X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Watch the Officer Clubs talks they are vital

The Programme for Government says a lot but it is the ToR that says what the Commission can actually look into:
    The terms of Reference using terms such as non-aligned militarily, and participative multilateralism needs further clarity as some of those in that club are current engaged in vicious wars. In Africa there are 53 members of NAM. In Asia there are 39 members including Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq , Syria and Yemen. In Latin America and Caribbean there are 26 members including Colombia and Venezuela. there are only 2 members in Europe including Belarus. There are 17 countries with observer status including CHINA.
    I really conclude we are not saying what we mean or we don't know what we are saying. If there is an idea to deconstruct military units then when it is over we may discover vital parts missing.

Comment

• Latvian’s are removing much of the equipment from their MCMVs and replacing it with modular

Comment

Latvian’s are removing much of the equipment from their MCMVs and replacing it with modular

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/defpost....sures-vessels/
        There has been for a long time , a shift in measures to counteract influence mines of all types. The Minehunter vessel became supreme with use of stand off methods such as Clearance divers and then unmanned units with remote planting of counter charges. This ECA group is packaging a modern version of what is being done already. It would be of interest to those adapting a Countermeasures programme or setting up a new one. The unanswered question is, are Field mines redundant for evermore? Will Defence in depth require nations to sow moored mines in defence of harbours, bays, and beaches. Are Minesweepers totally redundant?
        I am very interested in the Australians fitting inertial navigation on their new OPV's to make them independent of GNSS if such satellites were impaired. We should consider such systems as the day's of Differential GPS are numbered.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
          There has been for a long time , a shift in measures to counteract influence mines of all types. The Minehunter vessel became supreme with use of stand off methods such as Clearance divers and then unmanned units with remote planting of counter charges. This ECA group is packaging a modern version of what is being done already. It would be of interest to those adapting a Countermeasures programme or setting up a new one. The unanswered question is, are Field mines redundant for evermore? Will Defence in depth require nations to sow moored mines in defence of harbours, bays, and beaches. Are Minesweepers totally redundant?
          I am very interested in the Australians fitting inertial navigation on their new OPV's to make them independent of GNSS if such satellites were impaired. We should consider such systems as the day's of Differential GPS are numbered.
          Basically all nations are replacing there MCMVs over time so the equipment is containerised and deployable from a vessel of opportunity (whatever is around that the kit will fit on).

Comment

• I don't know where they'll fit any extra equipment on the tripartites. They are small vessels, with very little open deck space.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• OCTOPODA 500 is an innovative concept developed by MAURIC, for a cost-effective Offshore Patrol Vessel able to quickly deploy unmanned vehicles and naval drones.

Comment

• Comment

• This is a project to develop or explore by trial an autonomous system to hunt and deal with specific mines or underwater ordnance. In a major conflict with many instances to be dealt with, and under time pressure, i believe that conventional systems will still be very relevant and as I said before the moored mine in 100's are not yet gone away, as they are a cheap form of effective denial and territorial protection.

Comment

This is a project to develop or explore by trial an autonomous system to hunt and deal with specific mines or underwater ordnance. In a major conflict with many instances to be dealt with, and under time pressure, i believe that conventional systems will still be very relevant and as I said before the moored mine in 100's are not yet gone away, as they are a cheap form of effective denial and territorial protection.
                    Found this on Twitter; very relevant to the mine warfare discussion -

'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Heard on the radio yesterday that the Green Party manifesto called for:
                      Designate 50% of Irish territorial waters as Marine protected areas

Their submission on the National Marine Planning Framework says 30% by 2030, it’s currently 2.3%

So not to forget what the CPV replacements will spend a lot of time doing.

Comment

Heard on the radio yesterday that the Green Party manifesto called for:
                        Designate 50% of Irish territorial waters as Marine protected areas

Their submission on the National Marine Planning Framework says 30% by 2030, it’s currently 2.3%

So not to forget what the CPV replacements will spend a lot of time doing.
                        I have read most available data and, while it is typical of a preliminary Gov. statement trying to lessen a national condition that they are responsible for, the main trust is to increase the ability of the adjacent seas to act as a carbon sink. this means acidity levels have to be reduced and we have to stop polluting our rivers and shitting in the sea. Most coastal towns empty sewage to sea, including those surrounding Cork Harbour. The old joke was after the funeral, the wife brought home her husbands ashes, the guests asked her what are you going to do with those, she got up taking the urn with her, and when she got back the urn was empty. She explained that he always wanted to be buried at sea, so I flushed him down the Loo.

Comment

I have read most available data and, while it is typical of a preliminary Gov. statement trying to lessen a national condition that they are responsible for, the main trust is to increase the ability of the adjacent seas to act as a carbon sink. this means acidity levels have to be reduced and we have to stop polluting our rivers and shitting in the sea. Most coastal towns empty sewage to sea, including those surrounding Cork Harbour. The old joke was after the funeral, the wife brought home her husbands ashes, the guests asked her what are you going to do with those, she got up taking the urn with her, and when she got back the urn was empty. She explained that he always wanted to be buried at sea, so I flushed him down the Loo.
                          What I’m suggesting is that a 1304% increase in MPAs (within the 12 mile limit) may need to an increased requirement for fisheries protection duties in that area.

Of course the other part is whatever Brexit deal is done on fisheries may also mean a huge increased requirement for fisheries protection duties in the EEZ

Comment

What I’m suggesting is that a 1304% increase in MPAs (within the 12 mile limit) may need to an increased requirement for fisheries protection duties in that area.

Of course the other part is whatever Brexit deal is done on fisheries may also mean a huge increased requirement for fisheries protection duties in the EEZ
                            Fishing by all nations of the EU is controlled by agreement in amount , species, commencement time and date, and overall quota for each nation and species type. Each nation is entitled to declare Total Exclusion Zones for known nurseries. On paper you know when they are LEGAL, so you board to make sure the paperwork ( logbooks) are correct, and by inspection all species parameters are correct. The AIS shows location and will give a clue to premature starters for closer inspection. If MPA usage is guaranteed there should be an electronic link with surface vessels to transfer target data as seen. Flights over 6 hours would require double crews.

Comment

Fishing by all nations of the EU is controlled by agreement in amount , species, commencement time and date, and overall quota for each nation and species type. Each nation is entitled to declare Total Exclusion Zones for known nurseries. On paper you know when they are LEGAL, so you board to make sure the paperwork ( logbooks) are correct, and by inspection all species parameters are correct. The AIS shows location and will give a clue to premature starters for closer inspection. If MPA usage is guaranteed there should be an electronic link with surface vessels to transfer target data as seen. Flights over 6 hours would require double crews.
                              You have to board them to check the catch and log book.

The MPA’s and other electronic means give location and some other info.

Comment

• The National Marine Planning Framework makes interesting reading especially all the detailed maps that it contains. The map on pg44 shows the extent of the areas currently designated, but looking further one can guess just where new zones are likely. As a lot of these areas will affect small fishing boat activities the main concern will be how the effected person will get alternative employment. Will they find employment in the offshore wind industry?

Overall a lot to digest in the document. Hopefully it is an indication that we are slowly turning around to look outward at the sea rather than standing on the strand looking inward.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/def...work_final.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X