This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Not sure about the timeline of discovery but that picture, afaik, is taken where there are 2 ships side by side at sea and the load is being transferred from one to the other
    Just miles from FAW port, why would that be, as transferring oil at sea is difficult. The mine looks a training unit, shiny with white handling ropes, and non military colouration. Is it possible the ship is banned from FAW.

Comment

• KAZ anchorage seems to be upriver near Basra Iraq. It is an area of US interest and Control. The vessel was there some time and maybe was used as a training mission.

Comment

• Being closed in its current form due to operation now of the Equipment Development Plan which will be the way to take this (and similar projects) forward, it moves to the EDP programme level process using PM methodology. The Equipment Development Plan has an explicit commitment to fleet replacement.
        Kick that can! Kick it good!
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• The number of serving personnel is due to drop below 900, amid further resignations, including its second in command Captain Brian Fitzgerald

Last December, the Irish Examiner exclusively revealed that Minister for Defence, Simon Coveney, and military chiefs were planning to acquire two smaller vessels for fishery patrols in the Irish Sea; a move necessitated by Brexit.

Two ships belonging to a foreign navy have been identified as being suitable for the task.

They are much smaller than some of the newer Naval Service ships, which are 90m long, and can thus be crewed with fewer personnel.

There isn't the requirement for bigger ships to patrol the Irish Sea as the weather there is not as turbulent as the Atlantic.

The 90m ships need a crew of 45, whereas these vessels can be crewed by anything between 20 and 25 personnel.

Comment

• Vittoria Shipyard launched the Maltese Armed Forces' biggest patrol vessel, OPV P71, on February 27, during a ceremony that took place in the facilities of the Venetian company.

LÉ Aoifes replacement has left the slipway. It seems like a nice upgrade for the Maltese navy. In the article it states it is 75% funded by the EU. I believe in the past the EU has part funded ships for us aswell. Go easy on me, but would it be possible to receive similar funding for future vessels?

Comment

• Originally posted by pilatus View Post
              https://navalpost.com/malta-armed-fo...unch-vittoria/

LÉ Aoifes replacement has left the slipway. It seems like a nice upgrade for the Maltese navy. In the article it states it is 75% funded by the EU. I believe in the past the EU has part funded ships for us aswell. Go easy on me, but would it be possible to receive similar funding for future vessels?
              I doubt it tbh, the EU funded the Maltese boat and ours before because they and us couldn't reasonable afford them. Fairly sure now they would point out our gdp and our defence budget and suggest we could afford it ourselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by pilatus View Post
                https://navalpost.com/malta-armed-fo...unch-vittoria/

The EU funded Deirdre, Aoife, Aisling, Emer, Roisin and Niamh (not sure about Eithne, the Peacocks or P60s) to the tune of 50% (ex armament).

We are now a net contributor and we the recent CFP enforcement issue that ship may have sailed

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  The EU funded Deirdre, Aoife, Aisling, Emer, Roisin and Niamh (not sure about Eithne, the Peacocks or P60s) to the tune of 50% (ex armament).

We are now a net contributor and we the recent CFP enforcement issue that ship may have sailed
                  The 60's were paid by us I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                    The 60's were paid by us I think.
                    Yes, AFAIK, P60 onwards were ours. I was directly involved in the building of P20's next sister and was constantly reminded by DOD reps that the EU would countenance NO procurement of armaments so we wound up with token local operated WW11 Bofors, a couple of 20mms. They even mentioned that funding would be withdrawn if we kept highlighting the need for military equipment. Luckily the Peacocks came in, just in time, to make 76mm acceptable for P31 onwards, even if from the Hector Gray stable.
                    Last edited by ancientmariner; 1 March 2021, 09:54.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                      Yes, AFAIK, P60 onwards were ours. I was directly involved in the building of P20's next sister and was constantly reminded by DOD reps that the EU would countenance NO procurement of armaments so we wound up with token local operated WW11 Bofors, a couple of 20mms. They even mentioned that funding would be withdrawn if we kept highlighting the need for military equipment. Luckily the Peacocks came in, just in time, to make 76mm acceptable for P31 onwards, even if from the Hector Gray stable.
                      Do you believe that there was a genuine threat to funding if the vessels were appropriately armed or was it a convenient excuse to avoid spending the money required to do so?

Comment

• I remember that the main armament on P20 (L60) had a date of manufacture of 1948.
                        Our DoD had a history of messing up military equipment purchases. Wasn't there a case in the 70s of some armoured vehicles being detained at a port somewhere because local law enforcement couldn't be sure whether the vehicles were destined for the Defence forces or the PIRA?

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                          I remember that the main armament on P20 (L60) had a date of manufacture of 1948.
                          Our DoD had a history of messing up military equipment purchases. Wasn't there a case in the 70s of some armoured vehicles being detained at a port somewhere because local law enforcement couldn't be sure whether the vehicles were destined for the Defence forces or the PIRA?
                          The UNIMOGS

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                            Do you believe that there was a genuine threat to funding if the vessels were appropriately armed or was it a convenient excuse to avoid spending the money required to do so?
                            It was a running mantra from the CS on the Defence construction board, obviously they were building a ship for FP only.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                              It was a running mantra from the CS on the Defence construction board, obviously they were building a ship for FP only.
                              Shortly after her entry into service, L.E. Deirdre bore the Pennant number FP-20. Not sure when the F was painted over, but it was like it was intended as a constant reminder: don't get any notions.

Comment

Working...
                              X