Irish Kit 1980s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
    It's interesting looking at the old Garda uniforms as well!

Little enough has changed since then; gardaí are still wearing the same trousers, shirt & tie. The great coat was mandatory from the start of September to the end of March, regardless of the weather.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
      Little enough has changed since then; gardaí are still wearing the same trousers, shirt & tie. The great coat was mandatory from the start of September to the end of March, regardless of the weather.
      You are joking! They havent gone down the UK route of wearing what is basically the kind of baselayer Helly Hensen sells, with stab vest over the top?
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
        You are joking! They havent gone down the UK route of wearing what is basically the kind of baselayer Helly Hensen sells, with stab vest over the top?
        Garda Uniform is the same as mainland UK circa 1995-2005
        Shirt & tie, slacks, boots, stab vest, hat, utility belt.
        Tunic was officially dropped as patrol wear in 2005, that's the only real change since
        Tunic went from a tall collar to an open collar with tie.

If a modern Garda on a summers day, without a stab vest on, stood next to a Garda from 1972,
        The only difference would be the lack of radio mic loops on the latters shirt.

That's progress for ya!
        Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

Originally posted by Shaqra View Post
          The flak jacket was only for wearing with CEFO. However, because they only came in one length, it made it impossible to wear the ammo pouches if you were a short arse (like me) as they ended up around your knees. Hence most people just wore belt order with the ammo pouch(es) pushed round to the side or the spare FN mags in a pocket.

Needless to say it was impossible to wear it with CEMO. On any of the Brigade exercises I was involved in during the early 80's (Collon, Mellifont, Gormanstown) the order of the day was "No Flak Jackets".

Hence to your question - no we wouldn't have been ordered to wear them to war. However, to paraphrase Clausewitz, no uniform standard survives first contact with the enemy.
          Cheers mate, exactly what i needed answered.

Cheers to everyone else though for some interesting input!

Comment

Ah the luxury when they introduced a lightweight wool trousers to replace the heavy wool trousers worn daily. The only difference being the shade was lighter than the tunic(so you couldn't wear them together) and the pockets were made of cotton, not linen. The Greatcoat was only phased out in 1995. The Mack was phased out earlier but we were still being issued them in 1994, along with the cape and pull ups. Still not sure how the pull ups were supposed to be worn. They were like someone cut the legs off a pair of leggings, and added an epaulette with buttonhole to the top.
            Boots are also a new thing, up to the early 2000s, a garda had to buy his own shoes to a specific pattern. Black,Leather, with stitched toecap, and leather sole.
            The "New" uniform introduced in the last decade, added radio loops, changed the patrol jacket and cap badge, and issued proper(ish) boots to all.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Feck it..... I want a cape....
              Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

Originally posted by tonyrdf View Post
                Feck it..... I want a cape....
                Its not a superhero cape. More like a straightjacket cape.
                Less This:

More This:

In grey.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I've heard stories about an old mule in Fitzgibbon Street in the 80's who used to be called 'The King'. If he came across a band playing in a licenced premises he could be persuaded to join them onstage for his Elvis impersonation, during which full use was made of the cape.
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I've heard stories about an old mule in Fitzgibbon Street in the 80's who used to be called 'The King'. If he came across a band playing in a licenced premises he could be persuaded to join them onstage for his Elvis impersonation, during which full use was made of the cape.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Herald; 17 May 2016, 00:28.

Comment

Would I be right in saying that the lower-profile steel helmets worn in the YouTube clip were reserved for APC crews?

Comment

just the old israeli helmets in the clip as far as i can see.

there were older steel helemts before them again but i've only ever seen them in old FCA stores. never seen them in use by PDF, before my time.

could be this:

or this, seen a few of these before minus the visor:
                        Last edited by X-RayOne; 18 May 2016, 12:24.
                        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Sod the steenking helmets! check out the old reliable 77 set complete with the much used & abused look & I bet the rubber around the presser / ptt switch is all chewed away / torn off by someone in a fit of boredom exempt signals troops from this behaviour of course.
                          Bohs till I die

Comment

I always hated being in the vicinity of anyone with a loaded Gustav. Those helmets were also used by Navy Gunners and originated with British paras and DR riders.

Comment

Most of the men in the clip seemed to be wearing steel helmets like the ones in the first pic, an officer was wearing a piss pot. I've seen plenty of piss pots in FCÁ stores, but never a steel helmet like the first one.

Comment

Would I be right in saying that the lower-profile steel helmets worn in the YouTube clip were reserved for APC crews?
                                Swedish Style came supplied with the Unimogs, APC helmet with minimal sticky out bits..not to be confused with another type that came with the Panhards but weren't steel!

Those helmets were also used by Navy Gunners and originated with British paras and DR riders.
                                Similar but not the same, we did get some of the Naval versions of the Brit Lids with the sweepers but didn't last long, along with the white roll neck sweaters
                                Last edited by hptmurphy; 18 May 2016, 23:45.
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X