Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love to know who thought an oil boiler would have been a good idea. She seemed to be a dock yard darling for most of the 80s till disposal, did she see much seatime other than the trip to Iceland? Ferdia appeared around the same time.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
      We went over to Harwich in july/August that year. The big job was to bring ISOLDE alive as a live- aboard ship. Sean CURRIVAN was the engineer and ever dependable, and full of quirky fun he did the job. We use to beg parts from the British Railway Shipyard manager. Eventually the ship was alive and we phoned HQ to dispatch crew , technicians, radar, radio, bedding, galley gear,etc. They came on the Army Band Bus and within days we were sending our first morse messages to HQ and NB. Great work done by WO Crowe and others. Training ship was an idea, but it came at a time we were going to be a diesel navy. In the hiatus she was used as a patrol vessel but couldn't handle stormy seas WNA style.
      Please tell me you are writing a book of your memoirs?

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
        Please tell me you are writing a book of your memoirs?
        I have helped with others' Histories of the Naval Service. All my many diaries will hopefully be used by some young researcher in the future. When I retired I sent boxes of " Stuff " to Army Archives in Portobello Bks. No interest in writing , I'm a researcher at heart.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
          I have helped with others' Histories of the Naval Service. All my many diaries will hopefully be used by some young researcher in the future. When I retired I sent boxes of " Stuff " to Army Archives in Portobello Bks. No interest in writing , I'm a researcher at heart.
          Could you get someone to write it for you...you served in some fascinating times!
          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
            The structure down aft was the senior rates mess and rec space , collect your grub from the galley midships and make your way down aft . The galley stove was an oil burning stove and used the same fuel as the main boilers ( heavy sludge oil ) you needed to be a stoker to get the stove started .
            Am I right in saying that this piece of superstructure was later used in the old DC & FF yard? Or was someone pulling my leg?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sluggie View Post
              Am I right in saying that this piece of superstructure was later used in the old DC & FF yard? Or was someone pulling my leg?
              Was used for BA and entry training
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• It's probably still about somewhere...

Comment

• I note on twitter naval divers involved in the recovery operation in the south east using the ILS Granuaile as a platform.
                  Surely this would be better carried out using a dedicated drive support ship? Clearly the 3 TEU spots on the on scene command OPV are insufficient for the required demands.

Comment

I note on twitter naval divers involved in the recovery operation in the south east using the ILS Granuaile as a platform.
                    Surely this would be better carried out using a dedicated drive support ship? Clearly the 3 TEU spots on the on scene command OPV are insufficient for the required demands.
                    I assume the 3 TEUs would use more or less all available deck space where as Granuaile has a larger work area?

She may have better DP too

Comment

• Makes the whole 3 spot exercise pointless then.
                      Follow the RNZN path and replace the peacocks with a dedicated dive support ship, or ships.
                      Happy to see the recovery is now complete, and the NS can return the remains to the family of the deceased.

Comment

Makes the whole 3 spot exercise pointless then.
                        Follow the RNZN path and replace the peacocks with a dedicated dive support ship, or ships.
                        Happy to see the recovery is now complete, and the NS can return the remains to the family of the deceased.
                        I think the ILS Granuaile fitted the bill for the deployment of the UW units using her 20 tonne crane and winches. Her deck space is considerable, About 2/3rds of her length. The P60 space is for carriage and may not be self loaded or discharged. The MRV could include this task in her roles. Just be certain that handling gear suits all items carried, or intended to be carried for an operation. We are stuck at times like this for jointed operations.

Comment

• The ILS Granuaile is based here and available to the State. It is not the first time it has helped out. Irish Lights make her available as they do not always have enough work for her.
                          Then we have the Marine Institute with the RV Celtic Explorer with similar capabilities and soon to be joined by a new 55m vessel which is replacing the RV Voyager. Both of which are also available for hire.

It would make little sense for the State to buy a another such vessel which would also not be 100% utilized. What would make sense is a Framework agreement to link them closer to the NS if not already in-place.

Comment

• I disagree. As a secondary function, this capability will always be useful, particularly if there is an actual intention to commence some subsea mine clearance type operation.
                            Here is the sequence of events as per Twitter.

This is a complex operation, we won't always have Granuaile for this, and the Mar Inst vessels have a pretty full calendar. When not engaged as such, said vessel carries out normal patrol duties. In this case we have one naval asset on scene, watching naval work being done on a civilian vessel. It could be all done with one suitably equipped vessel, as was originally the promise with the P60 class, their 3 TEU spots, and heavy duty deck crane.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                              The ILS Granuaile is based here and available to the State. It is not the first time it has helped out. Irish Lights make her available as they do not always have enough work for her.
                              Then we have the Marine Institute with the RV Celtic Explorer with similar capabilities and soon to be joined by a new 55m vessel which is replacing the RV Voyager. Both of which are also available for hire.

It would make little sense for the State to buy a another such vessel which would also not be 100% utilized. What would make sense is a Framework agreement to link them closer to the NS if not already in-place.
                              The Marine Institute can operate ROVs etc I think but not divers. Open to correction

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                              I disagree. As a secondary function, this capability will always be useful, particularly if there is an actual intention to commence some subsea mine clearance type operation.
                              Here is the sequence of events as per Twitter.

This is a complex operation, we won't always have Granuaile for this, and the Mar Inst vessels have a pretty full calendar. When not engaged as such, said vessel carries out normal patrol duties. In this case we have one naval asset on scene, watching naval work being done on a civilian vessel. It could be all done with one suitably equipped vessel, as was originally the promise with the P60 class, their 3 TEU spots, and heavy duty deck crane.
                              The 3 TEUs on the P60 class mean that they can carry 3 TEUs .... not that the NSDS will be able to operate 3 from their TEUs on board.

If they did the NS wouldn’t contract vessels for dive training.

Have a look at them on the model. You probably can’t open the middle one and it looks like you may not be able to get past the crane on the port side

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                The Marine Institute can operate ROVs etc I think but not divers. Open to correction

Have a look at them on the model. You probably can’t open the middle one and it looks like you may not be able to get past the crane on the port side
                                The reason for using Granuaile for diving operations is based on overall suitability and safety. The TEU depiction is for a load on/lift off scenario for resupply or supply. Placing containerised work stations on P 60's, may not have been planned as required for the recent operation. The EFFER 80000 crane on the port side deployed to about midship, lifts 7 Tonnes+/-. A logs ship gives a range of flexibility of usages.

Comment

Working...
                                X