LE Macha 1st Overseas Deployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LE Macha 1st Overseas Deployment

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Does any one else think that P63 will be named the L.E. W.B. Yeates
    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
    It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Thanks for posting the link. When I clicked on the link containing the ships crew list, the first name I saw was my late fathers name listed as stoker. Another name I recognise was that of A/S Luke Cassidy RIP of Cobh. Luke worked in Verolme Dockyard after the Naval Service and was a renowned photographer recording the history of the Naval Service. Thanks again for the post it brings back great memories.

Comment

Cdr McKenna's letters in the article are worth a read.

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post
          It is the logical step.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

In the film.....................which one is Murph...........

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post
              Nope

Some fascinating photos in there.

the footage has been aired before back in about 1997/8 for the 50 anniversary of the service in a documentary RTE did on the NS. I have it on vhs.
              Last edited by hptmurphy; 13 June 2015, 01:59.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I notice they mention there is only one surviving member of that particular trip. Does that mean that the Great Jim Brady has gone on to his eternal reward? I recall him mentioning he was one of those who rendered honours to the remains on the journey home.

Comment

If you follow the links in the article to the DF archives page they have a crew list, his name doesn't appear on it.

Comment

Naming p63

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    It is the logical step.
                    The obvious name is in fact LE MACHA. We need to re-establish tradition and pride in our foundation and history. Selecting people over mythology will always be too political in nature AND DIVISIVE.

Comment

That list is incomplete. The Corvette had a much larger crew than that.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                        I notice they mention there is only one surviving member of that particular trip. Does that mean that the Great Jim Brady has gone on to his eternal reward? I recall him mentioning he was one of those who rendered honours to the remains on the journey home.
                        Brady only enlisted in 1956 and left in 1962...great is hardly a word I would attribute to the man!

My reference gives the crew at 5 officers and 74 ratings. McIvors book, I'm wondering was this a wartime compliment as peace time compliments tend to be smaller, but I do agree the list published does seem very light. Especially for a foreign trip where compliments are normally increased.
                        Last edited by hptmurphy; 14 June 2015, 00:13.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          Brady only enlisted in 1956 and left in 1962...great is hardly a word I would attribute to the man!

My reference gives the crew at 5 officers and 74 ratings. McIvors book, I'm wondering was this a wartime compliment as peace time compliments tend to be smaller, but I do agree the list published does seem very light. Especially for a foreign trip where compliments are normally increased.
                          was this Brady the one who wrote two books of his escapades in the Naval Service?

Comment

Yup. I am sure I read in his books about his trip on that voyage, reciting Yeats poetry as he stood his guard at the remains. But I may have it confused with someone else who wrote of their time in the early Naval Service.

Comment

Yup. I am sure I read in his books about his trip on that voyage, reciting Yeats poetry as he stood his guard at the remains.
                              Luke Cassidy said those lines in RTEs tribute to the NS back in '96.

was this Brady the one who wrote two books of his escapades in the Naval Service?
                              the infamous 'Masher' Brady...used to have a letter in the Irish Press every other week on the NS.

Comment

Working...
                              X