Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
    Where would me keep or run these MTBs
    Dunno, said they weren't the most important thing.
    Don't care, if they are ever wanted the shed and the range will be found. Everything else the state wants to bother with can be found.

But I'd suggest, the same place we kept our last tanks.

Or, if it's really impossible, we could ask Singapore to keep them for us and fly out there to train.
    As Singapore, with a total land area of 720 square kilometres, is clearly vastly larger than Ireland, they might even let us borrow some of their 196 tanks, 500 or so APCs, 18 MLRS, 48 self-propelled artillery and 100 or so towed artillery to play with. Or we could ship our entire defence capability over for training. It would surely vanish into their doubtless vast and barely explored training areas.
    Am I missing something or has Ireland become like a reverse tardis, smaller on the inside than it appears from a satellite or aircraft?
    Last edited by expat01; 30 January 2018, 19:22.

Comment

• Originally posted by expat01 View Post
      Dunno, said they weren't the most important thing.
      Don't care, if they are ever wanted the shed and the range will be found. Everything else the state wants to bother with can be found.

But I'd suggest, the same place we kept our last tanks.

Or, if it's really impossible, we could ask Singapore to keep them for us and fly out there to train.
      As Singapore, with a total land area of 720 square kilometres, is clearly vastly larger than Ireland, they might even let us borrow some of their 196 tanks, 500 or so APCs, 18 MLRS, 48 self-propelled artillery and 100 or so towed artillery to play with. Or we could ship our entire defence capability over for training. It would surely vanish into their doubtless vast and barely explored training areas.
      Am I missing something or has Ireland become like a reverse tardis, smaller on the inside than it appears from a satellite or aircraft?
      Doesn't Singapore do their training outside of Singapore? I seem to remember them training in Australia and New Zealand for example?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
        Doesn't Singapore do their training outside of Singapore? I seem to remember them training in Australia and New Zealand for example?
        Yeah, like the UK training in Canada and Kenya, the Germans training in Wales etc.. it's almost as if there's an answer to this apparently insolvable problem that everyone else in the world grasped many decades ago...

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
          Yeah, like the UK training in Canada and Kenya, the Germans training in Wales etc.. it's almost as if there's an answer to this apparently insolvable problem that everyone else in the world grasped many decades ago...
          Well the rest of the world moved on after WW2, Ireland just had an emergency and went back to bed.
          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
            Well the rest of the world moved on after WW2, Ireland just had an emergency and went back to bed.
            The great banana shortage of 1940-1946.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• You might be joking but my father remembers recieving an orange from his merchant navy uncle in 1946 and it was like getting the keys to the kingdom, it had such an effect.

Comment

• When we get the MBTs that people want so badly and we sort out a training area, what then?

Comment

• Originally posted by apc View Post
                  When we get the MBTs that people want so badly and we sort out a training area, what then?
                  MBT's are waaaay down the list - it's training areas, organic fires, joint training, Artillery (in its many forms), battlefield mobility, ISTAR...

MBT's have a massive cost and logistics footprint - however, they are spectacularly effective at taking, dominating and holding ground. Nothing, nothing stops a riot in its tracks like a 70 ton tank.

Comment

• Scarlett Johansson naked?

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                      MBT's are waaaay down the list - it's training areas, organic fires, joint training, Artillery (in its many forms), battlefield mobility, ISTAR...

MBT's have a massive cost and logistics footprint - however, they are spectacularly effective at taking, dominating and holding ground. Nothing, nothing stops a riot in its tracks like a 70 ton tank.
                      So long as it is supported by Armd inf and Armd SP Arty

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        So long as it is supported by Armd inf and Armd SP Arty
                        Absolutely. There is no magic weapon on the battlefield*, though each arm thinks they are it. The key going forward is combined arms, at every scale of operation.

Edit: *with the possible exception of the one mentioned in my last.
                        Last edited by expat01; 1 February 2018, 06:35.

Comment

• Leo1s ????

Captain Scott Franklin, with the office of the Director Land Requirements, pointed out in a Jan. 23 article on the Army’s website that with the delivery of the…

Comment

• No, the other crowd stopper.

Comment

• No, the other crowd stopper.

Comment

• if they donated them, why not!

Comment

Working...
                                X