New Non-Peacekeeping Overseas Service Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Non-Peacekeeping Overseas Service Medal

A question in the Dail has revealed that a new medal for non-Peacekeeping overseas missions is planned. No other info about what the eligibility criteria will be. No doubt this is aimed at the Ebola and Mediterranean missions but possibly some other past non-Peacekeeping overseas missions could be eligible.
    The Peacekeeping Medal is the only medal the DF award for overseas missions with a minimum of 90 days continuous overseas service.

Originally posted by Kieran Marum
    DAIL ANSWERS 13th January 2016

Defence Forces Personnel

434. Deputy Pádraig Mac Lochlainn asked the Minister for Defence if he will proceed with the Defence Forces operational service medal to be awarded for service on missions not governed by the United Nations, the European Union or similar mandates; and when the sailors on Operation Pontus and the members of the Defence Forces on the ebola medical mission in Sierra Leone will be paraded to receive the medal. [46649/15]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Simon Coveney): I am advised that a service medal that could be awarded for humanitarian service overseas, where no other United Nations, NATO or European Union Force medal is relevant, is currently at the planning and development stage within the Department. Once this process has been completed, I would envisage that arrangements for the awarding of such medals could commence soon afterwards.
    A few other question on medals.

Easter Rising Commemorations

436. Deputy Pádraig Mac Lochlainn asked the Minister for Defence if he will issue a 1916 centenary medal to all serving members of Óglaigh na hÉireann who participate in the commemoration in 2016 and who have a minimum of three years of service.' [46651/15]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Simon Coveney): The State is undertaking a comprehensive programme of commemorations during 2016 which commenced on New Year’s Day in Dublin Castle. Further details of the commemorations being held this year are available at www.ireland.ie. I am currently considering any further initiatives that may be introduced in this context.

Defence Forces

437. Deputy Pádraig Mac Lochlainn asked the Minister for Defence if he will convene a medal and awards review board comprising of a wide cross-section of the Defence Forces to examine the reinstatement of the Good Conduct Medal under new conditions and criteria; and if all officers and enlisted personnel with ten years exemplary service as recorded on the electronic personal management system will be awarded this medal. [46652/15]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Simon Coveney): Currently, the Defence Forces Service Medal is awarded to personnel who meet the qualifying service for its award. Moreover, it recognises the service of not only NCOs and Privates but all members of the Defence Forces. It is considered that the current range of medals awardable to the Defence Forces is appropriate and adequate, and accordingly, I have no plans for the re-instatement of the Good Conduct Medal.

Naval Service

438. Deputy Pádraig Mac Lochlainn asked the Minister for Defence if he will direct a review board to consider a maritime deployment medal in recognition of the deployment of sailors on board Irish Naval vessels who complete a two-year rotation at sea. [46653/15]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Simon Coveney): I have no plans for the awarding of a medal to Naval Service personnel deployed on board a naval vessel completing a two-year rotation at sea.

An Bonn Seirbhíse (The Service Medal) is awarded to Officers, non-commissioned officer or Private of the Defence Forces or a member of the Army Nursing or Chaplaincy Service who possess the qualifying service for the award. I do not consider the awarding of a further medal to Naval Service personnel necessary as such service is already covered by the Service medal.

About time the service of personnel on non UN/NATO missions was recognised
    The involvement of the NS in the Mediterranean humanitarian mission was done under the EU umbrella, wasn't it?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

What is the obsession with medals.

Why are there questions in the dail, about a good conduct medal.
      Why should you get a medal, for just being in the DF, in 1916.

I just don't understand it.

Comment

Because you got one for being in the DF in 1966.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by jack08 View Post

Cause all the veterans organisation bore****s are trying to improve their 'athentic medal':'medal we came up with' ratio

Comment

Originally posted by jack08 View Post

Because someone asked them to ask

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
            Because you got one for being in the DF in 1966.
            ???

Comment

Originally posted by Napp View Post
              Cause all the veterans organisation bore****s are trying to improve their 'athentic medal':'medal we came up with' ratio
              rememberance day parades have got more interesting of late - the old blokes, the beret and blazer brigade, who did 2 years painting rocks at Pirbright in the 60's have either stopped turning up because the young lads have got more medals than them, or they've gone full on for all the commemerative shite they can lay their hands on. some of them look like North Korean generals they are so covered in bling...

theres something a bit pathetic about it all, its a bit distasteful...

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                About time the service of personnel on non UN/NATO missions was recognised
                The involvement of the NS in the Mediterranean humanitarian mission was done under the EU umbrella, wasn't it?

No, it was a bilateral agreement with the Italian government.

Essentially the NS were working under an Italian Task Group headed by an Rear Admiral. (COMGRUPNAV 3) Operation Mare Sicuro

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                  No, it was a bilateral agreement with the Italian government.

Essentially the NS were working under an Italian Task Group headed by an Rear Admiral. (COMGRUPNAV 3) Operation Mare Sicuro
                  Ah right, cheers for the clarification
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The 'striking' your own medal crowd are funny.. I just think it's strange. Civilians don't know what the medals mean, don't care, it's only us that know, and we see them and think .. What an idiot...
                    The point I was trying to make was, why would you want to wear these medals , why would you go to a SF TD (who don't recognize the DF as the real army) and get them to push for these medals.
                    Last edited by jack08; 17 January 2016, 01:20.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      Because someone asked them to ask

???
                      http://www.military.ie/fileadmin/use...edals_2010.pdf

It was a joke dev.....jeebus.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                        It was a joke dev.....jeebus.
                        AFAIK their was one but it was private purchases

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                          theres something a bit pathetic about it all, its a bit distasteful...
                          Which is a massive pity, because we end up lumping all of the older service veterans in the category. I want to encourage the national service veterans to continue turning up, because as you've said, a lot of the more reserved types are not turning up as a visible presence. This is a great loss to the days' celebrations. These guys do remember their time in the services fondly, and their generation think nothing of providing a few years service for little or no benefit - which is the essence of duty and service. They have families, who no doubt have been regaled over their lifetime of stories about their dads time in the services, or their mothers time as a WAAF. It is these families who keep the services held in high esteem despite squaddies best efforts otherwise. When we eventually lose this element of society, we will lose this self-propagating good will generator that puts servicemen and women up there on societies highest pedestal.

Comment

Many of the exers associations do more harm than good to the image of the Defence Forces. Many are blinded by nostalgia coupled with a sense of entitlement. Some believe their voices should be heard before all others on military matters in the public domain because of their own military experience, even if their own personal experience amounted to 21 years as a private with one cushy overseas trip.
                            The recent white paper on defence revealed much of this mentality when the submissions of the exers organisations were reviewed. Very little of the content was about future force projections with instead the majority relating to converting retired ships to museums, and issuing more medals for VVIP visits, being on duty in certain counties etc. This is why for the most part the exers organisations are not frequented by officers. Too many privates who wanted to be generals, getting themselves elected as presidents, and insisting all kowtow before them in an organisation that is supposed to be rankles.
                            rant over.

Comment

This is why for the most part the exers organisations are not frequented by officers. Too many privates who wanted to be generals, getting themselves elected as presidents, and insisting all kowtow before them in an organisation that is supposed to be rankles.
                              ****ing priceless commentary, and so true. Reminds me of my grandads old union retirement pitch and putt club.

Comment

Working...
                              X