Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: How would you rate DF morale at present? 0 = non existent / 5 = very high

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • PDF 5

0 0%
  • PDF 4

1 2.63%
  • PDF 3

5 13.16%
  • PDF 2

8 21.05%
  • PDF 1

2 5.26%
  • PDF 0

1 2.63%
  • RDF 5

0 0%
  • RDF 4

2 5.26%
  • RDF 3

3 7.89%
  • RDF 2

2 5.26%
  • RDF 1

11 28.95%
  • RDF 0

3 7.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morale

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like

Morale

On a scale of 0 to 5 how would you rate morale in the Defence Forces today?

0 being fûck this for a game of soldiers.
    5 being a full bag of Haribo.

2. Likes womble, thedollar liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good scale.

4. Thanks SwiftandSure thanked for this post
    Likes thedollar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    on a scale of 0 to 5 , id give it a zero ..... degrees kelvin
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    While only anecdotal, the results are interesting so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    There used to be an old maxim that to determine a Units morale state one must look at the crimes roll.

Or the more charges in a Unit is an indicator that morale is heading towards the u bend.

I don't know if that is still prevalent in the modern Defence Forces.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

8. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've found it to be the complete opposite. Morale was sky high with us when the was a constant trickle of police officers popping in to see the hierarchy.

10. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Napp View Post
    I've found it to be the complete opposite. Morale was sky high with us when the was a constant trickle of police officers popping in to see the hierarchy.
    I can neither agree or disagree.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience in the RDF - I dont really seem to remember ANYONE ever actually being charged. Threats of it certainly, rumours that someone was being charged, but a verifiable charge followed through on, no.
    TBH. there's been a couple of occasions that I've wanted to throw the book, or at least a brick, at some people for their carry on.
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Post Thanks / Like
    I have witnessed several charging of RDF personnel, hell I even been on the receiving end of one myself. However I do admit is rare and there seems to be a reluctance on senior officers (both RDF and PDF) to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Given the likely hood of it ending up in front of a highcourt judge, the days or summary justice are marked
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

15. Likes Tango_Charlie liked this post
    Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seen once in my experience...but there was PDF input (along with a sojurn in a cell!)
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    The DF has a judge now to stop most shit and keep it un house we also hav a large empty digger

Post Thanks / Like
    I was once on a cse with the PDF back when I was a reservist. We had a PDF cpl instructing a cse for the RDF. Some RDF guy answered him back, not trying to cause offence but more along the lines of explaining himself. The instructor took offence and wanted to charge him and lock him up for insubordination.

Nothing happened because an RDF Sgt intervened and pointed out that he only had x amount of days to participate in full time training and it would be a waste to spend one of those days in a cell....
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding regular V reserve, my unit once got a new (Regular) RSM, who was determined to show us who was boss. After six weeks, attendence at drill nights was such that there were more Sgts than Pvts, with less than two dozen people turning up where two months earlier there were sixty-eighty.

The RSM was taken out for a pint by the MTO (TA) and a few home truths about the TA were explained - one of which was that we had to be led, not driven, and that a lot of us Privates in civvy street were a lot more advanced than the average 18 year-old he was used to dealing with in the rank. Treat us like 18 year-old recruits and we just wouldn't turn in - and there was nothing he could do about it if we didn't.

RSM took it on board, the beastings stopped, we started coming back, and everything went a lot better for everybody...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

20. Likes DeV, SwiftandSure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eons ago as a trooper myself and a new promoted Corporal went on the piss...and got very drunk ...eventually hauled out of the Blue Dragon in Kilworth by the PA's...thought 'this is it...I'm damned....'

Highly disappointed, never even locked me despite puking on the Orderly Officer. I should have been charged...I would have charged me, but because of the potential fallout when dealing with a unit beyond their own, they weren't arsed... as for my own unit, I got a stiff talking to and that was it.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    For me, attendance is directly related to morale, and attendance is through the floor. FTT this year should have been a Coy on the ground, we have 11 people signed up for it. Only 4 are Ptes.

The fault lies with the leadership and lack there of. Unfortunately, we're led by those who are more concerned with seeking the approval of those above them than that of those below. Which is a shame, because if those in charge achieved the latter, then approval from above would be quickly forthcoming, attendance would be up, and the unit could function.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    For me, attendance is directly related to morale, and attendance is through the floor. FTT this year should have been a Coy on the ground, we have 11 people signed up for it. Only 4 are Ptes.

The fault lies with the leadership and lack there of. Unfortunately, we're led by those who are more concerned with seeking the approval of those above them than that of those below. Which is a shame, because if those in charge achieved the latter, then approval from above would be quickly forthcoming, attendance would be up, and the unit could function.
    It does and it doesn't.

Do you have a full coy on the effective list (would probably be the only 1 in the RDF?)

The financial reality is a low may not be able to afford it.

Is there people who did courses etc?

To be honest, I would gauge morale against the unpaid training

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    DeV, I'm talking about attendance across the board, field days, training evenings, man days, experiential training etc. I used FTT as an illustrative point as it would normally be the highest attended event in the year.

We're at less than 50% strength and very top heavy.

Leadership is the problem. Fact. There is no visible chain of command. No ORBAT in effect. No visible training plan or objectives. Ask any 3* who their section commander, Platoon Sgt, or OC is and you'll get a blank face looking back at you. All that could be resolved for the sake of someone in a leadership position engaging with the troops, instituting the necessary structures and building enthusiasm to achieve collective goals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nail hit on the head - this is why I now find better things to do with my free time!

26. Thanks SwiftandSure thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I spent last week asking each of the privates in attendance to text me with their email addresses and told them that im now their section commander.
    Were in a remote location and need to travel to location B every couple of weeks to access weapons, they are somewhat unhappy with how we lately dont get much access to weapons and we decided to address this , this week...
    fast forward 7 days, weve put together a rifle instruction course tonight in our barracks with range instructor qualified RDF NCO and guess what? I texted them with timings and already 3 have pulled out. Go figure, at least they all SHOULD know who their section commander is, unlike S&S's shambolic crowd of miscreants

28. Thanks SwiftandSure thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    You see, I fully appreciate that not everyone can make every parade night, so if an NCO can account for the absence that would be a satisfactory outcome for me. But not having the first clue where your troops are or who's in charge is simply unforgivable.

30. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You also need NCOs to parade who arent tasked with "other" duties.

32. Likes SwiftandSure, DeV liked this post
    3 R
    Post Thanks / Like
    S&S you know my feeling, here we are back tonight and i can only assume it will be the standard cycle of learning. Corps ex was probably the most interesting in my career, got out with some of our permanent colleagues from all Services (the navy lads had the bants tbh).

I learned some good things and some interesting work ethic. Personally my Moral is low and interest waivering, Courses cancelled at the last minute low attendance, clusterf**k of recruitment campaigns etc.... I can gaurentee who will be on the Detachment for Support Services for Brigade Ex, Shoots and All Army. Same faces all the time.
    Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
    Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Post Thanks / Like
    DeV, I'm talking about attendance across the board, field days, training evenings, man days, experiential training etc. I used FTT as an illustrative point as it would normally be the highest attended event in the year.

We're at less than 50% strength and very top heavy.
    So not expecting a coy on the ground then

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    I spent last week asking each of the privates in attendance to text me with their email addresses and told them that im now their section commander.
    Were in a remote location and need to travel to location B every couple of weeks to access weapons, they are somewhat unhappy with how we lately dont get much access to weapons and we decided to address this , this week...
    fast forward 7 days, weve put together a rifle instruction course tonight in our barracks with range instructor qualified RDF NCO and guess what? I texted them with timings and already 3 have pulled out. Go figure, at least they all SHOULD know who their section commander is, unlike S&S's shambolic crowd of miscreants
    Late notice but you've tried

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    So not expecting a coy on the ground then
    The Coy would be drawn across the three RDF Coys in the Bn.

36. Thanks DeV thanked for this post

Thread Information