Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Paper - When is it due to be published?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suspect the US would happily give us Military Aid in return for permanent airbase access (as in Egypt), joint military exercises (as in Egypt), shared Intel (as in Egypt) etc. etc. I suspect the reason we don't is that whenever it's raised our politicians (of whatever stripe) go - "ah jaysus, don't be saying that - it'll get the lefties/shinners/professional anti war outfits all riled up".

Let's face it the political hassle in Dail Eireann wouldn't be considered worth it. Daly/Wallace/Adams win by default.
    “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
    ― Thucydides

Comment

• WP due out next week.Reliably informed.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
        WP due out next week.Reliably informed.
        It is.

The date was mentioned in a speech at a passing out parade by GOC 2 Bde recently, can't remember the exact date but definitely next week.

Comment

• My sources indicate next week for white paper.

Fingers crossed but since source attended the symposium it's not going to drastic changes but deffo some good moves and raised eyebrows.

Comment

• I hear it is being Bound in Navy Blue with gold braid as a pagemarker...
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• With any bit of luck.

It's about time to!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
                My sources indicate next week for white paper.

Fingers crossed but since source attended the symposium it's not going to drastic changes but deffo some good moves and raised eyebrows.
                If anything now is the time for massive changes. The DF is comin into the 100th anniversary of 1916, the general election will be had, it is then the time to bring the organisation into relevancy with a bang!

"The question is not how far you are willing to go, the question is are you prepared to go as far as neccesary"

Comment

• Tenner IMO donation says it won't recommend RDF employment legislation or employer engagement.

Comment

• It should but it won't.

If they won't provide employment protection and allow reserves to deploy overseas (if they fully satisfy all requirements) then to be quiet frank.

Disband the Reserve.

Certainly the NSR now serves no purpose if a master mariner is serring as a leading hand out on the deck and a cabbage of a sales man is the CPO or Lt is sitting in the mess drinking tea.

Commissions and Senior Ranks should be fasttracked to people who have real world skills relating to their work in the reserve.

Whatever about the army, no navy guy is going to ever take a weekend warrior telling them what to do at sea.

If any of this is addressed in the white paper i'll feel there is some hope for the reserves.

Comment

• I hope they don't go backwards with anything but also can't see the DF getting new capability or new roles. Total lack of will.

Comment

• Don't write it off until after we see it at least.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• remember the crushing disappointment the last time. If there were major changes it would have been leaked by now. a white paper a few months before a General Election ? there will be no rocking of the boat lol.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Have to agree with that trellheim

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                              remember the crushing disappointment the last time. If there were major changes it would have been leaked by now. a white paper a few months before a General Election ? there will be no rocking of the boat lol.
                              Or just release a white paper that acknowledges the security threats and after the election do what must be done, no matter how major.

A wait this is irish parish pump politics we're talkin about, what's was I thinking. Kilkenny, athlone and limerick will be here for another 50 years!!

Comment

• maybe one of us needs to dress up as terry taliban or isis abdullah and blow up a rail line on the sly like (",

(note for G2, this was completely tongue in cheek and i do not under any circumstances condone domestic or international terrorism!)
                                Last edited by morpheus; 24 August 2015, 09:36.
                                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
                                X