Thanks Thanks:  339
Likes Likes:  603
Dislikes Dislikes:  12

View Poll Results: (Realistically) What best to replace the Peacock CPVs with?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like for like (a similarly capable CPV)

    22 34.38%
  • 1-2 x OPVs (2 defending on available funds)

    39 60.94%
  • Larger number of much less capable patrol craft)

    3 4.69%
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
Results 776 to 800 of 809

Thread: CPV Replacement

  1. #776
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,498
    Post Thanks / Like

  2. Thanks na grohmiti, EUFighter, Graylion thanked for this post
  3. #777
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/100...training-ship/
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  4. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
  5. #778
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like
    The structure down aft was the senior rates mess and rec space , collect your grub from the galley midships and make your way down aft . The galley stove was an oil burning stove and used the same fuel as the main boilers ( heavy sludge oil ) you needed to be a stoker to get the stove started .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  6. #779
    Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/100...training-ship/
    We went over to Harwich in july/August that year. The big job was to bring ISOLDE alive as a live- aboard ship. Sean CURRIVAN was the engineer and ever dependable, and full of quirky fun he did the job. We use to beg parts from the British Railway Shipyard manager. Eventually the ship was alive and we phoned HQ to dispatch crew , technicians, radar, radio, bedding, galley gear,etc. They came on the Army Band Bus and within days we were sending our first morse messages to HQ and NB. Great work done by WO Crowe and others. Training ship was an idea, but it came at a time we were going to be a diesel navy. In the hiatus she was used as a patrol vessel but couldn't handle stormy seas WNA style.

  7. Thanks na grohmiti thanked for this post
  8. #780
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every patrol required a visit to Dublin , Dublin being the only place the boiler fuel was still available .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  9. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy liked this post
  10. #781
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love to know who thought an oil boiler would have been a good idea. She seemed to be a dock yard darling for most of the 80s till disposal, did she see much seatime other than the trip to Iceland? Ferdia appeared around the same time.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  11. #782
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    We went over to Harwich in july/August that year. The big job was to bring ISOLDE alive as a live- aboard ship. Sean CURRIVAN was the engineer and ever dependable, and full of quirky fun he did the job. We use to beg parts from the British Railway Shipyard manager. Eventually the ship was alive and we phoned HQ to dispatch crew , technicians, radar, radio, bedding, galley gear,etc. They came on the Army Band Bus and within days we were sending our first morse messages to HQ and NB. Great work done by WO Crowe and others. Training ship was an idea, but it came at a time we were going to be a diesel navy. In the hiatus she was used as a patrol vessel but couldn't handle stormy seas WNA style.
    Please tell me you are writing a book of your memoirs?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  12. Likes Flamingo, spider, hptmurphy, sofa, CTU liked this post
  13. #783
    Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Please tell me you are writing a book of your memoirs?
    I have helped with others' Histories of the Naval Service. All my many diaries will hopefully be used by some young researcher in the future. When I retired I sent boxes of " Stuff " to Army Archives in Portobello Bks. No interest in writing , I'm a researcher at heart.

  14. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo liked this post
  15. #784
    CQMS spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,807
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    I have helped with others' Histories of the Naval Service. All my many diaries will hopefully be used by some young researcher in the future. When I retired I sent boxes of " Stuff " to Army Archives in Portobello Bks. No interest in writing , I'm a researcher at heart.
    Could you get someone to write it for you...you served in some fascinating times!
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

  16. Likes Flamingo, na grohmiti, Turkey, CTU liked this post
  17. #785
    CQMS
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    669
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    The structure down aft was the senior rates mess and rec space , collect your grub from the galley midships and make your way down aft . The galley stove was an oil burning stove and used the same fuel as the main boilers ( heavy sludge oil ) you needed to be a stoker to get the stove started .
    Am I right in saying that this piece of superstructure was later used in the old DC & FF yard? Or was someone pulling my leg?

  18. #786
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,786
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggie View Post
    Am I right in saying that this piece of superstructure was later used in the old DC & FF yard? Or was someone pulling my leg?
    Was used for BA and entry training
    Time for another break I think......

  19. #787
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's probably still about somewhere...
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  20. #788
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    I note on twitter naval divers involved in the recovery operation in the south east using the ILS Granuaile as a platform.
    Surely this would be better carried out using a dedicated drive support ship? Clearly the 3 TEU spots on the on scene command OPV are insufficient for the required demands.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  21. #789
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    I note on twitter naval divers involved in the recovery operation in the south east using the ILS Granuaile as a platform.
    Surely this would be better carried out using a dedicated drive support ship? Clearly the 3 TEU spots on the on scene command OPV are insufficient for the required demands.
    I assume the 3 TEUs would use more or less all available deck space where as Granuaile has a larger work area?

    She may have better DP too

  22. #790
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Makes the whole 3 spot exercise pointless then.
    Follow the RNZN path and replace the peacocks with a dedicated dive support ship, or ships.
    Happy to see the recovery is now complete, and the NS can return the remains to the family of the deceased.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  23. Likes spider liked this post
  24. #791
    Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Makes the whole 3 spot exercise pointless then.
    Follow the RNZN path and replace the peacocks with a dedicated dive support ship, or ships.
    Happy to see the recovery is now complete, and the NS can return the remains to the family of the deceased.
    I think the ILS Granuaile fitted the bill for the deployment of the UW units using her 20 tonne crane and winches. Her deck space is considerable, About 2/3rds of her length. The P60 space is for carriage and may not be self loaded or discharged. The MRV could include this task in her roles. Just be certain that handling gear suits all items carried, or intended to be carried for an operation. We are stuck at times like this for jointed operations.

  25. Likes na grohmiti, DeV liked this post
  26. #792
    Sergeant Major EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    999
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ILS Granuaile is based here and available to the State. It is not the first time it has helped out. Irish Lights make her available as they do not always have enough work for her.
    Then we have the Marine Institute with the RV Celtic Explorer with similar capabilities and soon to be joined by a new 55m vessel which is replacing the RV Voyager. Both of which are also available for hire.

    It would make little sense for the State to buy a another such vessel which would also not be 100% utilized. What would make sense is a Framework agreement to link them closer to the NS if not already in-place.

  27. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  28. #793
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree. As a secondary function, this capability will always be useful, particularly if there is an actual intention to commence some subsea mine clearance type operation.
    Here is the sequence of events as per Twitter.










    This is a complex operation, we won't always have Granuaile for this, and the Mar Inst vessels have a pretty full calendar. When not engaged as such, said vessel carries out normal patrol duties. In this case we have one naval asset on scene, watching naval work being done on a civilian vessel. It could be all done with one suitably equipped vessel, as was originally the promise with the P60 class, their 3 TEU spots, and heavy duty deck crane.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  29. #794
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    The ILS Granuaile is based here and available to the State. It is not the first time it has helped out. Irish Lights make her available as they do not always have enough work for her.
    Then we have the Marine Institute with the RV Celtic Explorer with similar capabilities and soon to be joined by a new 55m vessel which is replacing the RV Voyager. Both of which are also available for hire.

    It would make little sense for the State to buy a another such vessel which would also not be 100% utilized. What would make sense is a Framework agreement to link them closer to the NS if not already in-place.
    The Marine Institute can operate ROVs etc I think but not divers. Open to correction

    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    I disagree. As a secondary function, this capability will always be useful, particularly if there is an actual intention to commence some subsea mine clearance type operation.
    Here is the sequence of events as per Twitter.










    This is a complex operation, we won't always have Granuaile for this, and the Mar Inst vessels have a pretty full calendar. When not engaged as such, said vessel carries out normal patrol duties. In this case we have one naval asset on scene, watching naval work being done on a civilian vessel. It could be all done with one suitably equipped vessel, as was originally the promise with the P60 class, their 3 TEU spots, and heavy duty deck crane.
    The 3 TEUs on the P60 class mean that they can carry 3 TEUs .... not that the NSDS will be able to operate 3 from their TEUs on board.

    If they did the NS wouldn’t contract vessels for dive training.


    https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/amp/2...amuel-beckett/

    Have a look at them on the model. You probably can’t open the middle one and it looks like you may not be able to get past the crane on the port side

  30. #795
    Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    The Marine Institute can operate ROVs etc I think but not divers. Open to correction






    https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/amp/2...amuel-beckett/

    Have a look at them on the model. You probably can’t open the middle one and it looks like you may not be able to get past the crane on the port side
    The reason for using Granuaile for diving operations is based on overall suitability and safety. The TEU depiction is for a load on/lift off scenario for resupply or supply. Placing containerised work stations on P 60's, may not have been planned as required for the recent operation. The EFFER 80000 crane on the port side deployed to about midship, lifts 7 Tonnes+/-. A logs ship gives a range of flexibility of usages.

  31. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  32. #796
    Sergeant Major EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    I disagree. As a secondary function, this capability will always be useful, particularly if there is an actual intention to commence some subsea mine clearance type operation.
    Here is the sequence of events as per Twitter.










    This is a complex operation, we won't always have Granuaile for this, and the Mar Inst vessels have a pretty full calendar. When not engaged as such, said vessel carries out normal patrol duties. In this case we have one naval asset on scene, watching naval work being done on a civilian vessel. It could be all done with one suitably equipped vessel, as was originally the promise with the P60 class, their 3 TEU spots, and heavy duty deck crane.
    You've convinced me.

    Would it be an idea for a common vessel design; IlS Granuaile is 20yrs old and RV Celtic Explorer is 17, so both might need replacing in the next 10yrs or so.
    A common fleet of 3 vessels, one for NS, one for MI and one for IL. A modular design would then allow the NS to use one of the others when their vessel in drydock etc.

  33. Dislikes DeV disliked this post
  34. #797
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea, but 3 very different organisations with different needs and structures. Mar Inst are already building a replacement for their smaller Research vessel. It is a modified stern trawler design. ILS like similar bodies in the uk, prefer a modification of an offshore support ship, with helideck foread, large cranes and a combination of daughter craft, large open working space aft, with long reach cranes to handle Nav Buoys safely. Station keeping is vital, so dig level DP is mandatory.This design wouldn't really suit Mar Inst, whose primary role is fisheries research.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  35. Likes DeV liked this post
  36. #798
    C/S CTU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed!
    I mean, annihilation's bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

  37. #799
    Sergeant Major EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damen do another design which the Swedes have already 3 vessels in service:
    https://products.damen.com/en/ranges...se-vessel-8116

    Kongsberg (ec Rolls Royce Marine) have a similar vessel in service with Norway and Iceland:
    https://www.kongsberg.com/maritime/p...12-coastguard/

    Much closer to the size of the MRAV1600 is another Damen design:
    https://products.damen.com/en/ranges...se-vessel-6214

    Not to be forgotten the French Navy have just added to B2M vessels with similar capabilities:
    http://www.kership.com/en/vessels/b2m
    Last edited by EUFighter; 25th January 2020 at 09:07.

  38. Thanks na grohmiti thanked for this post
    Likes Tempest, CTU liked this post
  39. #800
    Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    Damen do another design which the Swedes have already 3 vessels in service:
    https://products.damen.com/en/ranges...se-vessel-8116

    Kongsberg (ec Rolls Royce Marine) have a similar vessel in service with Norway and Iceland:
    https://www.kongsberg.com/maritime/p...12-coastguard/

    Much closer to the size of the MRAV1600 is another Damen design:
    https://products.damen.com/en/ranges...se-vessel-6214

    Not to be forgotten the French Navy have just added to B2M vessels with similar capabilities:
    http://www.kership.com/en/vessels/b2m
    Whatever ship we get built for the Multi Role, it must add to jointedness within the Navy, RAS etc, and also military deployments, plus HADR incidents, plus towing capability, self Defence, and HQ facilities at Sea and support to those on shore. The first considerations are Speed, Range, and Tonnage Payload. How many Tonnes to be loaded and how many Tonnes to be discharged to or for others, and what is the take up of ballast to keep the vessel operable at sea.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •