Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: How long away from home as a Reservist ?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7 days or less

3 10.00%
  • 14 days or less

5 16.67%
  • 28 days or less

9 30.00%
  • 60 days or less

5 16.67%
  • 180 days or less

7 23.33%
  • 1 year or less

1 3.33%
  • more than 1 year

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How much time could you as a reservist put in

If the call came ( hypothetical , not getting into whys and wherefores ) and volunteers were asked for for serious, operational Service ( away from home, but not necessarily overseas, key here is you DONT get back to home every night ).

Assume that it is NOT an emergency/1939/Civil War and it's a call for Volunteers ONLY

How much time could you put in on an annual basis in a single block ONLY - remember you are VOLUNTEERING . It is paid same as a PDF man of the same rank with MSA but no long service increments

Edit : 1. to clarify : This is fulltime service as a reservist NOT as PDF , under the current T's and C's, with NO employment protection. i.e. to repeat, under the current terms and conditions.
    Last edited by trellheim; 22nd June 2015 at 19:22.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming the employer had no issue with it, it's pretty much indefinite really. If the employer had an issue with it then I reckon around 14 days.
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any thing more than a month and I'd be calling myself full time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I said 60 days or less, which I'd be happy enough to do as long as I was getting paid a decent amount, but I somehow doubt that my employer would be happy to let me go for that long, anything over 2 weeks and I'd prob be looking for a job after!

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't risk more than 2 weeks.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heared today That a reservist who had been on a course full time training, I'm not sure how many days, enquired about the pension and benefits as he had been over a certain amount of days. Any way top brass shit their pants and now the days will be capped.

7. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't that why the 42 day cap exists

9. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure, but I heared the number of days is to be cut

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the pension issue has always been known in the backround, in reality I don't understand the problems - it'll hardly qualify the bod for 1% or whatever of the PDF pension!
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pension is an old hat one and clouds the fact that RDF service while paid is not insurable for Contributory Pension in the normal run of things. The "as-was" rate K which was only brought in is only the health levy as I recall. RDF service is not classed as employment , even though it is paid, in the SW acts for all sorts of reasons ... see RDFRA slavering in the background.

All of the brigades that pay RDF - DFTC, 1,2, NS all have a chap whose job it is to see if you go over the 42 that DOD must specially authorize. There are a few who do and each case is ( theoretically, but not always ) looked at on merit .

As for mandays, there was/is/are shitloads on offer - that was the trade for pulling the grat. If they pull the days I want the grat back because fk sake it really isn't worth the money at the moment, its by a long long way the worst financially its ever been to serve, its costing nearly more to be in than not.
    Last edited by trellheim; 22nd June 2015 at 22:57.

13. Thanks DeV, hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmiti, The real Jack, DeV, Buck liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no interest in accruing a pension, but I do want my gratuity back.

I'd consider giving up 2 weeks annual leave for operational requirements, but given that I get very little back from the RDF, I'd be picky about what I'm giving up my time for. I'm NOT giving up 2 weeks family time or paid employment to just stag on, end of. Shit jobs like that are the preserve of the PDF and are offset by a pensionable profession with adventurous training jollies and overseas tour opportunities. I value my time more and more recently and I'd expect better validation for the time, effort and commitment I've had to put into my training.

I'd rather spend those 2 weeks shivering my way through a beasting tactical Ex in the Glen in the depths of winter, than spend 2 weeks in summer manning a barrier under the guise of "operational purpose".
    Last edited by SwiftandSure; 23rd June 2015 at 00:23.

15. Likes DeV, Buck, Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the past I would have done four , but it was from my annual leave entitlement with former employer and I was paid grat and the pay was a full pre 2009 rates.

It was feasible, now..why would I take a cut in pay to do a job which basically has no bearing on any future career and I have no protections while undertaking that role.

I would suggest that if the DF want people in excess of the current 42 days they should be issued with contracts of definite duration . with all those protections offered in law.

I gave the state enough of my free time in the past both with and without pay, not sure if I'd do it again outside of my regular employment.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

17. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, na grohmiti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I do shift work, pretty much every time I roll up for weekend commitments, I'm taking time off from my holiday entitlement. So like Swifty, without protections, at one go, 14 days would be the max for me. Furthermore, my job restricts more than 2 consecutive weeks off, without someone else covering my spot. The latter can be problematic at the best of times
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

19. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it is a small sample size but it interesting the percentage of people who can commit more than 14 days.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it is a small sample size but it interesting the percentage of people who can commit more than 14 days.
    That is why I was interested in asking the question, its not something the skills survey asked and I thought a random sample might be worth gathering ( although IMO is biased because you have found your way here, and so are more committed than the norm ). I'd note that I mean the question as "once-off" as well , not recurring
    Last edited by trellheim; 24th June 2015 at 10:05.

22. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    another point to note here is the relatively long service of most people ( a lot here have families and solid jobs ) , so there is a lot of young 3* input missing in the above survey

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    That is why I was interested in asking the question, its not something the skills survey asked and I thought a random sample might be worth gathering ( although IMO is biased because you have found your way here, and so are more committed than the norm ). I'd note that I mean the question as "once-off" as well , not recurring
    It isn't necessarily relevant. If your a doctor you can still do the job no matter if you do 2 weekends or 6 weeks

3 R
    Post Thanks / Like
    another point to note here is the relatively long service of most people ( a lot here have families and solid jobs ) , so there is a lot of young 3* input missing in the above survey
    Probably 10% of the 3*'s currently serving are here....

BTW it is classed as employment but its specific use employment, the 42 days comes from the 20% Working hour pension entitlement
    Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
    Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

26. Likes Bravo20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If your a doctor you can still do the job no matter if you do 2 weekends or 6 weeks
    Your wife obviously has different views than mine

28. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your wife obviously has different views than mine
    Hahaha more than likely not

What I meant was you could do the job as a doctor for the RDF for a weekend or a week your still covering a job

30. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    GPs are self-employed and not really representative of most of us wage-slaves.

32. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well say a surveyor may just be required to instruct on a small module of a course or on a working group (hours/days) or for a longer period of time as part of a project (weeks)

Post Thanks / Like
    No. That is NOT what I asked. I want the longest continuous block of service you can do. This is NOT training it is operational Service away from your home and family ( and to be absolutely clear you're NOT able to go home until its over ). Start other threads for itty-bitty training stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    The skills survey isn't just necessarily about ops only

Post Thanks / Like
    SO ? this thread is about this poll. Please don't drag it off into a different place, its not to discuss the skills survey. Start a different thread if you want.

37. Likes na grohmiti liked this post

Thread Information