84mm upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84mm upgrade

I know we have the heavy M2 version (14.2kg) and we got new sights and ammo a few years ago but maybe it was a good job we didn't go for the M3 (9.7kg) then.... there is now an even lighter M4 (6.7kg)

Janes | The latest defence and security news from Janes - the trusted source for defence intelligence

The M3 is in service.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
      The M3 is in service.
      Yes but not with the DF

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Yes but not with the DF
        The M3 is in service with the DF.

Comment

Rhodes is 100% correct.It is used by units on overseas service.The older weapons in the home units are now considered training stock.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Nice they didn't advertise that

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
              Rhodes is 100% correct.It is used by units on overseas service.The older weapons in the home units are now considered training stock.
              Some of the M2's were first fired in the 1960's!

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
                Some of the M2's were first fired in the 1960's!
                Disliked in error

Comment

Damn that looks sweet!

Comment

Very nice indeed.

Always did like the old 84, heavy but a great bit of kit. And flexible, unlike its replacement LAW 80 which was a pile of one shot throw away rubbish. When the BA got rid of the 84 in the mid 90's it was your typical political knee jerk reaction to the question "Where's it made and can it defeat modern MBT's with ERA"? Of course at the time the answer was no, it cant and its made in Sweden. Cant have that thought the establishment, so we bought something made a bit closer to London that proved to be totally useless and was scrapped after GW I, more or less.

In fairness I can understand the mentality of the time, the enemy was still the USSR and we were all set to take on the Russian hordes in their MBT's as they charged through the Black Forest. But the decision to get rid of 84 completely was wrong. There was nothing at all wrong with the weapon (heavy but Mk 3 sorted that) it was the ammo and Bofors have that well and truly sorted that as well. See attached.

The ability to fire smoke, illum, HE, Canister, Anti Structure, Tandem warhead AT rounds etc. etc. from a single man-portable weapon,,,,,,,priceless. Beats the hell out of firing off 70K worth of Javelin in top attack mode just to give yer man a sore head, but when you have nothing else,,,,,,what are ya going to do!!??
                    Attached Files
                    We travel not for trafficking alone,
                    By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
                    For lust of knowing what should not be known,
                    We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

One of the lads in my section - army reserve private - has just completed the 84 course. Seriously envious of him. Great to see these courses being offered to those who can in the RDF. they were told all of the above but fired the older weapon for training. he fired illum smoke and one other round that wasnt HE.
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                        One of the lads in my section - army reserve private - has just completed the 84 course. Seriously envious of him. Great to see these courses being offered to those who can in the RDF. they were told all of the above but fired the older weapon for training. he fired illum smoke and one other round that wasnt HE.
                        Did a Command 84mm course myself many moons ago. Was run in tandem with a 60mm mortar course, run by 20 Inf Bn
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

A new laser guided munition for the Carl G

Janes | The latest defence and security news from Janes - the trusted source for defence intelligence

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Interesting that there is no backblast from it. And it’s got to be cheaper than Javelin.
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

how does a rocket not have a backblast is it elastic bands ?
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                              X