Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make the DF more cost effective / more efficient / aid economic recovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make the DF more cost effective / more efficient / aid economic recovery?

Normally the threads are how we need jet fighters, MBTs, frigates etc etc

The reality is when you have families sleeping in cars and hospitals refusing to take people on waiting lists the DF is way down the list of priorities.

So how can the DF make meaningful changes to (further) improve cost effectiveness and efficiency?

And/or aid the economic recovery?
    Last edited by DeV; 7 August 2015, 12:20.

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    ...So how can the DF make meaningful changes to (further) improve cost effectiveness and efficiency?
    allowances for doing a job you're already being paid to do.

families incur extra costs while the DF member is away - it can be childcare, or taxi's, or half a hundred other things that there only being one adult/driver in the household makes more expensive/more of an arse than when there's two.

however, a rough, back of a fag packet calculation regarding the Med SAR operation suggests that each member of the crew of LE Eithne received some €5850 in OPSA, totalling a spectacular and - producing nothing extra for the state over its normal wage bill - bill of €468,000.

each 3 months of this OP costs the DF half a million Euro in allowances alone.

(€65 per day, 80 crew, x 90 days - told you it was rough...)

by all means provide a realistic allowance to take account of the additional costs to families when one of their number sods off for 3 months, or even just provide expences, but the best part of six grand each?

how many desert/arid uniforms does half a million Euro buy? how many DMR's does it buy? how many flying hours for the AW-139's does it buy? how many 7.62 Minimi's does it buy?

Comment

To be cruel axe the band the horsey school and well the reserve!! Now tbh id like to see the horses gone but which of my suggestions is most likely.

Comment

Easy enough plenty of rope in the Bord Snip reports ( and axing the reserve is up there with the rest )
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Yeah I think the equitation school would be first on my list, but of course I am biased. I think there is so much money in Irish Horse Racing that its a joke that the government is paying for this.

Use of Military Medical installations and military medical personnel by the HSE, there are similar symbiosis that happen in the UK
          I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Plenty of money can be saved:

1: Axe the reserve straight away.

2: Axe the equitation school.

3: Axe 1/3 rd of the officers.

Give all money saved to the Naval Service and Aer Corps.

More ships, more helos and give real medium lift capability.

Comment

Reduction to one brigade structure, made up of 5 Bn battle groups with associate CS and CSS units. This would see a reduction in the number of Generals, Colonels and Lt Colonels. Scrap Aer Corps taxi for ministers and government, and the airframes associated with providing the service. Scrap the PC9's too and refocus the Aer Corps to Battle Taxi's for the Army and Maritime duties for the NS. In fact, there might be an argument to scrap the AC completely and have an Army Air Wing and an NS Air Wing, again cutting the tonnes of brass that currently exists.

Scrap the horsey school, and the practice of sending officers who lack degrees to Galway (or DIT as some have gone to) to get them post commissioning. Introduce short service commissions in a similar fashion to the British Army. If a legimate role for the Reserve cannot be found, scrap it. Procure equipment in conjunction with the UK to potentially reduce costs.
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Before everyone puts their favourite saddle on the hobbyhorse known as "Axe the reserve".

Current ( 2015 estimates ) - - 677,291,000 € for Defence purposes in toto.
                RDF Pay ( Same estimates ) 2,150,000 €

by my numbers it would save 0.3% of the current budget.

Edit : forgot link to estimates http://per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/Master-Copyv1.pdf
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

There presumably is a reason that the UK, USA and others are reducing their full-time componant and increasing the size of their reserves. This reason might be that the cost of maintaining the reserves is much smaller than maintaining full-time forces. They are effectively soldiers on zero-hour contracts...

Just a thought...

Regarding a role for the forces that would increase it's visibility and give VFM for the state, some sort of Genderamarie role providing back-up for Gardai on patrol, policing high-visibility large crowd numbers, back-up at road-blocks etc where an extra pair of hands is useful to do the heavy lifting, etc.

Or is the whole Army constantly on pre-UN training, deployment, post-UN leave, or training?
                  Last edited by Flamingo; 7 August 2015, 17:40.
                  'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                  'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                  Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                  He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                  http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                    Before everyone puts their favourite saddle on the hobbyhorse known as "Axe the reserve".

Current ( 2015 estimates ) - - 677,291,000 € for Defence purposes in toto.
                    RDF Pay ( Same estimates ) 2,150,000 €

by my numbers it would save 0.3% of the current budget.

Edit : forgot link to estimates http://per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/Master-Copyv1.pdf
                    It's .3% of the budget but its still 2.15 million a year, every year.
                    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

It was noted on a previous report that on any day, at least 20% of the manpower of the DF is engaged in sport, courses, education and other non-gun-carrying/daily duty activity. It was also pointed out that to sustain the approximate 1000 pers abroad on UN duty, it essentially requires the input of the rest of the DF, except the NS/AC, in terms of training, leave, replacements, stores support, transport, medical,etc,etc. Personnel on routine leave and rest consume about 15 % of personnel per day. Then you add blips like unit-scale exercises, the NS in the Med, State ceremonies, unscheduled stuff like accidents and disasters......Personally, I'd chop the Pony Club tomorrow. Horse racing in Ireland is already well catered for. I'd have the Don on a diet, too, as a lot of it's activity can be done by civvies or needs direct integration with the Army. I'd also be taking the surgeon's knife to the Reserve, the Bands, the need to go overseas for courses (the DF is apparently unaware that manufacturers will come to you and train you at home!)

Comment

I still agree on a need for a Reserve but only if the issue about job retention and pay for hours is realistically sorted. Otherwise, it's just an exercise in cynicism to treat reservists as free labour.

Comment

the problem with short service commissions is that the person spends most of the time in training and generates very little time in actual service and in the case of pilots, it costs a mint for very little return.

Comment

That 2.15m is only wages though isn't it so there's still fuel, clothing, ammunition, wear & tear on weapons & vehicles, food and accommodation. So id imagine you'd need to double or treble the number for the actual cost of the reserve.
                            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

it could also be using existing resources, the Horsey School could run courses for civvy land (and soon to be former soldiers) in various relevant disciplines, they could also do the same for inner city children who are into horses.

Just playing devils advocate

Comment

Working...
                              X