions (EUR224 million in total), with the other half going toward defense. This means that in actuality, 25 percent of the total defense allocation is not spent on defense per se, but on retirement benefits. Of the remaining EUR680 million ($776 million) allocated specifically for ongoing defense matters, a total of EUR498 million ($566 million) – or 73 percent of the total defense allocation – will provide for salaries, allowances, and recruitment of new personnel. The remaining EUR182 million ($208 million), or 27 percent, will go toward capitalization (procurement, maintenance and upgrade of equipment) and operational costs.

Ireland’s defense budget plummeted in the wake of the country’s economic downturn, starting in 2008, and continued to decrease in 2009 due to the knock-on effects of the global financial crisis. Further fiscal pressures came in 2010 when the government bailed out five of the nation’s six main banks (effectively nationalizing them in the process), prompting the Fianna Fáil-led government of the time to apply for financial bailout assistance from the EU-IMF team to the tune of EUR85 billion.

With little fiscal latitude, the succeeding government coalition led by Fine Gael had little choice but to cut the defense budget in 2011 and 2012 before finally halting the slide in its 2013 and 2014 budgets. But this did not mean upticks in defense funding; instead, budgetary allocations remained flat. When the Irish economy began to contract in 2008, the topline defense budget was EUR1.078 billion ($1.58 billion). This means that in current figures, the 2015 defense budget represents a decline of 16.7 percent from 2008. In terms of next year’s budget, when factoring in cumulative year-on-year totals off the 2008 topline, Irish defense spending will have shrunk by a cumulative EUR1.269 billion, or 118 percent.

As a neutral country devoid of enemies and on friendly terms with the three military nations closest to the island (Britain, Canada and the U.S.), this drop in military funding is hardly alarming. In fact, due to the country’s need to get its fiscal house in order, it is largely necessary. But for a country that prides itself on its participation in United Nations-led peacekeeping missions and one charged with defending its own borders from a variety of security threats, big and small, all by itself, the funding provided is spread awfully thin.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• What kind of resources are going to be used on on this 10 week course, and what ROI is the DF going to get from putting instructors, resources and time into this. While I am for the DF having a role in the community at large, I have to question if this is the right way to use already stretched resources.
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Sounds like a boot camp type thing to me

The DF gets civvies to come in to instruct on the pre retirement courses AFAIK

Comment

• Civvies instructing on a course to help people retiring to prepare for life in the civilian world makes sense really.
          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Given the quality of those turning up to interviews I was conducting last year with the HSE, this is not before time.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
              Civvies instructing on a course to help people retiring to prepare for life in the civilian world makes sense really.
              Absolutely but depending on what these guys are doing they are only likely to learn discipline, self sufficient, team work and lots of fitness.

Not bad attributes to have but they are far from getting you a job

Comment

• Any idea word on what the day to day will involve?
                To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Will the students be subject to military law?

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                    Will the students be subject to military law?
                    You can bet your arse they wont.

Having said all this, does anyone here remember how much of a high they were on after a few weeks in boot camp? Young men and women getting that sort of buzz and joy de vive at the pleasure of the army would be good for the country, good for individuals and earn the DF a good place in the country's collective memory... If it's done properly.

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                      Any idea word on what the day to day will involve?
                      The BFW lads are going to show them what the meaning of hard work is....
                      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                        The BFW lads are going to show them what the meaning of hard work is....
                        BFW lads need to be shown what that is first.

BFW lads are only good for stinging lads from other units for their fcuking working parties.........
                        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                          BFW lads need to be shown what that is first.

BFW lads are only good for stinging lads from other units for their fcuking working parties.........
                          A thread showcasing BFW laziness would be gas but might bring the DF into "disrepute!", in one of the orderly rooms in my bks they painted around the furniture rather than move so if you have to move anything the wall changes colour. I'm not talking heavy full filling cabines just a desk and some ****ing light chairs!
                          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• I got a letter and a pamphlet about this today, already applied.

I hope its worth it

Comment

• Are these civvy lads or what?

Comment

Working...
                              X