No announcement yet.

River class OPVs, NS, RN, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=na grohmiti;468593]A very nice analysis (with loads of photos) of the newest River Class, HMS Medway.

Nice outline of the new River Class, somewhat narrower in beam than the p60's. The crewing arrangements are interesting an require flexibility ashore to manage Crew cycles. The proposal is to have a three watch crew structure to maintain two watches on board and one watch in training, leave etc. but more interesting is a crew cycle of 8 weeks on board and 4 weeks ashore in proximity to families. The arrangement would need study to see how singletons and command are handled in the proposed system. Proportionately they seem to carry a lot of Av. fuel and make a lot of FW to small tanks. I wonder how the grey water storage is to be managed?

Comment

• [QUOTE=ancientmariner;468614]
      Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      A very nice analysis (with loads of photos) of the newest River Class, HMS Medway.

Nice outline of the new River Class, somewhat narrower in beam than the p60's. The crewing arrangements are interesting an require flexibility ashore to manage Crew cycles. The proposal is to have a three watch crew structure to maintain two watches on board and one watch in training, leave etc. but more interesting is a crew cycle of 8 weeks on board and 4 weeks ashore in proximity to families. The arrangement would need study to see how singletons and command are handled in the proposed system. Proportionately they seem to carry a lot of Av. fuel and make a lot of FW to small tanks. I wonder how the grey water storage is to be managed?
      I believe the same system has been in place with the B1's...and some elements of the Mine Hunting Force.

The XO takes command when the CO is on leave.

It seems to work and ensures a decent work / life balance.
      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Comment

• Lovely , plastic cutlery and paper plates for the troops , better hope Greta doesn't see this .
          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Is it just me, or does it look like PLCE is still being used by at least one of the lads in the pics?
            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
              Is it just me, or does it look like PLCE is still being used by at least one of the lads in the pics?
              Looks like it though he's not wearing a Guards TRF. May he an attached arm / Reservist.
              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Most of the webbing looks like sets of "airborne webbing" that is sold on lots of the kit / surplus sites. Pouches permanently attached to hip belt with permanent cushioned pad also. Tweeks like velcro close pouches, rigger belt buckle, etc. Perhaps private purchase????
                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• It could be a case that those deployed are acting as enemy on an ex and decided to bring all their own off the shelf kit. I see a few chest rings in the mix also, which is so noughties.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Comment

• A paper well worth study. In our case we have a single class/type ship which is to be deployable as required to pop-up roles that may include aggressors with fire and forget, or even guided weapons. I concur with the hot proposal to equip ships with an ops package to handle main armament plus two controlled 30mm guns and a suitable armed drone. I note that the TEU on board the RN OPV is a hangar for the on board drone. We should also consider portable AAM launchers, at least two for each deployed ship on task.

Comment

• Is it true that the air search radar on P31 was capable of being used with deployed manpads such as the RBS 70?
                        It is a relatively low cost way to beef up a ships self defence profile, though a layered system of ECM, chaff and CIWS is still preferable.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                          Is it true that the air search radar on P31 was capable of being used with deployed manpads such as the RBS 70?
                          It is a relatively low cost way to beef up a ships self defence profile, though a layered system of ECM, chaff and CIWS is still preferable.
                          There would be no automatic interface between ships tracking and portable launchers unless designed so wirelessly. The RBS70 probably comes with it's own High Speed radar and interface. I agree a layered and multi system is needed to cover ranges 10k-3k and 3k-0k.

Comment

• Normally the RBS70 operates with Giraffe radar which is similar in profile to the Signaal DAO5.
                            I just wondered if the ability to hook in was there.
                            Last edited by na grohmiti; 6 February 2020, 11:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                              Normally the RBS70 operates with Giraffe radar which is similar in profile to the Signaal DAO5.
                              I just wondered if the ability to hook in was there.
                              DAO5 interfaced with IFF was an ATC radar slow rotation with big antenna. Range raw 75nm ,Range secondary , on transponders 200nm+. The Giraffe radar has higher rotation speed, up to 60 rpm, for lock on to fast targets to give maximum engagement time for weapons. In the modern environment systems must be fast, able to track and engage a multiplicity of targets. It is not unusual to have a tracking ability for up to 40 targets and engage those in sequence that are threatening own ship. In close in action ship is in danger from continuing target debris.

Comment

• River Batch 1’s will serve for a total of at least 23 years

The UK Royal Navy (RN) plans to maintain its Batch 1 River-class offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) in service for another six-and-a-half years, official documents have...

Comment

Working...
                                X