British Riflemen in the Irish Sea...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Riflemen in the Irish Sea...

Soldiers from 2 RIFLES, based in Northern Ireland, have been given a unique training opportunity with the Royal Marines, as HMS Bulwark dropped anchor in the Irish Sea.

HMS Bulwark is an Albion-class assault ship designed to put large numbers of troops and vehicles ashore as quickly as possible.

Many of the soldiers involved in this exercise have just joined 2 RIFLES from basic training.

watch the video here:

variety is the spice of life...
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Nice one.

With Tern Hill closing it'll be interesting to see if 1 R Irish end up moving to Ballykinlar.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
      Nice one.

With Tern Hill closing it'll be interesting to see if 1 R Irish end up moving to Ballykinlar.
      it is one of the rumours, although 2RIFLES are keen to leave the Province and return to the Mainland aswell.

Ballykinlar is vacant, and there may be room for another Infantry battalion in Lisburn if 2RIFLES come back to Blighty.
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

According to ABP:
        2 Rifles - Lisburn

???

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          According to ABP:
          2 Rifles - Lisburn

???
          2 Rifles moved from Abercorn Barracks, Ballykinlar into the accommodation in Theipval Barracks vacated when 40 Regt RA were disbanded.

The training centre and range complex at Ballykinlar remains open and in constant use, very diverse facility as evidenced in RGJs post.

Clive Barracks, Tern Hill, Shropshire, home of 1 R Irish is due to close.

I was wondering might they move into Abercorn Barracks, it's been pretty much completely rebuilt and has the training facility within walking distance.

RGJ is wondering if 2 Rifles might return to a base across the water, and 1 R Irish then move into Theipval Barracks, Lisburn.

Either is possible...thought the R Irish will no doubt end up somewhere like Tidworth or Catterick...

Comment

2RIFLES (formerly 1RGJ) have spent almost 15 years out of the past 20 years based in Northern Ireland.

most in 2RIFLES want to come back to the Mainland now, the rest have already transferred to other Rifle battalions in England (4RIFLES, 5RIFLES), Scotland (3RIFLES) and Wales (1RIFLES).
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

So what is the point of ABP then?

Comment

I'm no expert on the Army Basing Plan Dev...but I believe its intended to be a plan for where the British Army will be based by 2020.

The Army Basing Plan is exactly that...a plan...it isn't set in stone...the MOD are looking at all their estate and making efficiency savings.

That is an ongoing process.

I imagine that there will be changes to the ABP as a result of that.

In addition many of the move dates for units from Germany have slipped already.

Tern Hill is a dump...I've only been there once but it seemed to me that compared to most other barracks the R Irish are getting a raw deal.

So it is going to be bulldozed...either to build houses on...or I've also heard the rumour to build new accommodation and re-locate an RLC Regiment from Germany.

They like airfields and big hangars for their trucks and stores...Tern Hill has both being originally an RAF base.

Comment

Neither am I but the vast majority of non-German moves were completely last year. The whole point is that (a) you would increase the units available at any 1 time (b) the soldiers can put down routes in the.

Comment

So whats your point Dev?

Comment

My point is that ABP was supposed to mean that soldiers (and they families) could more or less settle in 1 location unless they changed unit. Which would add recruiting and retention.

It also meant an end (finally) to arms plotting. And would mean something like 6 more deployable Inf Bns at one time. There were to be a small amount of exceptions to this.

TBH I didn't think it was necessarily a good idea with regard to NI.

But any change will not just mean 2 battalions moving, it will probably mean 4+ over time.

Comment

the Guards are always on the move regardless of the ABP.

Arms Plot is sadly missed by many, me included - it was always great knowing you could be living in a new country every 3 years
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          My point is that ABP was supposed to mean that soldiers (and they families) could more or less settle in 1 location unless they changed unit. Which would add recruiting and retention.

It also meant an end (finally) to arms plotting. And would mean something like 6 more deployable Inf Bns at one time. There were to be a small amount of exceptions to this.

TBH I didn't think it was necessarily a good idea with regard to NI.

But any change will not just mean 2 battalions moving, it will probably mean 4+ over time.
                          Dev,

At the moment all the closure of Tern Hill means is that one major unit will move...not before 2020.

Its good news for them IMHO...we'll just have to wait out and see where they put them.

This is bad news for Market Drayton...the town closest to the barracks...that's a lot of spending gone.

And as RGJ says...units continue to move...as well as the Guards...the two Cyprus based infantry battalions...the one in Brunei...they rotate every three years I believe.

If you are in a Corps ie Engineers / Reme / RLC etc you can expect to move between units also anyway.

A lot of soldiers...and wives...enjoy the moving around...makes life more interesting.

Comment

This is bad news for Market Drayton...the town closest to the barracks...that's a lot of spending gone.
                            I've never understood why people complain so much about their local barracks. Once those soldiers go, you lose out on a great demographic - 18-25 year old lads (mainly) who spend their cash on booze, food and taxis. It's a boon to any town.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              Soldiers from 2 RIFLES, based in Northern Ireland, have been given a unique training opportunity with the Royal Marines, as HMS Bulwark dropped anchor in the Irish Sea.

HMS Bulwark is an Albion-class assault ship designed to put large numbers of troops and vehicles ashore as quickly as possible.

Many of the soldiers involved in this exercise have just joined 2 RIFLES from basic training.

watch the video here:

variety is the spice of life...
                              it still think it's daft that we are doing things like this alone in the Irish Sea - it would be much better if we invited ONH to join us - it's your sea!
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X