X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    As in sonar?
    Not totally. There are about 230 fibre optic cables systems world wide with 550,00 miles of fibre. They are the pipelines of economic and fiscal movement throughout the world. They suffer from an orphanage type syndrome as they really don't have a Mammy and Daddy until they enter a territorial region at the point of exit or landing. They are prone to cutting, tapping, and eavesdropping. The current European solution is loads of MPA's and ship's that can track submarines so as to build a picture of submarine and surface traffic in the whole of the North Atlantic and adjacent waters. The Swedes and Norwegians do it to the North. The Brits do it minus MPA in the middle, The French do it to our South and we try on surface to the West. More to do.
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 18 May 2020, 11:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
      I would agree about undersea cables, even if they do not come on land here a quick look at any chart for the Celtic Sea will show the mass of cables coming from the UK (Europe) and passing through out EEZ. Then we have the interconnectors, which will soon be joined by a new super interconnector to France. But as with most thing under the surface no-one seems to care.
      Disliked in error

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
        Not totally. There are about 230 fibre optic cables systems world wide with 550,00 miles of fibre. They are the pipelines of economic and fiscal movement throughout the world. They suffer from an orphanage type syndrome as they really don't have a Mammy and Daddy until they enter a territorial region at the point of exit or landing. They are prone to cutting, tapping, and eavesdropping. The current European solution is loads of MPA's and ship's that can track submarines so as to build a picture of submarine and surface traffic in the whole of the North Atlantic and adjacent waters. The Swedes and Norwegians do it to the North. The Brits do it minus MPA in the middle, The French do it to our South and we try on surface to the West. More to do.
        The most recent Russian sub accident revealed they have serious plans for interfering with such infastructure. A manned sub, designed to latch onto the bottom of one of their normal Delta IV naval subs (thus disguising its exit and entry from those naval ports covered by satellite) and capable of diving, manned to 2500m. It has a crew of about 25 and is fitted with manipulator arms.
        The July 1 fire in the Arctic in which 14 officers lost their lives is a Russian 'state secret.' From analysis of open sources I can reveal details of the submarine’s movements before and after the event.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• EDP:

Pre-planning stage

replacement of the two Coastal Patrol vessels, acquisition of diver based mine counter-measures and counter improvised explosive device equipment

Under consideration

Similar projects which fall into the category of warranted future more detailed consideration are ship-based mine and mine counter measure and counter improvised explosive device systems
          Last edited by DeV; 7 July 2020, 11:03.

Comment

• Surely this is the only game in town in that regard?

Nice lean manning, with plenty of spare accommodation when needed. (13+30) and a 30T BP if needed.

The 3600 version is even better, but 84m. Still though, HELIPAD!

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
              Surely this is the only game in town in that regard?

Nice lean manning, with plenty of spare accommodation when needed. (13+30) and a 30T BP if needed.

https://products.damen.com/-/media/P...00_05_2016.pdf
              what's the weight of that bloody thing????
              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                what's the weight of that bloody thing????
                Hard to say, as they are designed to carry things, their tonnage is given in DWT, not displacement. The Smaller is 1600 DWT, the larger is 3600 DWT.

Comment

Surely this is the only game in town in that regard?

https://products.damen.com/-/media/P...00_05_2016.pdf
                  Slow and unarmed though
                  All weather?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    Slow and unarmed though
                    All weather?
                    As all weather as the Peacocks. Speed is given as cruising speed, no max given (that I see-eyesight not great today) but copmparable to normal cruising speed in coastal waters. I can count on one hand the number of times the ship I worked on went faster than 12kn in near continental waters, and that was only with flat seas and a tailwind.

Comment

As all weather as the Peacocks. Speed is given as cruising speed, no max given (that I see-eyesight not great today) but copmparable to normal cruising speed in coastal waters. I can count on one hand the number of times the ship I worked on went faster than 12kn in near continental waters, and that was only with flat seas and a tailwind.
                      I’ll rephrase sea keeping ?

That’s max speed 14 kts (for the 1600 model)
                      We are family owned & client-driven company since 1927. Damen Group becomes the world's most sustainable and connected shipbuilder. We are building your future!

Comment

Hard to say, as they are designed to carry things, their tonnage is given in DWT, not displacement. The Smaller is 1600 DWT, the larger is 3600 DWT.
                        This is a summer type vessel with a draft of 3m and a DWT of 1600t ( minus 170t+300t+150t +100t ) she would then be at Burnt out DWT 1600-720 consumables which is 880t and if you add in payload equal to ballast at 170t, the vessels weighs in at about 710t. She hits the 3m draft with everything loaded on board. Her speed at 14kts is casual and her planned Area for GMDSS rating is A2, coastal regions including Europe. A bit more emphasis needed on MCM and towing. The ships is mainly electrical propulsion via diesels. Significant requirement for an EA type ERA. Small ship at 199 ft+/-

Comment

I am confused, on the website and in the MRAV product brochure the weights are given as "displacement". In the individual product sheets it is given as DWT.

Comment

This is a summer type vessel with a draft of 3m and a DWT of 1600t ( minus 170t+300t+150t +100t ) she would then be at Burnt out DWT 1600-720 consumables which is 880t and if you add in payload equal to ballast at 170t, the vessels weighs in at about 710t. She hits the 3m draft with everything loaded on board. Her speed at 14kts is casual and her planned Area for GMDSS rating is A2, coastal regions including Europe. A bit more emphasis needed on MCM and towing. The ships is mainly electrical propulsion via diesels. Significant requirement for an EA type ERA. Small ship at 199 ft+/-
                            Displacement on the main page (not the pdf) is given as 1600 tons

WRT MCM it is one of the few vessels Of that size that could Carry all the TEUs required by NSDS and still have room for RHIB workboats, USVs and other containerised MCM equipment. It could also give the divers berths

Comment

• We are family owned & client-driven company since 1927. Damen Group becomes the world's most sustainable and connected shipbuilder. We are building your future!

Comment

Just for my knowledge but I understood that Deadweight tonnage (DWT) was the amount of weight a vessel could carry. So empty weight + DWT would equal displacement, is this correct?

Comment

Working...
                                X