RAF Service (Reservists) by Irish Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAF Service (Reservists) by Irish Nationals

Just curious to hear others' views or experiences of this.

I found out recently that Irish nationals can apply to work with the RAF as reservists (as well as regulars) without having to wait the usual 5 years of residency which non-UK-Irish people must. Not only that, but the person can serve in the RAF whilst still living in Ireland (except when training/on duty, of course) - this really surprised me.

Anyone here ever know someone who did this? And if so, how did it go for them?

never heard of it - but go for it.

i assume you would be based in RAF Aldergrove?

remember you will get paid for all time served, and they will pay upto 50 miles travel each way to get there - it won;t cover all of your journey i am sure but it's a start.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by eoshea View Post
      Just curious to hear others' views or experiences of this.

I found out recently that Irish nationals can apply to work with the RAF as reservists (as well as regulars) without having to wait the usual 5 years of residency which non-UK-Irish people must. Not only that, but the person can serve in the RAF whilst still living in Ireland (except when training/on duty, of course) - this really surprised me.

Anyone here ever know someone who did this? And if so, how did it go for them?

Not sure about that one dude.

Comment

I actually phoned the UK Reserves info line yesterday and they told me that an Irish citizen could join up with no delay. (Surprise number 1).

Then I spoke with the recruitment NCO at Aldergrove today - asked him a bunch of questions - and he confirmed that they've had a few lads from the Republic serving with them (but living in Dublin, etc, reserve or regular) (surprise number 2).

I've no intention of joining full-time but - compared with the DF here - I'm surprised more lads don't do it. You can even join quite a few units, e.g. Regimental Gunner, up until 36 which would work nicely for guys too old to join the PDF here.

They also don't have any rule against serving in the DF at the same time - anyone here know if it's forbidden at the Irish end? If not - and if my wife doesn't divorce me at the very suggestion of it - I might give it some thought. Not going to prioritise it over the RDF here though.

Comment

A few relevant sections of the Defence Acts:

Section 317 - you can't wear a foreign uniform in the State without the Minister's written permission
          Section 312 - illegal to recruit for a foreign military within the State

Most relevant is Section 241, no a member of the RDF can't join a foreign military - punishment up to 2 years in prison
          The electronic Irish Statute Book (eISB) comprises the Acts of the Oireachtas (Parliament), Statutory Instruments, Legislation Directory, Constitution and a limited number of pre-1922 Acts.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            A few relevant sections of the Defence Acts:

Most relevant is Section 241, no a member of the RDF can't join a foreign military - punishment up to 2 years in prison
            http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1954/...41.html#sec241
            i'd like to see that one stand up in the European Court of Human Rights!
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
              i'd like to see that one stand up in the European Court of Human Rights!
              I suppose they mean at the same time, obviously you can get your RDF discharge and serve where you want after that
              You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Exactly, if your discharged your not a member of the DF.

RGJ, countries wouldn't allow you to be for example a member of the French army and the British Army at the same time!

If your an Irish citizen you must live in the UK to join the Army Reserve:
                http://www.army.mod.uk/join/How-to-join.

According to the RAF you have to ring them

Comment

Dev, i understand that and rightly so, but given we have deviants and low lifes who we cannot send to jail for committing very serious criminal offences due to the ECHR stepping in - i highly doubt they would see a man behind bars for this offence.

obviously the right thing to do would be to discharge from RDF, but if the RDF don't know a lad is joining the RAF (afterall the RAF don't appear care if you are a member of another country's armed forces) this scenario could happen, and i cannot see any man doing porridge for it.
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    According to the RAF you have to ring them
                    That reminds me .

We travel not for trafficking alone,
                    By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
                    For lust of knowing what should not be known,
                    We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      Dev, i understand that and rightly so, but given we have deviants and low lifes who we cannot send to jail for committing very serious criminal offences due to the ECHR stepping in - i highly doubt they would see a man behind bars for this offence.

obviously the right thing to do would be to discharge from RDF, but if the RDF don't know a lad is joining the RAF (afterall the RAF don't appear care if you are a member of another country's armed forces) this scenario could happen, and i cannot see any man doing porridge for it.
                      So a serving Russian soldier could potentially join the British armed forces and they wouldn't mind.

It probably doesn't say it on the website because they believe that it is a rhetorical question.

Comment

MOD: Just a reminder - be careful what you post. We are not allowed by law to recruit for foreign military forces. As long as the discussion remains a "general" discussion it is OK but direct recruiting will result in removal or modification of the post and points.
                        "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

I wonder how many will jump ship if the RDF are canned in the next year or two!!!
                          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Well as per what I've posted the British Army Reserve won't take you if you live in the Republic.

Comment

Just to say; apologies if the thread comes off as recruitment-oriented. I just found it intriguing that a, say, Dublin-based guy could - at least at the RAF end of things - live here, do his RDF days/hours, and then travel to Belfast, etc, and serve with them.

But given those regs I hadn't known about, I guess that's that - I'm prioritising the RDF for the foreseeable.

Comment

Working...
                              X