Thanks Thanks:  104
Likes Likes:  263
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 342
  1. #301
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    Probably feck all knowing the DOD. If they are lucky the NS may have free access for their students
    My main point is the continued erosion on and in the boundaries of the ONLY Naval Base in our country. The DOD have allowed inroads into the base area, such as a Crematorium in the only explosives magazine on Rocky Island. The part use of Naval property on the OIL Base by researchers now a burnt out building. Public Amenity Area on the Eastern side of the Dockyard. Public Amenity and boating area at the entrance to the Naval Base. A proposed Container berth on Oyster bank adjacent to NMCI and naval Base. Does anyone know if there is signage DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE PROPERTY, anywhere on the approaches to the Island?

  2. #302
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    My main point is the continued erosion on and in the boundaries of the ONLY Naval Base in our country. The DOD have allowed inroads into the base area, such as a Crematorium in the only explosives magazine on Rocky Island. The part use of Naval property on the OIL Base by researchers now a burnt out building. Public Amenity Area on the Eastern side of the Dockyard. Public Amenity and boating area at the entrance to the Naval Base. A proposed Container berth on Oyster bank adjacent to NMCI and naval Base. Does anyone know if there is signage DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE PROPERTY, anywhere on the approaches to the Island?
    That public area amenity is on top of a toxic waste dump

  3. #303
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    It only became a toxic waste dump in the last 20 years.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  4. #304
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    East
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    It only became a toxic waste dump in the last 20 years.
    It was a public waste dump years before that, it was one before the the system sold it on.

  5. Likes DeV liked this post
  6. #305
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    East
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by batterysgt View Post
    It was a public waste dump years before that, it was one before the the system sold it on.
    Before the state sold it on. Afaik it was sold for €1 and they had to take on all the company dept

  7. #306
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by batterysgt View Post
    Before the state sold it on. Afaik it was sold for €1 and they had to take on all the company dept
    I joined the Navy in 1961 when there were no bridges, and just us and Irish Steel. There may have been Naval domestic waste dumping in that area form the Base area and Married Quarters but Irish steel traditionally went to the East area with their glowing Slag Wagons dumped metal dross from the smelters. Historically the dumping must be as old as Irish Steel. History is memory and record but let's get on with turning freed up areas into usable building land for Naval uses.

  8. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
  9. #307
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    I joined the Navy in 1961 when there were no bridges, and just us and Irish Steel. There may have been Naval domestic waste dumping in that area form the Base area and Married Quarters but Irish steel traditionally went to the East area with their glowing Slag Wagons dumped metal dross from the smelters. Historically the dumping must be as old as Irish Steel. History is memory and record but let's get on with turning freed up areas into usable building land for Naval uses.
    The future is always Budget dependent and depends on how it is controlled and spent. Who should, once allocated, decide where money must be spent to maintain a fit for purpose Defence Forces. The Budget is decided in October and a global figure is allocated, however if elements understrength cause underspend of allocations then that money is returned to the exchequer, thereby missing an opportunity to use such funds to improve Defence structure and capability. It creates a diminishing and pauperising factor throughout the PDF and produces a threadbare Force. In my opinion Budget policy is killing off the PDF.

  10. Thanks Turkey thanked for this post
  11. #308
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    An Taoiseach was on board LE George Bernard Shaw for 2 days this week so see what life is like..... hope he saw an accurate reflection

  12. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
  13. #309
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the newest ship in the fleet; on a fine summer's day; with the admiral on board; with everybody on their best behaviour??? I doubt it.

  14. Thanks apod, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, CTU, na grohmiti, apod liked this post
  15. #310
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he meant it he would have gone out on a peacock...
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  16. #311
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The future is always Budget dependent and depends on how it is controlled and spent. Who should, once allocated, decide where money must be spent to maintain a fit for purpose Defence Forces. The Budget is decided in October and a global figure is allocated, however if elements understrength cause underspend of allocations then that money is returned to the exchequer, thereby missing an opportunity to use such funds to improve Defence structure and capability. It creates a diminishing and pauperising factor throughout the PDF and produces a threadbare Force. In my opinion Budget policy is killing off the PDF.
    Just for information. The British Forces are approving the allocation of Married Quarters to unmarried partners under certain rules around availability and recommendation. The provision of Married and other quarters in our Forces needs to be pursued with vigor.

  17. Likes na grohmiti, sofa, Turkey liked this post
  18. #312
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Just for information. The British Forces are approving the allocation of Married Quarters to unmarried partners under certain rules around availability and recommendation. The provision of Married and other quarters in our Forces needs to be pursued with vigor.
    There is an article in today's Irish Examiner that Block 8 on Haulbowline Island is going out to tender to be refurbished as an accommodation unit for 85 personnel. Work is to commence in 2020. The stone building 1822 is of course a heritage building. In keeping with modern requirements I am hoping that the floor space per person is at least 16 sq.m and that the building will have fitted out luggage rooms, with adequate room storage, for uniforms and personal equipment. Toilets and showers should be individualised within rooms to allow for gender requirements. Communial and recreational facilities should be included and also parking for private cars. This building refurb. should be matched with a similar capacity new build communial unit on sanitised land on the old ISPAT site.

  19. Thanks na grohmiti thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy, EUFighter, sofa, Truck Driver liked this post
  20. #313
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was it block 8 that was supposed to be haunted because Grain was stored there during the famine but rotted?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  21. #314
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Was it block 8 that was supposed to be haunted because Grain was stored there during the famine but rotted?
    It probably rotted because it was not issued for processing soon enough. We had at least one Ghost reported by a Duty Officer in the old HQ building. It was described as a White Lady. Slept there on a few duties but never saw it. Teetotalers don't see much in the line of ghosts.
    It is the most easterly building of the three with a central clock tower.

  22. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
  23. #315
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    There is an article in today's Irish Examiner that Block 8 on Haulbowline Island is going out to tender to be refurbished as an accommodation unit for 85 personnel. Work is to commence in 2020. The stone building 1822 is of course a heritage building. In keeping with modern requirements I am hoping that the floor space per person is at least 16 sq.m and that the building will have fitted out luggage rooms, with adequate room storage, for uniforms and personal equipment. Toilets and showers should be individualised within rooms to allow for gender requirements. Communial and recreational facilities should be included and also parking for private cars. This building refurb. should be matched with a similar capacity new build communial unit on sanitised land on the old ISPAT site.
    Isn’t that the MOD’s SLAM requirements????

    Makes sense but polar opposite of DoD

    Part of the reason SLAM can do so is they are new builds

  24. #316
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Isn’t that the MOD’s SLAM requirements????

    Makes sense but polar opposite of DoD

    Part of the reason SLAM can do so is they are new builds
    I presume the Acronym has something to do with Single Living ? There is a huge retarding ethic permeating our Civil Service IRO of providing for specialist services whether that be Defence. Education, Medical etc. They don't ever achieve a turn key status, they are like the biblical widow and buy a few bob's worth of something and continually fail to prepare for the big picture and wind up failing in key expectations like ships NOT sailing, schools NOT opening, Nurses NOT employed etc. They take the Generals mandate but only have his spear carriers capability. Turning heritage buildings into accommodation may be like a Tommy Cooper magic trick- it will work in parts.

  25. #317
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://insidedio.blog.gov.uk/2015/1...es-to-a-close/

    The problem is we generally renovate/refurbish old British Army buildings we need new buildings

  26. #318
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    The SLAM programme has had the odd failing, but it's been an overwhelming success. The 'rip it down and start again' ideology has been worth its weight in gold in allowing the project to be transformational rather than tinkering around the edges.

  27. Thanks DeV, sofa thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  28. #319
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The future is always Budget dependent and depends on how it is controlled and spent. Who should, once allocated, decide where money must be spent to maintain a fit for purpose Defence Forces. The Budget is decided in October and a global figure is allocated, however if elements understrength cause underspend of allocations then that money is returned to the exchequer, thereby missing an opportunity to use such funds to improve Defence structure and capability. It creates a diminishing and pauperising factor throughout the PDF and produces a threadbare Force. In my opinion Budget policy is killing off the PDF.
    As an addendum to comments made by me, there is an interesting piece by a retired member in the RACO Newsletter which states " Due to reviews, reorganisation and cut-backs the effectiveness of the PDF is reduced. The Defence forces, unlike the HSE or the Gardai , are NOT being tested on their primary fuction on a daily basis. As a result their ineffectiveness will remain hidden and unnoticed until , Call to arms. Fortunately in my opinion , the Navy, may be different in that they are fully operational in their duties and theatre all the time. Ships will always be ships, they just need manpower of the required trades and equipment fit-for-purpose to deal with threats.

  29. Likes Flamingo liked this post
  30. #320
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    3,737
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    As an addendum to comments made by me, there is an interesting piece by a retired member in the RACO Newsletter which states " Due to reviews, reorganisation and cut-backs the effectiveness of the PDF is reduced. The Defence forces, unlike the HSE or the Gardai , are NOT being tested on their primary fuction on a daily basis. As a result their ineffectiveness will remain hidden and unnoticed until , Call to arms. Fortunately in my opinion , the Navy, may be different in that they are fully operational in their duties and theatre all the time. Ships will always be ships, they just need manpower of the required trades and equipment fit-for-purpose to deal with threats.
    Has there ever been precedent for compulsory transferring or posting of soldiers or airmen to the Navy, either temporary to cover any jobs they are qualified for, or total change and training them up to be sailors?
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  31. #321
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Has there ever been precedent for compulsory transferring or posting of soldiers or airmen to the Navy, either temporary to cover any jobs they are qualified for, or total change and training them up to be sailors?
    Not compulsory to the Naval Service per se. but Soldiers have held posts in Haulbowline in the past such as armourers, and other trades, transport officers or signals officers.
    as for enlited rank and file, No point in transferring someone who doesn't want to be there in the first place, they could actually lose more than gain anything if this was the case.
    Time for another break I think......

  32. Thanks Flamingo, DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  33. #322
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    As an addendum to comments made by me, there is an interesting piece by a retired member in the RACO Newsletter which states " Due to reviews, reorganisation and cut-backs the effectiveness of the PDF is reduced. The Defence forces, unlike the HSE or the Gardai , are NOT being tested on their primary fuction on a daily basis. As a result their ineffectiveness will remain hidden and unnoticed until , Call to arms. Fortunately in my opinion , the Navy, may be different in that they are fully operational in their duties and theatre all the time. Ships will always be ships, they just need manpower of the required trades and equipment fit-for-purpose to deal with threats.
    Except the capacity to fulfil the day to day work is falling short too but that is mainly invisible to the public



    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Not compulsory to the Naval Service per se. but Soldiers have held posts in Haulbowline in the past such as armourers, and other trades, transport officers or signals officers.
    as for enlited rank and file, No point in transferring someone who doesn't want to be there in the first place, they could actually lose more than gain anything if this was the case.
    And from one location that is short of personnel to another

  34. #323
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Not compulsory to the Naval Service per se. but Soldiers have held posts in Haulbowline in the past such as armourers, and other trades, transport officers or signals officers.
    as for enlited rank and file, No point in transferring someone who doesn't want to be there in the first place, they could actually lose more than gain anything if this was the case.
    I remember in the Days of the Army Apprentice school we were alongside with a defective radar at Haulbowline in 1960's. The CRRM wasn't available but sent down a "new " man to try and fix the radar. He arrived, a Dubliner, small, busy, cheeky, and as confident as a lottery winner, all in a green uniform. We were sailing to Dublin and we took him to sea. The fault proved to be in the scanner, up a mast, he worked at it for hours, was getting sick, but stuck at it and fixed it. Later he ( PW ) eventually had a PO's uniform and his reputation was made as a radar black belt. Most of our ERA's, at the time came the same route and had to learn STEAM technology and then convert later to an all Diesel Navy. You can train anybody if they are willing and confident.

  35. Thanks na grohmiti, hptmurphy thanked for this post
  36. #324
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can train anybody if they are willing and confident.
    Indeed you can, assuming they want to be there in the first place.
    Time for another break I think......

  37. Likes DeV liked this post
  38. #325
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Indeed you can, assuming they want to be there in the first place.
    There needs to be a service driven policy on recruitment and retention based on a longer term strategy than at present. Micro management of the PDF by the Civil Service must stop and connection between Minister and Military must have unfiltered avenues. Stopping and starting recruitment to cover exigencies is counter-productive and wasteful of resources. It also overloads structures during training of larger numbers, especially accommodation and provision of instructors. Because of decisive effects those making Key decisions MUST be of a Military background.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •