No announcement yet.

2016 Commemorative Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because all the officers and senior NCOs wouldn't get any then of course?

The only way to get a medal through is to be all inclusive, there has been movement on this and the line PDF has been clarified to include RDF.

The whole medals thing has gone nuclear in the past 5 months it is possible that this will get across the line.

on IKON 90% of the DF have voiced in favour but the ranks don't make the rules.

Comment

This could be another Cultaca flash like issue. Why don't they give RDF will get the medal, but with a slightly different colour ribbon, and a Cultaca Bar, just so it's not confused with a medal issued to a PDF man!!!
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

My money is on no medal being issued.

Comment

What on earth does this medal commemorate . A grat for a grand to go out and get wasted in remembrance ... surely a better way of remembering
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Personal opinion, a medal issued to the DF to commemorate the 1916 Rising would be a nice gesture, and would help to closer relate the DF of today to the 1916 volunteers. Is it a necessary gesture, no.

Comment

My own opinion is that a soldier should wear medals that reflect personal service, not the service of others.

Speaking of which, never got either a 7 or 12 year service medal... But thems the breaks.
              Last edited by expat01; 24 February 2016, 10:01.

Comment

Put it to you in this way, the British Forces are awarded medals to commemorate being in service during a monarchs Jubilee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_..._Jubilee_Medal). This is a pretty important year in Ireland, and an honor to be wearing the uniform at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                  Put it to you in this way, the British Forces are awarded medals to commemorate being in service during a monarchs Jubilee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_..._Jubilee_Medal). This is a pretty important year in Ireland, and an honor to be wearing the uniform at the time.
                  True but that isn't right either

Although a medal for having to take was it up to 6 full days off work for rehearsals?

Comment

On a complete tangent, I spotted on DF flicker a PDF Lt Col with only a service medal, that must be a rare thing.

Comment

I'm assuming that if this does come to fruition there will be have to be some kind of service limitations similar to how the Jubilee medals were awarded in the British military. I'd assume that one to two years would be required to qualify or you'd have new joiners both PDF and RDF becoming eligible with little or no service.

Then again, it might never come to pass. Don't think it's a bad idea to recognise the importance of the year to the state and the Defence Forces with an issue but that's just me. I do think that linking any medal with having to take a number of days off work to serve in a ceremonial role wouldbe ridiculous however.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                        On a complete tangent, I spotted on DF flicker a PDF Lt Col with only a service medal, that must be a rare thing.
                        This one?

Equitation School

Comment

Glad to see the reserve element isnt going to be forgotten.

Thing about 1916 to keep in mind is that 100 years ago a volunteer reserve force took on a professional army. Important i think that todays volunteer reserve force is equally included in the comemoration.
                          Scheduled fun will commence at 1900Hrs.
                          Punishment beatings will continue until moral improves.

Comment

I was at a rehearsal in the DFTC recently for the easter parade and I was kind of earwigging on a conersation between 3 young reserve corporals. Two of them were cribbing about not getting issued a medal for the 1916 centenary. The third lad to his credit said ''Medal for 1916 is silly, if anything we should be getting a medal in 2022''. Cue blank expressions all round. ''You know, to commemorate the formation of the state'' he elaborated.

The other two didn't have a clue what he was on about and were just looking at him like he had three heads.

Joking and slagging aside he had a point and one that I myself have put forward whenever Ive been involved in discussions on 1916 centenary medals. The rising is not by any means on a par with, or even comparable to, as an occasion to be commemorated (particularly by a medal) as the formation of the state.

Comment

After reading some of the posts in this thread.I feel something need to be clarified.The 1916 medal has been proposed by a number of SNCO's at DFHQ level and the CoS and the minister have been written to with the proposal.The idea of issuing such a medal has included ALL serving members of the DF including recruits in training and RDF since the start.No mention of excluding the RDF was EVER raised.
                              The topic is the most commented on in the IKON discussion forum with 156 posts as of yesterday and an online poll with over 90% of respondents in favour of such a medal.

So.Where is it now?In the hands of the gods who as yet have not said yay or nay.That is all.Everything else in conjecture and barracks rumour.
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                                The idea of issuing such a medal has included ALL serving members of the DF including recruits in training and RDF since the start.No mention of excluding the RDF was EVER raised.
                                There'll be some serious god-tier cribbing from some of the exers.

Comment

Working...
                                X