No announcement yet.

Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ishexaminer.com/ireland/video-coveney-committed-to-buying-more-ships-for-navy-343208.html?utm_source=link&utm_medium=click&utm_campaign=nextandprev
    Looks like they'r already planning.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
      Makes sense. The P60s are still working up, having the bugs worked out. No sense sending them and having them struggle mechanically while lives are being lost. The P50s have been well tested in the last 15 years in everything the atlantic has thrown at them. Anything loose has been shaken off and re-tightened.
      It does encourage planning a P31 replacement ASAP.
      Down side being they are very thirsty
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• True, but they have been well tested in warmer climates.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Ship endurance

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
          True, but they have been well tested in warmer climates.
          At their top speed of 24knots these ships( P60 class) would not have much fuel left after 5 days--2880nm. They have a stated range of 6000nm which means at 14knots they would be at zero fuel after 17.85 days. Our ideal ship needs to be capable of ranges to more than cover 21 days steaming at 14knots, that is 7056nm. Speed is expensive, and limits a ships operational flexibility. The ultimate design of ship must allow for all fuel to be useable without compromising ship stability. I note the RN River Class say range over 5000nm but also give endurance of 35 days, which would be near 10,000nm at 12 knots.

Comment

• What about crew comfort? How do the Rivers compare?

Comment

• Originally posted by whirlywind
              Very interesting interview on the Marian Finnucane radio this morning regarding LE Eithne in the Mediterranean. Should be available on podcast.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                What about crew comfort? How do the Rivers compare?
                P50s are leagues ahead, comfort wise.

For the work we use them for at home, average cruising speed is 12 knots so they are well capable of that role, albeit they will burn more fuel per day than the likes of the the P21s or possibly even Eithne.

I would like to see figures for the P60s vs the P50s endurance wise
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• On engines or PTI?

Comment

• So.The return of the Eithne has been the "highpoint" of the Ministers time at Defence. That's his colours nailed firmly to the mast(I don't pardon the pun) then, and they ain't green.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Range Versus Endurance

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                      On engines or PTI?
                      PTI escapes me?. P50 has proved herself rangewise by her circumnavigation of the South American landmass via Cape Horn and Panama Canal. However both P50 and P60 are given ENDURANCES of 21 days which at 15knots is 7560nm, yet in some ship tech. details they are given RANGES of 6000nm at 15kts. Which is right.? Comfort is planned and paid for, the Rivers will have whatever ,but will have no effect on planned endurance.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        So.The return of the Eithne has been the "highpoint" of the Ministers time at Defence. That's his colours nailed firmly to the mast(I don't pardon the pun) then, and they ain't green.
                        I'd be signing up for the 1st marine brigade straight away if I were you apod........get fitted for that blue/black/ grey DPM .....

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                          I'd be signing up for the 1st marine brigade straight away if I were you apod........get fitted for that blue/black/ grey DPM .....
                          F**K that.Nearly 24 years in green and proud to stay that way.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                            So.The return of the Eithne has been the "highpoint" of the Ministers time at Defence. That's his colours nailed firmly to the mast(I don't pardon the pun) then, and they ain't green.
                            The Naval Base is in his constituency and there is a general election in eight months. Buying votes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                              Meant to 'like' your post herald, not dislike!!

Comment

• Originally posted by whirlywind
                                Would ENDURANCE be the maximum distance that can be travelled without refuelling and RANGE the maximum distance that can be travelled but being able to return to base, or call in to a port, for refuelling? Obviously replenishment at sea is required in the case of endurance.
                                Am curious about the "range" discussion and the relative "thirsts" of NS vessels compared to the RN OPVs.....Are you using the current RIVER Class or the re-configured and heavier "Batch" being built presently as your basis for comparison? Have you factored in any possible benefits from the "sail technology" which it is proposed to use on the new vessels?

Comment

Working...
                                X