Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Damen MRAV designs we see today are concept designs and would change for a customer. Several customers have ordered their OPV designs yet none so far look like the brochure. If we look at the P50 design and the VARD 7-80 brochure it seems we are missing a helideck aft!

The MRAV3600 has some good features like the enclosed working area with the added benefit of the helideck that this provides. The location of the RIBS is probably not the best as it is very similar to the original on HMNZS Canterbury.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
      Just for my knowledge but I understood that Deadweight tonnage (DWT) was the amount of weight a vessel could carry. So empty weight + DWT would equal displacement, is this correct?
      You are correct. The terminology error oversight was mine, as the Damen brochure needed more careful reading. The displacement tonnage is 1600t so empty weight would be about half that when you take away fuel, stores, FW, waste, and ballast. the ballast is at 170 tonnes so the " cargo " element won't be more than 250/300 tonnes.
      I wont blame Damen as the use of DWT should have rung alarm bells.

Comment

• How about https://saab.com/naval/submarines-an...asure-vessels/

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
          Yes in that ball park. This is ,of course, a manufacturer's sales brochure. We need a vessel to mine hunt , mine sweep where necessary, operate useful off ship systems, co-ord with other similar vessels, and have sustainable sea keeping qualities. I was on a "Ton" at 46m length, restricted to about sea state 4/5 wind force 6 operationally, although we survived a night of storm 10. I would opt for the greater length at 52m.

Comment

• The Italians will be replacing their MCMV fleet with two different types of vessel:a coastal Minehunter and an offshore minehunter (MHMR) the concept for which is to merge an OPV and MCH

Click image for larger version

Name:	MHMR1.png
Views:	1
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	698348

Name:	MHMR2.png
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	698349

Name:	MRMR3.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	698350

Name:	MHMR_UAV.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	698351

Their intention is to have 4 vessels enter service with a displacement of 1,300-1,400 t, length of 75-80 m, non-magnetic composite hull with a small flight deck for a UAV. Armament will be 40mm cannon plus .50cal machine guns and possibly a light SHORAD SAM.

It will can ne large USV and or RIB with stern launch most likely. It will have a mix of smaller USV's, AUV's and counter mining charges. It is likely that the UAV willbe the Leonardo AW-Hero which can not only be equipped with an EO turret but also a surface search radar.

Comment

The Italians will be replacing their MCMV fleet with two different types of vessel:a coastal Minehunter and an offshore minehunter (MHMR) the concept for which is to merge an OPV and MCH

[ATTACH]8816[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH]8817[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH]8818[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH]8819[/ATTACH]

Their intention is to have 4 vessels enter service with a displacement of 1,300-1,400 t, length of 75-80 m, non-magnetic composite hull with a small flight deck for a UAV. Armament will be 40mm cannon plus .50cal machine guns and possibly a light SHORAD SAM.

It will can ne large USV and or RIB with stern launch most likely. It will have a mix of smaller USV's, AUV's and counter mining charges. It is likely that the UAV willbe the Leonardo AW-Hero which can not only be equipped with an EO turret but also a surface search radar.
              I always, since my corvette days, held the view that ANY hull can be equipped to do the everyday chores of Defence and Offensive response. Using an OPV solely as a mobile lookout and intervening into illegal activity is gross under use. The only difficulty is dealing with Magnetic items and that could be met by off ship activity using Hunter techniques and AUV's.

Comment

• The mentality here has always been "if we can justify fisheries protection ships, then hopefully we'll have some spare cash left over for a gun or two."
                Apart from Eithne, all our fleet are set up as armed fisheries protection vessels.
                We need to get out of this mindset and build the ships as warships that can do fisheries protection instead of fisheries protection with guns.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Ah like when we should have gotten UH-60 variants but ended up with AW139s

Comment

• But we painted them green and they "can" be fitted with door machine guns...
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                      The greatest risk we face, according to the experts in the Naval Service, is an attack on the undersea cables that link Europe, via us, to North america.
                      We need to have the means to monitor these, and the means to do so are similar to that found on a vessel used for mine clearance.
                      This article may be of interest; he mentions recent Russian interest in sub-sea cables around Ireland.

A blog about UK defence issues which tries to put a positive and fresh look at many current matters impacting UK and wider defence.
                      Last edited by spider; 22 August 2020, 21:33.
                      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Originally posted by spider View Post
                        This article may be of interest; he mentions recent Russian interest in sub-sea cables around Ireland.

https://thinpinstripedline.blogspot....ables.html?m=1
                        It is not just the data cables but it is also the need to protect the energy connectors both gas and electric upon which we are becoming more dependent.

Comment

It is not just the data cables but it is also the need to protect the energy connectors both gas and electric upon which we are becoming more dependent.
                          We are approaching more than 60% dependent on energy supply from the continent, UK, and maybe Russia, through pipelines. Aghada ESB is to close shortly. We have little National resilience if we are forced to be self supplying. Allowing former State owned agencies and Authorities to follow commercial only agendas is weakening the country's ability to deal with hard knocks. The ability to know and track off shore activities usually devolve to Naval and air surveillance.

Comment

• NS Facebook page has pics of the LARS system (needs for a diver based counter-mine/C-IED Vessel attached to the former flight deck

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              NS Facebook page has pics of the LARS system (needs for a diver based counter-mine/C-IED Vessel attached to the former flight deck
                              Here's a thing. There is a Government agency Informar that deals with marine Archaeology. They have already produced one Tome of wrecks from Co. Louth Southwards to Wicklow. There are splendid 3D sonar pictures of wreck sites such as U-boats. I was impressed with one on FB Irish Maritime Heritage site, of a U-Boat with clear outline of the boat shape. They used a Research Vessel fitted with a Kongsborg Sonar EM 3002. Something similar should be part of naval kit?

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                                Here's a thing. There is a Government agency Informar that deals with marine Archaeology. They have already produced one Tome of wrecks from Co. Louth Southwards to Wicklow. There are splendid 3D sonar pictures of wreck sites such as U-boats. I was impressed with one on FB Irish Maritime Heritage site, of a U-Boat with clear outline of the boat shape. They used a Research Vessel fitted with a Kongsborg Sonar EM 3002. Something similar should be part of naval kit?
                                The NS does have SSS etc that can scan the sea bed

It’s possibly between the sea bed and the surface that is an issue

Comment

Working...
                                X