Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter commerations

All,

Managed to make it home for the commerations, bloody brilliant. Wife & I had ringside seats for the Dublin parade and it was marvelous. Well done to all concerned. I was never so proud to be Irish and the forces did the nation proud. The drill ws impeccable, and the kit well sorted. Even at the Parnell monument, after a couple of miles of marching, the formations were still in step. I can only imagine the hours of practice that went into it. Hearing the Proclomation brought a tear to my cynical eye, that young officer nailed it. No matter what else he does in his career/life, he always did that!!!! I also noticed many of the formations were mixed RDF/PDF (the culthacta insignia), but couldn't tell the difference. Well done. I have pictures, but can't do justice compared to the commercial ones. The flyover was awesome too, brilliantly executed and the crowd cheered with the green, white & orange smoke.

The events were a decent blend of being respectful without being in your face and didn't turn into a party like Paddy's Day. It was a great day for Ireland and the forces. If any of the IMO community were involved, well done and a huge debt of gratitude to you for your service to the nation.

RLTW!!

A

Thanks for the compliments and kind words.It means a lot.I have never in all my years in uniform felt more Irish than I did that day.The vibe from the crowd was amazing.It kills me though that after all the love we got that day it was back to slate the army as usual a few weeks later on the Niall "the wanker" boylans " talk show.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

In fairness to the organisers, the one thing they have ensured is that the Shinners wern't able to occupy the 1916 commemorative space.
      Their little forays with the Cabra re-enacters, and that joke of an exhibition in the Ambassador have been sidelined, and Gerry hightailed it to Belfast in a fit of pique on Easter Sunday.
      Which is only fitting, seeing as their party was only founded in 1986.

Well done DF, Well done Organising Committee!!

Comment

Originally posted by Herald View Post
        In fairness to the organisers, the one thing they have ensured is that the Shinners wern't able to occupy the 1916 commemorative space.
        Their little forays with the Cabra re-enacters, and that joke of an exhibition in the Ambassador have been sidelined, and Gerry hightailed it to Belfast in a fit of pique on Easter Sunday.
        Which is only fitting, seeing as their party was only founded in 1986.

Well done DF, Well done Organising Committee!!
        I made my first visit to the Garden of Remberamce on Easter Monday, the Rotunda, the wreath laying at the College of Surgeons (good job 2 Fd CIS (RDF)) and then a visit aboard LE Ciara and LE Samuel Beckett.

Don't think I've ever seen so many people in Dublin. It was an amazing atmosphere.

There was a "reenactors" group that arrived at the Garden of Remberence. shortly after I arrived, after they paid a visit to the GPO to lay a wreath. The white crosses for the hungry strikers, the large Garda presence (including overtly armed SDU) and GASU helo in the area gave away who they really were.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          I made my first visit to the Garden of Remberamce on Easter Monday, the Rotunda, the wreath laying at the College of Surgeons (good job 2 Fd CIS (RDF)) and then a visit aboard LE Ciara and LE Samuel Beckett.

Don't think I've ever seen so many people in Dublin. It was an amazing atmosphere.

There was a "reenactors" group that arrived at the Garden of Remberence. shortly after I arrived, after they paid a visit to the GPO to lay a wreath. The white crosses for the hungry strikers, the large Garda presence (including overtly armed SDU) and GASU helo in the area gave away who they really were.
          I saw those around on Easter Monday, I've a mate who is stationed in Store St, according to him, they were one of the dissident political wings, Republican Sinn Fein (Ruairi O'Braidighs mob) From whom the Gerry/Mary Loo shinners split in 1986, or the 32 county sovereignty crowd, associated with Missus Sands McKevitt, who tailed off from the Gerry/Mary Loo faction after the Good Friday Accord.

Apparently, all the attention they got from the "Branchmen", as they call them, coupled with the the heightened crowds, made their day, bless their little cotton socks.
          Either way, a shower of even scummier looking Scuzz buckets than even the common or garden shinners who take up space in the Dail.

Comment

The shinners...Ireland's own version of the aryan brotherhood.

Comment

When all was said and done the Dublin 1916 campaign/operation was one of very few British victories in the 1914-18 era.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                When all was said and done the Dublin 1916 campaign/operation was one of very few British victories in the 1914-18 era.
                Was it though? If handled correctly it could've been. However the executions that followed which was a military decision (military courts/martial law) led to a rebellion in the whole country.
                To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

?

British Victories in 1914-1916:
                  Marne 1914
                  Neuve Chapelle 1915
                  Hulluch 1916
                  Somme 1916
                  Pozieres 1916
                  Ginchy 1916
                  Arras 1917
                  Vimy Ridge 1917
                  Messines 1917
                  Lys 1918
                  2nd Marne 1918
                  Amiens 1918
                  3rd Somme 1918
                  Epehy 1918
                  Cambrai 1918
                  Sambre 1918.

And that's not even leaving the European theatre. Very few indeed.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Churchill warned, If we lose Ireland we will lose the empire. He was right.

Comment

Should have got a round of applause from the gathered body
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

And of course, diplomatic immunity applies when the tosser tries to sue for the "assault" and "emotional trauma" of having his arrse kicked!

Well done the Canadians!
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          Should have got a round of applause from the gathered body

Does it not say he got a standing ovation ?

Comment

Is it just me but can someone explain why we are holding a ceremony for the dead, I don't see the yanks having one for the red coats in July

Comment

Working...
                            X