Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just waiting for the DoD to say we only need one because we have no space to park 2.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      Just waiting for the DoD to say we only need one because we have no space to park 2.
      Nah, they will say we only need 1 as we don't have the crew for two...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
        Nah, they will say we only need 1 as we don't have the crew for two...
        In the case DoD recommendation will be four

Comment

• Originally posted by Anzac View Post
          It is a bit far away but getting them back to Ireland on the delivery cruise would be a brilliant journey.

I have plotted the course. Taking both vessels. A Kiwi-Irish mixed crew or each take one vessel each and sailing from Auckland and heading north to Rarotonga for a couple of nights at Wilson's Beach Bar, then up to Pearl and the bars in Honolulu, across to Coronado NB San Diego, then down to Panama and then through the Panama Canal to Mayport Fl, then north to with a stop in Boston on the way then onto Halifax NS, and finally across the last stretch to Cork.

That would be the highlight of any Naval career and be the stuff of legends which it sadly probably will be
          I would prefer sailing westwards via Auckland, Melbourne, Perth, Broome, Surabaya, Colombo, Aden, Suez/Port said, Gibraltar, Cork 48/50 days including stops.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
            I would prefer sailing westwards via Auckland, Melbourne, Perth, Broome, Surabaya, Colombo, Aden, Suez/Port said, Gibraltar, Cork 48/50 days including stops.
            Even the Stena Ferries new E Flexer ferries at over 200 metres and 40,000 plus tonnes take a westward delivery journey from Weihai in China via Singapore, Indian Ocean, Suez ,Gibraltar around 5 weeks at 20 kts .
            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

I'd personally be avoiding Aden these days!

Comment

All good stops mate - but the real reason for the eastward journey is the increased likelihood of not having to trouble your wallet in some of those stops. The boys on Te Kaha last week were heartbroken they could not leave the ship when in Pearl on the delivery journey home from Canada following the refit.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  In the case DoD recommendation will be four
                  Buy the four, better to have them sitting there rather than having to look for something when we need them. If these were to be based out of Dublin this is the type of vessel that could be manned by properly trained reservists. get away from the small boat navy reserve mentality and go to where the RN were in the past with the RNR manning this type of vessel when required.

Huge opportunity
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    Buy the four, better to have them sitting there rather than having to look for something when we need them. If these were to be based out of Dublin this is the type of vessel that could be manned by properly trained reservists. get away from the small boat navy reserve mentality and go to where the RN were in the past with the RNR manning this type of vessel when required.

Huge opportunity
                    Hardly worth it when the reserve even if fully manned would only be able to take them out two weeks of the year and a few weekends?

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                      Hardly worth it when the reserve even if fully manned would only be able to take them out two weeks of the year and a few weekends?
                      Well the government has been making noises about making changes to the reserves but yeah it would be a huge change, though if based in Dublin could some reserves be used to augment the crews given current numbers?

Comment

• If each NSR Reservist could give one week, that's 113 weeks were they could crew, leaving the remaining to get their qualifying courses, I'm assuming from reading thread here they are needed. And they should definitely be able to augment fulltime crew. They could also do alot of weekend reliefs, duties. This would be a valuable contribution by Reservists to help with Brexit

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                          If each NSR Reservist could give one week, that's 113 weeks were they could crew, leaving the remaining to get their qualifying courses, I'm assuming from reading thread here they are needed. And they should definitely be able to augment fulltime crew. They could also do alot of weekend reliefs, duties. This would be a valuable contribution by Reservists to help with Brexit
                          Have you considered how long it takes to complete the training required to operate these ships?
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                            If each NSR Reservist could give one week, that's 113 weeks were they could crew, leaving the remaining to get their qualifying courses, I'm assuming from reading thread here they are needed. And they should definitely be able to augment fulltime crew. They could also do alot of weekend reliefs, duties. This would be a valuable contribution by Reservists to help with Brexit
                            It's not as simple as saying 113 bodies are available to go to sea even for one week at sea. Strip away those who irregularly attend, those who don't have their PST and DCFF up to date, those who are frankly too old and haven't gone near a ship in years (if ever), SNCOs, most officers and those who have genuine work and family commitments that may make this a bad year to go out.... Well you're left with a hard core of only a handful of individuals at each unit who are, willing and do go on patrols. It's a LOT less than 113.

I do however 100% agree that reservists could augment these crews in a very useful way especially considering the shorter range of the new ships would assuredly mean one week patrols or less. Could be an excellent match.

The key of course is planning. Slots could be held on the patrol plan for reservists to slot in for week long stints (or shorter or longer) and could be planned in well in advance.

The whole plan would fall however when the model is to go looking for NSR two days before a ship is due to go sea to fills gaps. Just a recipe for disappointment for everyone.

The NSR could be a valuable reserve but not if its expected to regularly and dependably fill unexpected gaps in routine operations with little advance warning.

If the Navy needs me as a body to assist with getting ships out on patrol, I am more than willing to plan ahead around my private sector occupation and do my bit. For anything a bit more troublesome for the state, the Minister can call me into permanent service and I'll be there.
                            Last edited by Auldsod; 20 December 2020, 22:07.

Comment

• If not 113, how many is a few per unit?

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                                Have you considered how long it takes to complete the training required to operate these ships?
                                My understanding of the proposal above would be that the NSR operates as it does at present. Providing personnel up to a limited AB standard at most. That's enough to provide a genuinely useful extra pair of hands on a ship who can perform most of the same tasks and fill in on watches etc.

Training an all NSR crew to man these ships is fantasy. Now I'm entering the realm of speculation here but I'd assume that the mine countermeasure vessels operated by the RNR during the Cold War would have some level of regular RN support and crewing plus a healthy number of ex regulars amongst the RNR personnel.
                                Last edited by Auldsod; 20 December 2020, 22:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X