X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PfP SOFA

If I'm reading it right it basically says look at the NATO SOFA

Comment

I think the Germans have very little time for our political sensitivities on military matters. Seem to recall they've historically been dumbfounded by our non membership of NATO and pressed Garret Fitzgerald etc. over it.

If we can't enact baseline stuff like SOFA now, how can other EU nations reasonably expect that the DF will be allowed to fulfill an EU BG role they equip and train for, if the balloon goes up?

They're basically after calling that bluff.

Maybe organise an ex with them across the water instead, they seem to understand the political morass the DF tries to survive in.

Comment

The Servile Savants strike again
        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
          http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...ce-390057.html

WTF? Seriously? Everytime I think the DOD can't be any more incompetent they go to great lengths to surprise me.
          FML, that's bad, and a missed great opportunity for the men and women who worked hard to be ready for this.
          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

I wonder is there a link to the fact that there was no central ex for the German-led EUBG in 2012?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              I wonder is there a link to the fact that there was no central ex for the German-led EUBG in 2012?
              I was thinking the same thing. Having read the Kildare Street extract you provided it may not be just DOD intransigence. How did we take part in the exercises in Sweden? I am sure they asked for similar assurances, if they were happy with those assurances why aren't the Germans? Are they being unreasonable? Maybe we should just conclude that we cannot work with the Germans stop trying to join German led EU Battlegroups.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                I was thinking the same thing. Having read the Kildare Street extract you provided it may not be just DOD intransigence. How did we take part in the exercises in Sweden? I am sure they asked for similar assurances, if they were happy with those assurances why aren't the Germans? Are they being unreasonable? Maybe we should just conclude that we cannot work with the Germans stop trying to join German led EU Battlegroups.

Comment

Let me get this straight - in 2007 WO'D had to bring the MOU for participation in the Swedish Battlegroup to the Dail for a vote. Why did this need a vote in the Oireachtas ? We weren't committing troops to "action" so the Triple Lock should not have applied. In any event the MOU incorporated the PfP NATO SOFA Ts&Cs so no problem.

In Sept 2015 Simon C brings MOU to the Justice, Defence and Equality committee but it never seems to have made it to a vote in the Oireachtas. Why ? Was a vote deemed unnecessary, did the election intervene, or did the DOD drop the ball ?

Let's face it - the only people worried about this are the Defence Forces and the folks on this forum. I nearly threw my radio out the window yesterday morning listening to some dickhead on Newstalk talking about how this would mean that "soldiers wouldn't be able to go out to play with their friends in Germany" !

The 1916 Parade is over and normal service is resumed !!!!!!
                  “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
                  ― Thucydides

Comment

Anybody have a photo of the Department Secretary to stick up here. love to know what the head of the clown collage looks like
                    Last edited by sofa; 31 March 2016, 18:50.

Comment

Strategic direction and clear policy is essential for any organisation so it can plan and maximise its resources and energies on the roles and responsibilities it was created for. This is particularly true where resources are limited and where there are competing demands. In publically funded servic

Comment

Strategic direction and clear policy is essential for any organisation so it can plan and maximise its resources and energies on the roles and responsibilities it was created for. This is particularly true where resources are limited and where there are competing demands. In publically funded servic

Comment

Great photos

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                            Great photos
                            Is that cause you can see s certain IMOer hob nobbing with the good and great.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaqra View Post

Let's face it - the only people worried about this are the Defence Forces and the folks on this forum. I nearly threw my radio out the window yesterday morning listening to some dickhead on Newstalk talking about how this would mean that "soldiers wouldn't be able to go out to play with their friends in Germany" !

The 1916 Parade is over and normal service is resumed !!!!!!
                              Actually i think that the parade was more reflective of public attitude to the defence forces then a tiny minority that dominate the airwaves with an agenda usually related to radical republicanism and a view of europe that is dated and out of touch with reality.

Nor is the support for neutrality very stong, the poll that Wallace and Daly commissioned showed that support for it was far from overwhelming.

I actually think we need politicans with courage to challenge the status quo on the topic.
                              Last edited by paul g; 1 April 2016, 13:27.

Comment

Oops! Small screen and stubby fingers strike again! I meant to give you a Like there Paul!
                                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                                X