No announcement yet.

The Royal Australian Navy's future strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor reporting on Naval Recognition, especially as the RAN had just ordered 6 new Cape class patrol vessels!

At the moment it seems that they replace the 13 Armidale patrol boats (300t) with 12 Arafura OPVs (1640t) which is one hell of a jump up.
    What is still not clear is the Huom MCM replacement; will there still be three additional ships or will there be in the future a " deployable mine counter measure capability"?

Comment

What isn't clear to me also is, are the new Cape class for the navy, or for the border force to be operated by the RAN?
      My understanding is a single opv class will replace Huon and Armidale class, in addition to the Paluma class survey launches.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

More footage of the OPV hull pairing.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
          What isn't clear to me also is, are the new Cape class for the navy, or for the border force to be operated by the RAN?
          My understanding is a single opv class will replace Huon and Armidale class, in addition to the Paluma class survey launches.
          Good question, the first two vessels are leased and are non-commissioned vessels having the prefix Australian Defence Vessel rather than HMAS.... They also retain the paint scheme from the Australian Border Force.

It looks like the new vessels will be navy vessels, they are enhanced over the older vessels, apparently they are to fill a gap with the new OPV's, that of inshore patrol. They were worried that the draught of the new ship is too restrictive hence the order for the Cape-class. Just out of interest each Cape will be A$54m or 32mEuro.

I think the Australians will wait until they have a modular deployable MCM before they retire the Huon class, it is not as if the hulls have a short life.
          Last edited by EUFighter; 7 May 2020, 12:26.

Comment

https://defencetechnologyreview.part...0/flipbook/12/

Comment

Whats the story with the Keel on ships that have their hull sections built and joined in the above manner. My understanding is that the keel running the length of the hull gives it it's strength. Are the joins now stress raisers.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                Whats the story with the Keel on ships that have their hull sections built and joined in the above manner. My understanding is that the keel running the length of the hull gives it it's strength. Are the joins now stress raisers.
                Ships are today built in sections (modules) and joined together. Although the old building technique of first laying down the "keel" is no longer the standard for large vessels that is not to say ships do not have keel. Today depending on the ship there are a number of different type of keels, "flat plate", "bar" etc. More detail can be found in the link:
                https://www.slideshare.net/MarineStu...structure-part

As for "stress raiser", the quick answer is no. There was never on a large ship a single piece of material going from bow to stern, keels have always been made-up of smaller parts, originally riveted and today welded. The joining with welding is now a well understood and does not have any of the early issue which people bring up eg "Liberty ships". Structurally the joint is no different from any other structural joint in the ship as a whole or a module.
                Last edited by EUFighter; 8 May 2020, 14:04.

Comment

Our own more recent six OPVs were all built as superblocks, before being joined together on the floor of the Drydock.

Comment

I am not sure if this made the news in Ireland but the Australians are going on a $270 Billion shopping spree over the next 10 years.

Comment

RAN just took delivery of their newest vessel, to be named HMAS Supply.

Comment

RAN just took delivery of their newest vessel, to be named HMAS Supply.

The sister ship HMAS Stalwart is expected to enter service in late 2021. With the ice capable Aotearoa the Anzac naval forces will have three very capable AOR vessels that can operate in the Pacific, Indian and Southern Oceans.

Comment

The usefulness of the AOR as a force multiplier should not be under-estimated. Another asset we lack on these shores, unfortunately.

Comment

The usefulness of the AOR as a force multiplier should not be under-estimated. Another asset we lack on these shores, unfortunately.
                            I'd love for the MRV to have some AOR capability. That is why I like the BMT Etrida

Comment

Nice choices to be making.
                              Last edited by na grohmiti; 14 March 2021, 15:14.

Comment

So this happened.
                                The Commissioning of HMAS Supply.

Comment

Working...
                                X