Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    A few relevant sections of the Defence Acts:

Section 317 - you can't wear a foreign uniform in the State without the Minister's written permission
    Section 312 - illegal to recruit for a foreign military within the State

Most relevant is Section 241, no a member of the RDF can't join a foreign military - punishment up to 2 years in prison
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1954/...41.html#sec241
    It's actually very useful that you brought Section 241 to my attention - I'm far too pretty for prison.

Comment

Originally posted by eoshea View Post

I found out recently that Irish nationals can apply to work with the RAF as reservists (as well as regulars) without having to wait the usual 5 years of residency which non-UK-Irish people must. Not only that, but the person can serve in the RAF whilst still living in Ireland (except when training/on duty, of course) - this really surprised me.
      So a serving Russian soldier could potentially join the British armed forces and they wouldn't mind.

It probably doesn't say it on the website because they believe that it is a rhetorical question.
      Dev, i was implying Irishmen living in Ireland from the original post and eoshea's later comment stating you can still be a serving member of ONH.

i cannot see this being the case if put to the test to be honest.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

If in the Reserves in two countries, what happens when both sets of call-up papers drop on the doormat simultaneously?
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          If in the Reserves in two countries, what happens when both sets of call-up papers drop on the doormat simultaneously?
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

don't piss in your own pond.

if you lived in the Republic, you'd go with ONH - the TA in the UK might send you nasty letters when you didn't turn up, but they can't do much to someone who lives in another country. the Irish state however could fcuk you over left right and centre - and then do so again. and once more for giggles...

works the other way around obviously.

Comment

Realistically, the RDF are never going to be called up as such under the current legislation. So this will not happen unless the law changes - or unless something very unexpected and serious indeed occurred (some kind of terrorist attack; and even then, only if the PDF were deemed too few in numbers to deal with it).

To be honest, I love the idea of serving in my own country's Reserve but I'd also like the opportunity of actually doing something other than training as part of it. I hope we become more truly integrated in due course. I'll give things a year or so, see how they go, but if there's no chance of any sort of actual operations by then - even just guard duties, etc - then I might be giving Aldergrove a shout.

Comment

Section 8

Comment

This is surely a wind up. Or, is this just the most naive person in the englsih speaking world? Not a ****ing chance that this would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Vickers View Post
                    MOD: Just a reminder - be careful what you post. We are not allowed by law to recruit for foreign military forces. As long as the discussion remains a "general" discussion it is OK but direct recruiting will result in removal or modification of the post and points.
                    Does FMP's post (#10) count as an attempt to recruit?
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

If you answer yes ,,,,,,, your told bugger off home till your contracts up, or you produce your discharge papers. Its like Section 7, its a have to ask. "This may sound like a stupid question, but are you or have you ever been found guilty of mass gnome kidnapping for ransom ,,,,,,,,?"
                      Last edited by FMP; 3 May 2015, 19:37.
                      We travel not for trafficking alone,
                      By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
                      For lust of knowing what should not be known,
                      We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

Originally posted by Napp View Post
                        This is surely a wind up. Or, is this just the most naive person in the englsih speaking world? Not a ****ing chance that this would work.
                        In what sense is this either a wind-up or naivety? If you mean because ONH forbids it, fair enough: I hadn't known that until the relevant rules were highlighted to me above.

But then again, I had simply been pointing out that as far as the RAF recruiters are concerned (and I don't see what they'd have to gain by lying), a person can serve in both Reserves at the same time.

Other than that, this would take a LOT of commitment in terms of time. Two sets of 2-week FTT's each year, a minimum of 12 days annual training on top of that for the RAF (usually delivered over entire weekends rather than weekly parades), about the same again for the RDF (between parades and weekend camps). But some people - especially if they're working part-time, are self-employed, unemployed, full-time students, etc, could probably see their way to doing this if they wanted.

I guess it's a moot point anyway, what with Section 241 as mentioned above. Might be of interest to anyone not in the RDF and willing to travel North though.

Comment

Originally posted by FMP View Post
                          If you answer yes ,,,,,,, your told bugger off home till your contracts up, or you produce your discharge papers. Its like Section 7, its a have to ask. "This may sound like a stupid question, but are you or have you ever been found guilty of mass gnome kidnapping for ransom ,,,,,,,,?"
                          How did you know about those gnomes?! Look, I was young...we'd been drinking...it all just started as a bit of fun until Jimmy kicked that one little fella off the edge of the wall....

Comment

Relevant to this thread - something to consider

Two improvised explosive devices have been found close to a Territorial Army base in Northern Ireland.

Comment

Relevant to this thread - something to consider

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0504/698716-derry-ied/
                              Territorial Army?

been a little while since we had one of them
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

There was a civilian building contractor murdered in that same base in about 2002 / 03.

VIIED...they left a lunch box in the tea hut packed full of explosives.

He went in to tidy up...picked it up...and was killed.

Similar device employed at Magilligan ranges around the same time.

Army water bottle this time...blew the arms off the MOD Security Guard who picked it up.

He lived.

Don't be under any illusions about joining the Reserve Forces in NI...you'll be a target.

You need to weigh that up.

You'll also be a target for merciless bullying from the rest of HM Forces if you join the RAF...
                                'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Working...
                                X