Thanks Thanks:  401
Likes Likes:  804
Dislikes Dislikes:  13

View Poll Results: (Realistically) What best to replace the Peacock CPVs with?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like for like (a similarly capable CPV)

22 32.35%
  • 1-2 x OPVs (2 defending on available funds)

39 57.35%
  • Larger number of much less capable patrol craft)

7 10.29%
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
Results 1,026 to 1,037 of 1037

Thread: CPV Replacement

Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    There is a PO/Commop (Retd) Stewart Hamilton doing research for a book on the NS at present.

He would be delighted to hear from you @ancientmariner

https://www.facebook.com/stewart.hamilton.90281
    He rang me some time back and I have offered to help him in any way possible. When I retired in 1992 I gave all my papers , on request to Military archives, in Dublin. However I kept all Sailing In /Out states from my time as NO.I on the Maev so I can put my hand on every Man and officer I've sailed with by name and rank. What crews we had up to 70 personnel in bunks and hammocks. However History is just that so hopefully we will push forward with a more fulsome Navy and ships with a deterrent edge.

2. Likes na grohmiti, spider, EUFighter, hptmurphy liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very positive sounds coming from FOCNS in his Christmas message, it gave one hope for the future as the NS reaches its 75th Birthday (seems like the 50th was just yesterday).
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

4. Likes DeV, spider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by DeV; 1st January 2021 at 17:08.

Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about this one. Limpet mines are usually attached by diver/swimmers to the undersides of the floating target. Propellers, shafts, rudders are common targets but all underwater. The one on show looks like it came out of the shop and put on high and dry above the waterline. They are attached by a strong magnet and will explode on attempted removal.

7. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Not sure about this one. Limpet mines are usually attached by diver/swimmers to the undersides of the floating target. Propellers, shafts, rudders are common targets but all underwater. The one on show looks like it came out of the shop and put on high and dry above the waterline. They are attached by a strong magnet and will explode on attempted removal.
    Same

Is someone very obviously trying to provoke conflict?
    A lot of B52 and tanker activity last few days

9. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Yanks in the Gulf are on standby for an attack by Iran and its proxies on the first anniversary of the US attack on the head of the Republican Guard.

Expect an interesting few days

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/30/p...ack/index.html
    Last edited by Flamingo; 1st January 2021 at 20:31.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Picture of Aleged Vessel in an unladen state showing the red portion in under the waterline.

https://photos.marinetraffic.com/ais...photoid=571828

Possibly discovered after discharge, and maybe designed to cause a loss of cargo/ Ecological Incident / Blackmail (instead of hijacking)?
    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
    It was the year everything changed.

12. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTU View Post
    Picture of Aleged Vessel in an unladen state showing the red portion in under the waterline.

https://photos.marinetraffic.com/ais...photoid=571828

Possibly discovered after discharge, and maybe designed to cause a loss of cargo/ Ecological Incident / Blackmail (instead of hijacking)?
    The AIS photo is of a different time. Take your point that the limpet mine, as shown, is under the loaded waterline. With the fender close by we can assume it is a picture of the ship with the mined side next to the Jetty. Swimmers would be inclined to work outboard so I would assume she was mined when the displayed side was outboard at an earlier port.

Post Thanks / Like
    The AIS photo is of a different time. Take your point that the limpet mine, as shown, is under the loaded waterline. With the fender close by we can assume it is a picture of the ship with the mined side next to the Jetty. Swimmers would be inclined to work outboard so I would assume she was mined when the displayed side was outboard at an earlier port.
    Not sure about the timeline of discovery but that picture, afaik, is taken where there are 2 ships side by side at sea and the load is being transferred from one to the other

Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Not sure about the timeline of discovery but that picture, afaik, is taken where there are 2 ships side by side at sea and the load is being transferred from one to the other
    Just miles from FAW port, why would that be, as transferring oil at sea is difficult. The mine looks a training unit, shiny with white handling ropes, and non military colouration. Is it possible the ship is banned from FAW.

Post Thanks / Like

17. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    KAZ anchorage seems to be upriver near Basra Iraq. It is an area of US interest and Control. The vessel was there some time and maybe was used as a training mission.

Thread Information