The DF on Telly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    What about the bulling of boots? I thought that went out with the Stone Age? Did they only get No 2s at the end of the training? what about classroom tuition? Neither sight nor sound of any?
    commentator mention the fact that modern boots need not be bulled, but lads doing it anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by tomh903 View Post
      Was Duffy told to leave in the end or did he leave by his own accord? I think he was treated very leniently after being caught bringing a lighter load than the rest of his troop and then going AWOL to Waterford for the day.
      We didn't see the outcome of his 'interview without coffee' with the OC, so we'll never know the outcome. I got the feeling he was about to be back classed as he hadn't completed 'Scratch' and he couldn't handle that and so decided his own fate.

Have to say overall I enjoyed it, felt it could have been at least a couple of episodes longer.

As for the negative comments in the media, their perception of the DF is far removed from the realities. All you had to do was to listen to all involved from the time scratch finished to the time they passed out, the tough love had the desired effect, again had the coverage been longer maybe the public would have had a better insight to why it works.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• It was priceless when one of them said "should've went to college" or something along those lines.
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
          It was priceless when one of them said "should've went to college" or something along those lines.
          And then he says "But I did"

Comment

• Originally posted by tomh903 View Post
            Was Duffy told to leave in the end or did he leave by his own accord? I think he was treated very leniently after being caught bringing a lighter load than the rest of his troop and then going AWOL to Waterford for the day.
            Left of his own accord - which I thought was nuts, as he was within spitting distance of passing out...
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
              The Indo has run with it - the comments section has more window-lickers than usual posting in it

http://www.independent.ie/entertainm...-31493254.html
              Am making a leap here, but the Michael Moriarty referred to here could be the former Col and D Arty from about 15-20 years ago?
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                We didn't see the outcome of his 'interview without coffee' with the OC, so we'll never know the outcome. I got the feeling he was about to be back classed as he hadn't completed 'Scratch' and he couldn't handle that and so decided his own fate.

Have to say overall I enjoyed it, felt it could have been at least a couple of episodes longer.

As for the negative comments in the media, their perception of the DF is far removed from the realities. All you had to do was to listen to all involved from the time scratch finished to the time they passed out, the tough love had the desired effect, again had the coverage been longer maybe the public would have had a better insight to why it works.
                Good point actually - I did say in a post above how I could not believe how he jacked so close to passing out

As an aside, the late Lt Gen Dermot Earley (RIP) mentioned in his book (the first one) that he absconded from the Cadet School one weekend to play in a football match and was ferried there and back by a serving NCO in the Curragh

To his credit, although he was caught, he refused to dob in the NCO and risked getting the boot from the Cadet School - a mark of the man...
                Last edited by Truck Driver; 4 September 2015, 11:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                  It was priceless when one of them said "should've went to college" or something along those lines.
                  Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  And then he says "But I did"
                  ... and he ended up being Best Recruit...
                  I am reliably informed the same guy was a former Reservist, and shock horror, from the Tpt Corps...

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    ... and he ended up being Best Recruit...
                    I am reliably informed the same guy was a former Reservist, and shock horror, from the Tpt Corps...
                    In fairness he did shine . His reservist status jumped off the page when he called his own little huddle prior to scratch.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Just watched episode 2 on the RTEPlayer, thought that it was good TV, well edited, and that the DF came out of it very well. The obvious follow-up is to follow an ARW selection course, but can't see that happening any time soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                        Not to mention the pay for the duration which is nothing short of an insult.
                        Standard for any army really

Comment

• Originally posted by Tempest View Post
                          Just watched episode 2 on the RTEPlayer, thought that it was good TV, well edited, and that the DF came out of it very well. The obvious follow-up is to follow an ARW selection course, but can't see that happening any time soon!
                          There's no human interest angle. Just Blurred faces. Maybe Cadets would work. Its a much longer training period, making for a more interesting developmental story, from day 1 to the finished product 15 months later.

Comment

• Originally posted by northie View Post
                            There's no human interest angle. Just Blurred faces. Maybe Cadets would work. Its a much longer training period, making for a more interesting developmental story, from day 1 to the finished product 15 months later.
                            ... True, now you mention it... it would be like a Prime Time undercover documentary...

Comment

• A longer version, maybe one about NS recruits, should be next. It was well received by the public; the DF should quickly follow up with something else positive. Something overseas maybe? Something on the NS or AC air ambulance - anything to dispel the myths about what the DF does.
                              Last edited by FMolloy; 5 September 2015, 15:08.
                              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• Why did they get berets and not Glengarries in the Recruits thing. Do they not get the Party Hat till they've done 3* or something ?
                                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                                X