No announcement yet.

Suggesting a new Cav ORBAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We dont have Cav Battalions. Even the squadrons we have each while doing similar roles, all are equipped differently.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

If we look at the UK light cavalry model, the Jackal is the vehicle of choice. With the Mowag, the amount of time it takes a trooper to get qualified to be able to drive the thing and be a gunner on it is pretty immense. Looking at things from a Reserve Cav perspective, you'll never have a reserve trooper who can fill the full role in the Cav bar being a dismount, meaning they cannot really assist their regular counterparts in a like for like capacity.

Using standard weapons like the 0.5 and GPMG, and the weight of the vehicle being equivalent to the Merc's, conversion could be a quick process.

Would a lighter cavalry model for three troops, using a jackal like vehicle, a HQ troop using the LTAVs that we currently have, and the Support troop with MRV's make sense? Light and agile, that can pack a punch.
      Last edited by ODIN; 19 January 2020, 20:13.
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Interesting video of what UK’s light cavalry (Jackal mounted) are trialling in Poland (a year ago)

Comment

I’m sold on the utility of quads for infantry (and I’m sure they would have utility at times in Cav too) but question:

I’m sure that they don’t have the range or speed of a GS on road … so on the approach march how do they get there?

trailer?
          DROPS?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            I’m sold on the utility of quads for infantry (and I’m sure they would have utility at times in Cav too) but question:

I’m sure that they don’t have the range or speed of a GS on road … so on the approach march how do they get there?

trailer?
            DROPS?
            Looks like the Polish troops were using the quads. I'm a massive fan of the Jackal and Coyote platforms though, fantastic light cavalry capability and can haul more kit and firepower than a GS or FFR.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post

Looks like the Polish troops were using the quads. I'm a massive fan of the Jackal and Coyote platforms though, fantastic light cavalry capability and can haul more kit and firepower than a GS or FFR.
              Unless it’s cold / wet

I assume that the quads are on trailers until needed

Comment

Unless it’s cold / wet
                Clearly not a concern for the Light Cavalry units of the British Army. Something to be said for 360 visibility all the same.

I'd assume that the quads, if part of the Cavalry Orbat with this unit, would operate in close proximity to SQN HQ.

Comment

Clearly not a concern for the Light Cavalry units of the British Army. Something to be said for 360 visibility all the same.
                  not for the guys sending them out but it will effect their persistence in the role

I'd assume that the quads, if part of the Cavalry Orbat with this unit, would operate in close proximity to SQN HQ.
                  Probably, to replace/supplement the Dispatch riders/motorcyclists

my question remains though, I assume that if 1 Cav was deploying to Shannon in a military (not ATCP) role that the quads would be carried to say Limerick on a trailer and then deployed rather than driven the whole way?

I'm not too familiar with the road capabilities of quads hence the question

Comment

Probably, to replace/supplement the Dispatch riders/motorcyclists

my question remains though, I assume that if 1 Cav was deploying to Shannon in a military (not ATCP) role that the quads would be carried to say Limerick on a trailer and then deployed rather than driven the whole way?

I'm not too familiar with the road capabilities of quads hence the question
                    I would assume they would be transported by trailer. This is the case for DR bikes at present, there is also a dedicated vehicle for transport of bikes, an Iveco Van I believe.

Comment

I'm a massive fan of the Jackal and Coyote platforms though, fantastic light cavalry capability and can haul more kit and firepower than a GS or FFR.
                      the more i look at the coyote i believe it could be a great mix for the squadrons, giving a good light heavy mix with coyote and MRV and getting rid of GS and FFRs use within the troop and also give vehicles that the reserve element could get to use and fully qualify on.
                      Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by madmark View Post

the more i look at the coyote i believe it could be a great mix for the squadrons, giving a good light heavy mix with coyote and MRV and getting rid of GS and FFRs use within the troop and also give vehicles that the reserve element could get to use and fully qualify on.
                        We were always told the GS and the FFR were only in the orbat until suitable vehicles became available. Useless for recce if only the front seat pax can see where he is going, because all the other windows are fogged up.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

We were always told the GS and the FFR were only in the orbat until suitable vehicles became available. Useless for recce if only the front seat pax can see where he is going, because all the other windows are fogged up.
                          ya.... iv done plenty of exercises as recce CPL in a FFR the most unsuitable recce vehicle and that was 20 odd years ago and still waiting
                          Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by madmark View Post

Would probably be a lot more cost effective than the CRV's per troop, and also, easier to get up to speed on with a GPMG and HMG being the vehicle armaments. A troop of four Jackal 2's with a Land Cruiser for Troop Commander and 2 DR's.

Comment

Would probably be a lot more cost effective than the CRV's per troop, and also, easier to get up to speed on with a GPMG and HMG being the vehicle armaments. A troop of four Jackal 2's with a Land Cruiser for Troop Commander and 2 DR's.
                              defiantly, i think a make up of 2 jackal 2s recce section ,2 MRVs armour section with the troop commander and troop SGT in LATV and a DR

Comment

No mention of drones, portable; AT-4 or other for self defence; guns bigger than 30mm and no mention of integrated B vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                                X