No announcement yet.

manning levels, the future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those commanding our flotilla today were cadets 10 to 15 years ago, and have spent half of the years in between holding shore appointments.
    But if you look at the training and the availability of various aids they are closer to astronauts than there forebears...and we had our fair share of space cadets as well!
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
      But if you look at the training and the availability of various aids they are closer to astronauts than there forebears...and we had our fair share of space cadets as well!
      you have put your finger on the modern cause of loss of situational awareness. Too many screens to be tended, on consoles that are too high, and eyes looking inwards and not scanning the sea enough in close traffic.

Comment

• I'm sure sir, you remember a time when screens on the bridge were behind a dark curtain, so as not to interfere with night vision. Nowadays, the opposite is the case, those on the bridge are peering over the blue lit screens to the dark outside, and few seem to be keen to use the screens in night mode.
        When I had cause to drive for work by night, we had an unwritten rule that no passenger would use the screen on the phone while the vehicle is in motion. The effect is akin to shining a torch in the drivers field of view it reflects on all internal glass and can obscure lights beyond.
        Car satnavs.come with a night mode for the same reason.
        Put lookouts in front of the screens, keep screens behind curtains, available to operate when required.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• As a Retired Ex-BA Short Haul Pilot we constantly dealt with changing light conditions both within and without the flight deck.It takes the Mark 1 Human Eyeball 45mins to adjust to Full Night Vision .....in a fully fit and healthy individual ......however this is not a precise science .....technology adds to the issue of " Lack of Situational Awareness"of the Operator ...be he or she a Pilot/Navigator/Astronaut/Driver etc etc ...due to its focusing the user to use his/her spare brain capacity in interpretating what info the system(s) is presenting to him/her.............ie .....simply ...What the F##K is going on here/now ? .....Too much info for the Human Brain ...something will give .......Management of how to cope in these modern Bridge/Flight Deck Environments to deal with the correct human interface with technology is i believe the key...........Very simply ...."What are we looking at ??" ...and "What do I do Correctly Now " ....

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
            I'm sure sir, you remember a time when screens on the bridge were behind a dark curtain, so as not to interfere with night vision. Nowadays, the opposite is the case, those on the bridge are peering over the blue lit screens to the dark outside, and few seem to be keen to use the screens in night mode.
            When I had cause to drive for work by night, we had an unwritten rule that no passenger would use the screen on the phone while the vehicle is in motion. The effect is akin to shining a torch in the drivers field of view it reflects on all internal glass and can obscure lights beyond.
            Car satnavs.come with a night mode for the same reason.
            Put lookouts in front of the screens, keep screens behind curtains, available to operate when required.
            Better we keep curtains off the bridge as they can impede in their own way. The Australians have done a study on the use of ECDIS and its general effects on night mode and night vision. Even mariners trained in the use of ECDIS Screens revert to using Day mode, albeit turned down luminence, at night or dusk. Reasons for doing so is to retain the familiar yellow/blue of the paper navigation chart or that the ambient light on the bridge is too bright for night mode. The practice is believed dangerous as a range of symbols on the screen fade into the background as you darken the Day screen at night.
            Perhaps like my 191 car there should be a sensor, when selected, that will select the correct screen for a given ambient luminence. Read the Australian report. Just Google it.

Comment

• The Government will introduce a special tax credit for sea-going naval personnel from next year.

Comment

• Is it backdated though?

Comment

• Ok NS has had at least 2 classes of direct entry L/ERA’s and direct entry watchkeepers (I think there was engineering officers as well)

Now direct entry A/Cooks

Comment

• That was released by RACO yesterday.

Glad to see some recognition for the NS for the role they perform

Comment

• Its merely granting a credit that already existed for other seafarers. It's being sold to the DF as a lotto win.

Comment

• Funny thing it was mooted here some time back, but some said it couldn't be done...where there's a will ,there's a way

see post #127.... October 2018.. only took the Department 12 months to catch up.
                        Last edited by hptmurphy; 20 November 2019, 10:29.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Ok NS has had at least 2 classes of direct entry L/ERA’s and direct entry watchkeepers (I think there was engineering officers as well)

Now direct entry A/Cooks

https://www.military.ie/en/careers/c...-nov-19-1-.pdf
                          Shortage of Chefs in civvie street as well , some changes made to visa requirements a while back to allow qualified Chefs from outside the EU to come to Ireland to work . So I doubt if this is going to work out .
                          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                            Its merely granting a credit that already existed for other seafarers. It's being sold to the DF as a lotto win.
                            Ever little helps!

And it isn’t coming out of the Defence budget

Comment

• They should have been given the full seafarers. There are plenty on the NS at sea outside the 12 mile for 161 days or more.
                              €1270 per year or, €25 per week.

Comment

• Seafarers Tax credit is € 6,350 annually

The Fishers Tax Credit is € 1,270 annually

Comment

Working...
                                X