This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is potentially the route the RN could find its way going down

We are a maritime-orientated high-end design house and technical consulting firm. We design. We guide. We protect. We sustain. We train. We transform.

We are a maritime-orientated high-end design house and technical consulting firm. We design. We guide. We protect. We sustain. We train. We transform.
    Last edited by DeV; 8 May 2019, 10:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      It seems to be a vessel with a range of abilities requiring skilled crew and a wide range of electronic links. It increases number of operators required for operating remote sensors in all dimensions. It is interesting that they don't see an OPV as an adaptable platform. I may have missed it but the actual Tonnage and dimensions of the craft together with stability provisions while deploying 25 tonne units would be good for assessment. It is an answer with some flexibility in other roles.

Comment

• As far as I can see the only vital statistic given is length of 85.9m (on the 1st link)

Comment

• Belgium is looking forward to the capability increase it will get with the new MCM flotilla.

For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• How the Danes are going it

Comment

• REMUS 100 is in use by the NS

This shows the company’s other offering including the type of LARS required

Comment

• Some new details on the latest iteration of the next Belgium/Dutch MCMV
                https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news...ill-look-like/

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                  Some new details on the latest iteration of the next Belgium/Dutch MCMV
                  https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news...ill-look-like/
                  Maybe the functionality of the intended MRV could include elements of a multi-tasking Mother ship. Big enough, space enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                    Maybe the functionality of the intended MRV could include elements of a multi-tasking Mother ship. Big enough, space enough?
                    Once it has space for a few TEUs and a crane it probably could (as could any vessel).

But doesn’t change the fact that Ciara and Orla have been in service for 31 years and have the worst standard of other ranks Accomodiation in the fleet.

If they go for an existing design (not necessarily in Irish service) the delivery process will take about 3 years
                    Last edited by DeV; 1 June 2019, 12:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      Once it has space for a few TEUs and a crane it probably could (as could any vessel).

But doesn’t change the fact that Ciara and Orla have been in service for 31 years and have the worst standard of other ranks Accomodiation in the fleet.

If they go for an existing design (not necessarily in Irish service) the delivery process will take about 3 years

I think the Ciara and Orla replacements need to meet the provisional tasks as outlined in the White Paper. It must be a dependable provable system for dealing with modern anti-ship mining. Such units should match recommendations from MCM experts and avail of full scale training programs with adjacent navies on an annual basis. I wonder how the half-life refits of Niamh and Roisin are progressing. The latter seems to be on a new for old total rebuild. She will be virtually new when she comes out of DSG Rushbrook.

Comment

• Naval News via YouTube: Belgium & Netherlands Signing for 12 MCM Vessels & Equipment by Naval Group & ECA Group

Comment

• Do we really need a mine warfare capability?

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                            Do we really need a mine warfare capability?
                            Irish trawlers have been pulling up mines from the 1st and 2nd world war for the last 80 years. It is an effective and low cost area denial weapon. Given that our south west and North west coasts are the main sea lanes for all goods travelling between the American continent and Europe, the risk of a terrorist group attempting to disrupt this network is widely accepted.
                            In addition, much of the subsea communication cables between europe and the American continent are laid in our waters. We need to have the capability to inspect and protect these from physical attack. A mine countermeasures vessel already has this capability with its range of ROV assets, high accuracy sonar and DP.
                            In adition to that again, this type of vessel provides a stable platform for any naval diving operation, whether it be combat or rescue/recovery.
                            Don't forget how the ILS tender was the primary asset in the recovery of Rescue 119, due to its suitability as a diving platform.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                              Do we really need a mine warfare capability?
                              Island nation, where fear of a small number of mines could close every major port in the country.

Non-state actors have used mines & maritime IEDs

We have a limited counter-mine capability through NSDS currently, that needs to be expanded

Do we need dedicated MCMVs? Imho no

We need vessels that have the space and facilities for NSDS to employ their current (plus potential future) assets

Comment

• Replace the Bofors with a Thales Seafire and we'll take 3! PS : No more Dead Poets Society, LE Wexford, LE Waterford and LE Carlingford will do nicely. Well one can always hope.
                                Sarsfield

Comment

Working...
                                X