2016 Commemorative Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by apod View Post
    Bollox. You have made yourself crystal clear and are now trying to back track.You have some kind of chip on your shoulder RE the PDF.Tough.My reaction is down to the constant negativity and constant lets blame the PDF for everything attitude that yourself and some other here constantly espouse.Lately I read more than I post as it is getting increasingly frustrating to debate the same old BS coming from some posters here.Complaining about something before it has even happened and pointing the finger is whinging at best and childish at worst.Cop on.

Nobody uses the word bagger as a term of endearment.It is a derogatory term used to disparage a fine group of people who do the best they can with the training and equipment they have.If you were black would you describe yourself as a n****r? I think not.
    Instead of being a child and knocking what should be something good how about dropping the cynicism and "windups" and get behind this.You might surprise yourself.
    Get over yourself. What ever happened to 'leave your sensitivities at the gate'.

Back track on exactly what? Crystal clear: I said I couldn't be arsed wearing a medal that the DF couldn't be arsed issuing in the spirit it was intended. I haven't backed tracked on that. The rest was all slagging about the flash, more medals, etc. Normal slagging that's gone on for years.

Can you actually quote where I blamed the PDF for anything? Or will it just be another rant and name calling.

As regards the N word, So your saying that some black people don't use the N word to describe themselves, try listening to rap music. Like some Irish people don't use the word Paddies?

Cynicism and windups are part of life and I would argue even more so in the military sphere.

I'm coming up on 39 years so I'd say I've got behind this.
    I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
    Who is number 1?

Comment

• With 39 years service I would have reckoned you were beyond rap music.

Always referred to myself as a bagger and indeed it was an acceptable point of slagging in certain company no more than being sagged for being a fished a gravel agitators or drop short.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• [QUOTE=hptmurphy;443445]With 39 years service I would have reckoned you were beyond rap music.
        QUOTE]

I still have my own hair and teeth.

Teenagers Murph, teenagers.
        I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
        Who is number 1?

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          With 39 years service I would have reckoned you were beyond rap music.

Always referred to myself as a bagger and indeed it was an acceptable point of slagging in certain company no more than being sagged for being a fished a gravel agitators or drop short.
          [QUOTE=The Prisoner;443446]
          Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          With 39 years service I would have reckoned you were beyond rap music.
          QUOTE]

I still have my own hair and teeth.

Teenagers Murph, teenagers.
          LMFAO at both....
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Could never tolerate the situation were the Reserve had a 100% increase in the number of medals they have. You really couldn't have that. Down with that type of thing I say.I don't even wear the one I have. I joined in 1978 and got my service (7,12,21) medal in 2011
            Who exactly can't tolerate it???And why do you think you are above the DCOS by chining off his instruction?

So if the DF can't be arsed to issue the medal in the spirit it was intended, then I can't be arsed in wearing it. They clearly place no value on it, so why should I?
            How do you know what the DF intend.You are basing your opinion on a rumour on a chat room and getting all uppity about something that may not happen(if it does I will agree with you.That would be a crock of s**t.The difference is though I am waiting to see what happens before passing judgement.
            You are not)
            Ah Jayus Murph, go easy. What, another medal for the baggers? Three medals? The pram, the playpen, not to mention the toys.
            Who is saying this??Nobody I know.In fact quite the opposite??

It's an insecurity patch for the PDF, bit like a comfort blanket.
            Heinz or chef??

Get over yourself. What ever happened to 'leave your sensitivities at the gate'.
            Back at you.

Can you actually quote where I blamed the PDF for anything?
            See above.

As regards the N word, So your saying that some black people don't use the N word to describe themselves, try listening to rap music. Like some Irish people don't use the word Paddies?
            And that makes it right??My grandmother would tear us a new one if she heard us say Paddies day as opposed to St Patricks day.She lived through the tans and their use of that word!!
            Cynicism and windups are part of life and I would argue even more so in the military sphere.
            No.People are responsible for their own attitudes.if you are bitter and cynical that your own look out.Don't blame the military.
            I'm coming up on 39 years so I'd say I've got behind this.
            LOL.At 14 days FTT at best per year(not including field days) that's close to one and half years of actual service.Congrats I'll get my coat.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I was a bagger, and proud to serve in the only way I was accepted for.
              I know -in real terms- that the skills I was trained in are sufficient to save my life in a firefight.
              But I also know that I wasn't ready to be slotted into a platoon in the Leb at a months notice. There is a difference between personal skills, minimal unit cohesiveness and an integrated part of a fireteam. I wasn't useless, but I could have been a lot better trained and I only have to look at a PDF unit to know that.
              And I'm still proud to have served as I was asked and allowed to.
              If I've seen soldiers heading to war zones who are no more prepared than I was, that's a testament to the defence forces, both PDF and RDF.

I'm not eligible for any medal but I don't begrudge those who are - by virtue of service to the state- whatever flash is or isn't on their uniform.

Comment

• There's a lot of our comrades who put in a hell of amount of hard work in commemorating the 1916 rising,

these are the lads who did the flags at schools, marched in parades, did the open days etc.

They brought a lot of credit to the Defence Forces and they helped us reclaim Óglaigh na hÉireann from the drug dealing paedophiles.

I think every single one of our comrades needs a massive thanks and an even bigger well done lads, as legitimate Military we do this by pinning a medal on their chest so in years to come

they can polish it and grin and say I was there- I did that.

I sincerely hope a massive medal is given to all our comrades with zero fkucs given as to whether they are reserve or full time.

Well done one and all.
                Last edited by hedgehog; 5 August 2016, 10:04.
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Hear Hear.F**K the begrudgers. Well said Hedgie.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Oh, for God's sake give them a medal.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                      There's a lot of our comrades who put in a hell of amount of hard work in commemorating the 1916 rising,

these are the lads who did the flags at schools, marched in parades, did the open days etc.

They brought a lot of credit to the Defence Forces and they helped us reclaim Óglaigh na hÉireann from the drug dealing paedophiles.

I think every single one of our comrades needs a massive thanks and an even bigger well done lads, as legitimate Military we do this by pinning a medal on their chest so in years to come

they can polish it and grin and say I was there- I did that.

I sincerely hope a massive medal is given to all our comrades with zero fkucs given as to whether they are reserve or full time.

Well done one and all.
                      Well I can't argue with that. Certainly changed my opinion on it now.
                      To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• This will be the very 1st Medal in the History of Óglaigh na hÉireann that will be issued to both PDF & RDF and I say its about time we have been all treated the same. Also this has maintained the Precedence of 1966 & 1971.

Comment

• Originally posted by goc132 View Post
                          This will be the very 1st Medal in the History of Óglaigh na hÉireann that will be issued to both PDF & RDF and I say its about time we have been all treated the same. Also this has maintained the Precedence of 1966 & 1971.
                          To be fair on that, the reason PDF and RDF don't receive the same medals is because our service as reserves is not the same in general.

To my knowledge (I'm open to correction) no reserve has ever met the overseas requirements to qualify for DF or UN overseas service medals, therefore non-issue of the medal to RDF is not by design.
                          If I'm wrong on that front, then I apologise and retract my last.
                          As for DSM etc, same principal.

Service Medals are different because they signify different things.
                          Reserve Service is not the same as Permanent Service (I don't mean better or worse, just fundamentally different),
                          and this is signified by specific long service medals.

Without getting into the merits and demerits of issuing a 2016 medal, if RDF meet the criteria (whatever they may be) then issue away, and if not, then don't issue.
                          I don't really have an opinion on how or who, as long is it doesn't pull focus from the really practical issues facing the reserve at the moment. (there are many)
                          Scheduled fun will commence at 1900Hrs.
                          Punishment beatings will continue until moral improves.

Comment

• I only stated that this will be the first medal in the history of the DF for both PDF & RDF.
                            I don't expect anything else its the history I was making the point over.

Comment

• Anyone know if there's updates on this? Asking more out of curiousity than anything else.
                              If at first you don't succeed, then call in an airstrike.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X