1916 armoured lorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1916 armoured lorry

I did this drawing on my laptop, just for the sake of it.

1916 Guinness Daimler armoured lorry. ( the colour is just a guess ).

Almost one Hundred years since the first armoured vehicle appeared in Ireland
    Attached Files

Was that 1916? I thought it was a National army truck used during the civil war in Dublin.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I think that was 1916 according to this newspaper:

Comment

My Image is based on these Two 1916 photos
        Attached Files

Comment

Spot on Vintary. Nice drawing of the 1916 truck!

Comment

"They were Col portals idea.
            first he secured 2 big iron boilers from Guinness's brewery and the inchicore railway works.
            he asked the railway men to mount these on 2 motor lorries and in the sides had holes and slits bored through which troops could fire.
            dummy holes were painted beside the real ones to confuse the rebels. each boiler accommodated 18 soldiers in some discomfort, but certainly offered comparative safety.

Sweeny watched the first of these iron clad nightmares lumber down Sackville st until it got as far as the Gresham hotel. were it halted momentarily. sweeny's weapon was a modern lee enfield and he was a good shot; taking careful aim he fired at the narrow slit in the front hoping to hit the driver. his first 3 or 4 shots bounced off the armour but one of his shots must have got home because, after a jerky attempt to restart, the iron-clad stopped dead.
            for the remainder of the afternoon it lay immobilized, a stuffed prehistoric monster which belonged in a museum."

Taken from the book, The Easter Rebellion by Max Caulfield.
            Well worth a read.
            hedons have more fun.

Comment

But was Caulfield right? Were boilers used or railway locomotive smoke stacks used?
              I am inclined to believe the latter.

Comment

Working...
              X