Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    There is a request by the Humanitarian Agency that Naval ships should return to the Mediterranean to assist with returning rescued migrants, as they occur , to North Africa. They have also ask Libyans to release from detention more than 5000 migrants. response will be interesting!
    Which one and where do they suggest we land them?

Do the authorities of those countries agree and can they be classed as safe?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Which one and where do they suggest we land them?

Do the authorities of those countries agree and can they be classed as safe?
      UN council on migration, and UNHCR. They want the incarcerated 5000+ migrants in Libya, now joined by 400 survivors of the Refuge bombing, processed and dispersed properly to any countries that will have them , including returning to their country's of origin. Those that are trying to make sea journeys are to be rescued and returned to North Africa by an agreed process.

Comment

UN council on migration, and UNHCR. They want the incarcerated 5000+ migrants in Libya, now joined by 400 survivors of the Refuge bombing, processed and dispersed properly to any countries that will have them , including returning to their country's of origin. Those that are trying to make sea journeys are to be rescued and returned to North Africa by an agreed process.
        So it continues in the Mare Nostra. The foreign Minister of the progenitors of OP Pontus and OP Sophia has rejected landing rights to all the current migrants, about 350 on various ships, including 251 on Ocean Viking, in Italy or any of it's Islands. The latter ship of Norwegian owners is now under Spanish Flag and associated with MSF and Salvini says take them to Spain or R. GEYER who is on board should take them to his home. When it gets flippant it loses humanity and people continue to suffer while Libya infects European well being without hindrance.

Comment

• OP Pontus ceased a year ago and OP Sophia is now air and training based

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
            OP Pontus ceased a year ago and OP Sophia is now air and training based
            In the meantime the stalwart remaining rescue Organisations are still doing our old job of saving lives and pulling bodies from the sea. The Estimate of " lost at sea " this year 2019 is around 700 and could be largely women, children, and the weak.
            In a vote yesterday, in the EU Parliament, a proposal to take positive action to prevent further loss of life was defeated by T__W__O votes. FOUR of the Votes against were by the let's get tough FINE GAEL MEP's including the Parliament Vice- President. I'm sure it must be the first time we voted for a Final Solution possibility, or should I say pressed the wrong buttons Again.

Comment

In the meantime the stalwart remaining rescue Organisations are still doing our old job of saving lives and pulling bodies from the sea. The Estimate of " lost at sea " this year 2019 is around 700 and could be largely women, children, and the weak.
              In a vote yesterday, in the EU Parliament, a proposal to take positive action to prevent further loss of life was defeated by T__W__O votes. FOUR of the Votes against were by the let's get tough FINE GAEL MEP's including the Parliament Vice- President. I'm sure it must be the first time we voted for a Final Solution possibility, or should I say pressed the wrong buttons Again.
              The FF MEP didn't vote, he must have assumed someone else would vote for him. His excuse? He had to catch a flight home...
              I'm glad I didn't waste my EUPARL vote on FG this time round. No amount of spin from FG can change the facts. They voted with the Far Right. Their excuse about the wording being flawed is nonsense. It is their job to amend wording to make it fit. Fact is, they are happier to see refugees die in the Med.
              Meanwhile:
              - Deaths of 39 people in a refrigerated truck

- FG MEPs voting against helping migrants

- Gov presses pause on moving 130 people in DP to Ballinamore following protests

Are we the baddies?
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Claire Daly didn't vote either but nobody seems to be interested in asking her why

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                  Claire Daly didn't vote either but nobody seems to be interested in asking her why
                  Did her partner Mick vote on it?

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                    The FF MEP didn't vote, he must have assumed someone else would vote for him. His excuse? He had to catch a flight home...
                    I'm glad I didn't waste my EUPARL vote on FG this time round. No amount of spin from FG can change the facts. They voted with the Far Right. Their excuse about the wording being flawed is nonsense. It is their job to amend wording to make it fit. Fact is, they are happier to see refugees die in the Med.
                    Meanwhile:

- Gov presses pause on moving 130 people in DP to Ballinamore following protests

Are we the baddies?
                    Because of the party/alliance system voting or abstaining is always a matter of expediency or " financial constraint " never a matter of conscience. It was Dail decisions that closed ISL, VCD, Railway systems, Barracks and Defence lands, and put " building the nation " into the hands of piratical developers. These are the people that get financially rewarded for getting a better job than their last one by large grants, CLARE got E 37,000!!

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                      Meanwhile:

Are we the baddies?
                      Ten percent of our population is foreign born, We have done our bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                        Claire Daly didn't vote either but nobody seems to be interested in asking her why
                        She is in the greedy wing of the left

Comment

• Significant numbers are still crossing the Med but they are a fraction of the numbers of 2015.

These people do need the EU’s help but prevention is better than cure!

Comment

• Mod,Customs and immigration stuff shifted to Garda and policing
                            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Operation Sophia ends 31 Mar 2020

To be replaced by a naval/aerial/satellite embargo mission

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X