Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupidly,despite the likes of the USN withdrawing their "blueberries" our NS are ploughing ahead with this crazy idea.By all means update the uniform but this "DPM" is pointless,a waste of taxpayers money and is going to look w**k!
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
      Stupidly,despite the likes of the USN withdrawing their "blueberries" our NS are ploughing ahead with this crazy idea.By all means update the uniform but this "DPM" is pointless,a waste of taxpayers money and is going to look w**k!

Disruptive Pattern in Naval Service is contraindicated in that you are not trying to camouflage your crews in their shipboard environs. In general the range of uniforms, for all occasions, needs to be photographically laid down, for all ranks and genders. The current idea for working dress, with service and rank markings is ok but at times looks like I made them on a second hand sewing machine. The new RN working rig range of clothing looks ok with fire retardent, and light waterproofing features.
      On overseas duties naval ratings could wear common DPM as worn in the unit. However visiting , inspecting naval personnel, should wear Naval clothing appropriate to the occasion.

Comment

After a quick play around with photoshop, could we be left with something like this in theory?

I knew a simple soldier boy.....
        Who grinned at life in empty joy,
        Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
        And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
        With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
        He put a bullet through his brain.
        And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
        Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
        Sneak home and pray you'll never know
        The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
          After a quick play around with photoshop, could we be left with something like this in theory?

[ATTACH]8336[/ATTACH]
          Don't know as your "photoshop" didn't turn up. Problem about producing uniform/dress changes is that often the decision is already made on too narrow a focus and the board just follow the popular style of the moment.

Comment

Hmm...I'll give it another go.

Comment

Comment

I reckon a daft idea when MOBs are factored in.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                  looks a bit like these lads camo.....

how do you say "Durka, durka, durka...." in a cork accent???
                  An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                    Looking at the variety of uniforms the RN have to have available (all 50 pages of them), there goes the €13 billion in just supplying them!
                    I wasn't suggesting all of them

Originally posted by Herald View Post
                    To be pedantic(I know you'll love that Dev!!), We would also have to DPM it........
                    My point is naval DPM is pointless

Comment

• Pointless and futile waste of money. Rather a dark blue outfit for all ranks to include work/watch jacket , fleece, cap, variety of gloves, all fire retardant and water repellent.

Comment

• Hi Buck,

Colours are not correct but nearly there.

Black, Navy, Deck Grey, Superstructure Grey.

Fair play for trying it out!

I do also think you guys are missing the point, this is only goign ahead because it is better clothing and better value than current GDR.

Comment

• It still looks stupid and I bet if they got the same type of clothing in a single colour it would the same quality only cheaper.

Comment

• this is only goign ahead because it is better clothing and better value than current GDR.
                            Cough"Bulls**t" cough.
                            This is only ahead because it is some senior officers pet vanity project vis a vis corporate identity and a desperate wish to be seen as different to the "honkies".
                            Despite being proven that it is NOT "International best practice"

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                            It still looks stupid and I bet if they got the same type of clothing in a single colour it would the same quality only cheaper.
                            100% bang on.Look at the canadians and the brit's new naval uniforms for and example of how to do it properly.
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I must say I do like the new RN working rig.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                                Cough"Bulls**t" cough.
                                This is only ahead because it is some senior officers pet vanity project vis a vis corporate identity and a desperate wish to be seen as different to the "honkies".
                                Despite being proven that it is NOT "International best practice"

100% bang on.Look at the canadians and the brit's new naval uniforms for and example of how to do it properly.
                                Haha Apod you are a cynical auld fella!

The GDR was a pet project, that was made a mess of.
                                The GDR is muck.

It has got to go, this is just honkies dpm in four colours.

We don't in general have a desperate need to be seen as different from the honks, we know we different (and vastly better looking and sexy to boot!).

Admittedly the wearing of the green does bring some sections out in rash from the feather's that fly from time to time over "brand identity"

We will still need the current dpm for all our land based stuff, which is my own reason for thinking we will save not a whole pile.

You also miss one huge point, none of us want to look like a Russian 80s soccer hooligan.

But if the gear is better (and all indications is the fabric is exactly what we need on ships) then I will wear pink unicorn-flage when told to.

This post is merely providing information & stimulating conversation until the end of 2017 when the current GDR contact runs out.

who knows what state the DF finance's will be in by then in any case? so all this current planning might be just an argument on a forum for naught.

Comment

Working...
                                X