This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The conceptual Mine detection is interesting and someday it may work. The US is looking at a suitable remotely controlled surface vessels of low magnetic signature. By and large tethering anything to the ship keeps it in harms way, right now we are still with Mine hunters, clearance divers, and MCMV's.

Scroll down to the clearance of the approaches, that was 14 years ago

Comment

• The RN are among the world leaders on MCM and UMM Qasr has been their area of operations for many years. Conventional aspects of MCM remain paramount but certainly any system that will keep the human operator at distance from danger is to be encouraged. They use REMUS, Seafox, and Cobra as remote systems but are not impressed at the proclaimed Power Point presentations of newer systems until such systems are designed exclusively for MCM with proven software and reliability.

Comment

• https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/12/...s-patrol-ship/

Interesting concept. Might be a big initial spend, but could balance out over the lifetime of the vessel. Thoughts?
        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
          https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/12/...s-patrol-ship/

Interesting concept. Might be a big initial spend, but could balance out over the lifetime of the vessel. Thoughts?
          Can it do a boarding? Can it measure nets, check catch, etc?

Can it conduct a tow or take people out of the water?

Can it do firefighting and damage control on another vessel?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
            Can it do a boarding? Can it measure nets, check catch, etc?

Can it conduct a tow or take people out of the water?

Can it do firefighting and damage control on another vessel?
            I'm no expert but I'm guessing probably the answer to your question is 'No' Dev.
            'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• In fairness, it is a good idea for monitoring and surveillance

Comment

• It could be an option to have at sea, patrolling a broader area, and then call in a manned vessel if the requirements above are needed. You could in effect double or triple the area patrolled and keep the same crew requirements.
                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Autonomous ships (let alone patrol ships) are as far off as driverless cars. I can see it being practical as daughter craft, in the same manner as a UAV, but only on a large scale.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Autonomy at sea

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    Autonomous ships (let alone patrol ships) are as far off as driverless cars. I can see it being practical as daughter craft, in the same manner as a UAV, but only on a large scale.
                    I agree. Autonomy in any environment is for surveillance only, deployment of a weapon system, or in the case of MCM to put safe distance between human operatives and an unsweepable ordinance. In the latter case technical operatives are close by with a choice to place explosives close to an object or use an impact detonation system in it's stead.
                    It is all for discussion at sea-- NO lighthouses, No Buoyage, No crews, No Bridges on ships, all lead by the Electronic Industries whose first duty is to create an ever increasing use for their possibilities. The whole electronic atmosphere can be wiped out for weeks by a mistake made by the PRK!!

Comment

• Before they go, maybe during the less busy winter season in the Mediterranean... the opportunity could be taken to briefly send the future retirement candidates LE Ciara or LE Orla over, so that the point could also be made that as they were built to military standards, and are (presumably) better ‘armoured/sink resistant’ and fast, compared to the nature of the rest of the modern NS fleet, and so they would be most suitable (of the NS fleet) for going ‘a little’ closer to the Libyan coast and danger if needs be.

This point and consideration could then be recalled at a later date, when discussing replacements, and when looking for the mooted additional NS larger vessel.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhingeNot View Post
                        Before they go, maybe during the less busy winter season in the Mediterranean... the opportunity could be taken to briefly send the future retirement candidates LE Ciara or LE Orla over, so that the point could also be made that as they were built to military standards, and are (presumably) better ‘armoured/sink resistant’ and fast, compared to the nature of the rest of the modern NS fleet, and so they would be most suitable (of the NS fleet) for going ‘a little’ closer to the Libyan coast and danger if needs be.

This point and consideration could then be recalled at a later date, when discussing replacements, and when looking for the mooted additional NS larger vessel.
                        Too thirsty on fuel for the journey, plus operating for 2 weeks in the AO at a time.

Not RAS capable any longer.

Limited water carrying capability

Too maintainance intensive

Limited deck space for migrant embarkation.

Comment

Before they go, maybe during the less busy winter season in the Mediterranean... the opportunity could be taken to briefly send the future retirement candidates LE Ciara or LE Orla over, so that the point could also be made that as they were built to military standards, and are (presumably) better ‘armoured/sink resistant’ and fast, compared to the nature of the rest of the modern NS fleet, and so they would be most suitable (of the NS fleet) for going ‘a little’ closer to the Libyan coast and danger if needs be.

Not sure how the Peacock's would be more useful/survivable tbh, I mean if you are talking about modern weapons I'd say they are no more safe than the rest of the hulls and given their size perhaps even less so?
                          IMO if we want some insight into what enhancements for the Eithne replacement, go get a few personnel attached to some of the current EU warships.

Comment

• I was thinking more to illustrate the point to the public, and the non-military powers-that-be, i.e. that they are the only NS 'fighty' vessels,.. not so much that they were most suitable to the mission overall.

Also, hasn't the emphasis changed a little bit from the pickup/drop off, to the anti-smuggler (and the small arms they may carry) mission, the possibility of getting closer to the coast, and either protecting NGO ships from the nascent Libyan coast guard group(s)/ and or working and training with the coastguards... I'm not sure what the state of play is right now?!

Comment

I was thinking more to illustrate the point to the public, and the non-military powers-that-be, i.e. that they are the only NS 'fighty' vessels,..
                              I still don't exactly get your point tbh? What's the reason to send the Peacock's?

Also, hasn't the emphasis changed a little bit from the pickup/drop off, to the anti-smuggler (and the small arms they may carry) mission, the possibility of getting closer to the coast, and either protecting NGO ships from the nascent Libyan coast guard group(s)/ and or working and training with the coastguards... I'm not sure what the state of play is right now?!
                              Don't think we've transitioned to Sophia yet.

Comment

• Just that if Irish NGO's, the government or public at large, wanted the NS to take a more 'robust' part in such missions, or for argument sake, anti-piracy missions, where they may get shot at...take damage, that that is not what the Irish NS ships are really designed for... and would be in danger...

and IF that is the type of mission of interest, that the Peacock replacements, and the forthcoming lager NS vessel, may have to be more expensive than people expect, and be bigger/heavier, and/or carry more equipment and weapons etc., to be similarly more capable of absorbing damage for example, or alternatively, that people would have to accept that they would be fairly vulnerable (like the rest of the NS vessels) if the extra money is not forthcoming (or just not get involved due to the risk?).

Similar thoughts for considering any of the other current NS ships for more dangerous missions, arguably, the Peacocks are the last examples of 'fighting' vessels i.e. able to give out AND take abuse (not built to commercial, but military standards)? Deploying the Peacocks say closer to the Libyan coast (if that is what is required),even briefly, could give an opportunity to make this point, and get questions asked re: the direction of all NS ship capabilities, and suitable missions.

(e.g. didn't a recent NS jaunt to London, that lasted less than a week, get lots of public airtime and have the public raise all sorts of questions)..

Comment

Working...
                                X