Morale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morale

On a scale of 0 to 5 how would you rate morale in the Defence Forces today?

0 being fûck this for a game of soldiers.
    5 being a full bag of Haribo.
    PDF 5
    0.00%
    PDF 4
    2.63%
    PDF 3
    13.16%
    PDF 2
    21.05%
    PDF 1
    5.26%
    PDF 0
    2.63%
    RDF 5
    0.00%
    RDF 4
    5.26%
    RDF 3
    7.89%
    RDF 2
    5.26%
    RDF 1
    28.95%
    RDF 0
    7.89%

The poll is expired.

Good scale.

Comment

on a scale of 0 to 5 , id give it a zero ..... degrees kelvin
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

While only anecdotal, the results are interesting so far.

Comment

There used to be an old maxim that to determine a Units morale state one must look at the crimes roll.

Or the more charges in a Unit is an indicator that morale is heading towards the u bend.

I don't know if that is still prevalent in the modern Defence Forces.
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I've found it to be the complete opposite. Morale was sky high with us when the was a constant trickle of police officers popping in to see the hierarchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Napp View Post
              I've found it to be the complete opposite. Morale was sky high with us when the was a constant trickle of police officers popping in to see the hierarchy.
              I can neither agree or disagree.
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

In my experience in the RDF - I dont really seem to remember ANYONE ever actually being charged. Threats of it certainly, rumours that someone was being charged, but a verifiable charge followed through on, no.
                TBH. there's been a couple of occasions that I've wanted to throw the book, or at least a brick, at some people for their carry on.
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

I have witnessed several charging of RDF personnel, hell I even been on the receiving end of one myself. However I do admit is rare and there seems to be a reluctance on senior officers (both RDF and PDF) to do it.

Comment

Given the likely hood of it ending up in front of a highcourt judge, the days or summary justice are marked
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Seen once in my experience...but there was PDF input (along with a sojurn in a cell!)
                      "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

The DF has a judge now to stop most shit and keep it un house we also hav a large empty digger

Comment

I was once on a cse with the PDF back when I was a reservist. We had a PDF cpl instructing a cse for the RDF. Some RDF guy answered him back, not trying to cause offence but more along the lines of explaining himself. The instructor took offence and wanted to charge him and lock him up for insubordination.

Nothing happened because an RDF Sgt intervened and pointed out that he only had x amount of days to participate in full time training and it would be a waste to spend one of those days in a cell....
                          To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Regarding regular V reserve, my unit once got a new (Regular) RSM, who was determined to show us who was boss. After six weeks, attendence at drill nights was such that there were more Sgts than Pvts, with less than two dozen people turning up where two months earlier there were sixty-eighty.

The RSM was taken out for a pint by the MTO (TA) and a few home truths about the TA were explained - one of which was that we had to be led, not driven, and that a lot of us Privates in civvy street were a lot more advanced than the average 18 year-old he was used to dealing with in the rank. Treat us like 18 year-old recruits and we just wouldn't turn in - and there was nothing he could do about it if we didn't.

RSM took it on board, the beastings stopped, we started coming back, and everything went a lot better for everybody...
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Eons ago as a trooper myself and a new promoted Corporal went on the piss...and got very drunk ...eventually hauled out of the Blue Dragon in Kilworth by the PA's...thought 'this is it...I'm damned....'

Highly disappointed, never even locked me despite puking on the Orderly Officer. I should have been charged...I would have charged me, but because of the potential fallout when dealing with a unit beyond their own, they weren't arsed... as for my own unit, I got a stiff talking to and that was it.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X