• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LE Niamh

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    LE Niamh is getting a break in Sicily

And probably CISD

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...es-345532.html
    AIS shows Niamh on passage ESE from CATANIA 04082015 at 16.2knots.

Comment

• Wishing them all the best
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Boat thought to be carrying up to 600 people appears to have capsized after migrants rushed to one side as rescue vessel approached

"Hundreds of migrants attempting the perilous journey across the Mediterranean are feared to have drowned after their overcrowded fishing boat capsized off Libya, Italy’s coastguard said on Wednesday.

The boat had run into difficulty 15 nautical miles off Libya and sent out a distress call, picked up by the coastguard in Catania in Sicily.

[B]Two vessels – the Médecins Sans Frontières ship Dignity I and Irish patrol vessel Le Niamh – were immediately dispatched to the scene, but the boat capsized after the migrants all rushed to one side in anticipation of being rescue[]d, the coastguard said.[b]

An Irish naval official told the Associated Press that about 150 migrants were spotted in the water.

Nawal Soufi, an Arabic-speaking Italian based in Sicily who is often contacted by migrants in distress, told AFP she had taken a call earlier on Wednesday about a boat in trouble with 600 people on board.

“It is probably the same boat,” coastguard spokesman Filippo Marini said, raising fears that hundreds of people may have drowned.

Three other ships have been sent to the area to search for survivors.

More than 2,000 people have died trying to cross the Mediterranean to Europe this year, according to the International Organisation for Migration."
        Last edited by Herald; 5 August 2015, 16:32.

Comment

• A boat packed with up to 700 migrants capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Libya with hundreds feared dead, officials and aid agencies have said.

Comment

• 367 survivors aboard L.E. Niamh at present, 20 bodies.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Hopefully some more on other craft. Difficult job with so many wet survivors. Long journey to safety. We are with the crew in spirit. Tough break all round.

Comment

• Hopes fade as rescuers search for survivors after a boat carrying as many as 600 migrants capsizes in the Mediterranean off Libya's coast.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                  Hopefully some more on other craft. Difficult job with so many wet survivors. Long journey to safety. We are with the crew in spirit. Tough break all round.
                  seeing as the niamh and roisin are sister ships so to speak, could they not at some stage air charter the roisin crew out to theatre to relieve the niamh crew, who must be under considerable stress at this stage, this would also give the roisin crew valuable experience at this type of op. it would have to be more cost effective than sending another ship out on a 6 day steam. surely the niamh crew cant be expected to keep this up till end of september as stated

Comment

• Comment

• Looking at the Sturdy fishing vessel on the Naval Facebook page , in the throes of foundering, it seems to me the vessel was rapidly increasing draft because water was coming in, as in the second photo, due to a deliberate act- no capsize, as in roll over longitudinally--just submerged rapidly. It's possible they got everybody that could be saved.

Comment

• Is this the thread to discuss the pros and cons, rights and wrongs of the refugee situation in the Med? Or is this just for the official updates?
                        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                          Is this the thread to discuss the pros and cons, rights and wrongs of the refugee situation in the Med? Or is this just for the official updates?
                          I don't think it is. The thread, as I understand it is about how the Naval Service are dealing with the crisis. The politics of it is a far greater story, best discussed in a separate thread, in my humble opinion.

The NS will continue to rescue and recover, regardless of the politics of the situation.

And for that they deserve nothing but praise. The Journal.ie has become a haven for every crank and bigot who think these people should be left drown, lest they come over here after our social....
                          Disgusting.
                          I'd prefer that this thread remain a discussion on the fantastic, and very difficult work being done by our Naval service.
                          It is fair to say our ships were never expected to be carrying 10 times its crew on deck on a weekly, even daily basis. Hopefully this operation will be kept in mind when future naval vessels are being planned. It should also be kept in mind when future vessels are demanded, by all those in government.

Comment

• Footage from Médécins Sans Frontières of the rescue operation of migrants from a sunken ship in the Mediterranean. The LÉ Niamh was involved in the joint operation.

Posted by RTÉ News on Wednesday, 5 August 2015

I have no words.

Comment

• Just a thought. In cases where a migrant craft is scuttled, or capsized, a two ship on scene rescue mission would obviously be more effective, with the ability to deploy 4 RHIB's. Should we see the mission ships operate in pairs, or send a second Naval Service vessel , and act as a two ship rescue squadron??

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                                Just a thought. In cases where a migrant craft is scuttled, or capsized, a two ship on scene rescue mission would obviously be more effective, with the ability to deploy 4 RHIB's. Should we see the mission ships operate in pairs, or send a second Naval Service vessel , and act as a two ship rescue squadron??
                                I doubt we have the capacity to send 25% of our fleet on such a mission, and were we to, I'm sure there would be an enormous amount of head scratching when the concept of new/extra ships was mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                                X