Thanks Thanks:  153
Likes Likes:  395
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
Results 526 to 550 of 556
  1. #526
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,838
    Post Thanks / Like
    When there is nothing else going, the peanut wages will be welcome..
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  2. Likes hptmurphy, DeV liked this post
  3. #527
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,063
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    When there is nothing else going, the peanut wages will be welcome..
    Right out of the head of DoD.

  4. #528
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,919
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    Just a quick thought. The current Covid-19 crisis is seeing Naval assets deploying to quayside in cities around the country, but who is watching the ocean while this is ongoing? Again, this highlights the gross lack of investment in the Defence Forces of successive governments and like with our airspace, leaves us horribly exposed.
    I can not belive we do not have one field hospital.

  5. #529
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,838
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    I can not belive we do not have one field hospital.
    We had one, it ended its days overseas. DoD wouldn't sanction a replacement at €10m.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  6. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
  7. #530
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take it now would not be a good time for someone to be applying for discharge by purchase . Are there rules in this regard during a crisis such as the one we are presently in .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  8. #531
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    I take it now would not be a good time for someone to be applying for discharge by purchase . Are there rules in this regard during a crisis such as the one we are presently in .
    A national emergency hasn’t been declared

    It would be a very unwise person who would leave a job right now

  9. Likes Flamingo liked this post
  10. #532
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    A national emergency hasn’t been declared

    It would be a very unwise person who would leave a job right now
    I had considered that , but aside from that can discharge by purchase be denied .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  11. #533
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    How are you going recruit and retain tech wizards with peanut wages?
    Create a specialist rank within HQ., possibly Grade 1, 11, and 111, and pay them accordingly. Grade 111 @ 40 k. Grade 11@ 50k, and Grade 1 @ 70k, with shift allowances, pension provision or payments in lieu.etc. etc.

  12. #534
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    The UN and NGOS use open source GEOINT can’t remember what the problem used by UN is called but interesting

  13. #535
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    I had considered that , but aside from that can discharge by purchase be denied .
    You have to apply don’t you?

  14. #536
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,063
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Create a specialist rank within HQ., possibly Grade 1, 11, and 111, and pay them accordingly. Grade 111 @ 40 k. Grade 11@ 50k, and Grade 1 @ 70k, with shift allowances, pension provision or payments in lieu.etc. etc.
    Specialist rank is definitely the way to go, as there are people who need to be specialists first and managers never. Is the DF willing to pay specialists more than LtCols. Because that’s what it will take in some areas such as information security and data science

    Starting salary for a junior security analyst (0-2 years exp) is €58k +

  15. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
  16. #537
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    Specialist rank is definitely the way to go, as there are people who need to be specialists first and managers never. Is the DF willing to pay specialists more than LtCols. Because that’s what it will take in some areas such as information security and data science

    Starting salary for a junior security analyst (0-2 years exp) is €58k +
    DE as Comdt

  17. #538
    C/S
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    DE as Comdt
    Terrible idea. Skillsets and ranks should be seperated.

    Ranks have leadership responsibility. Having a degree in IT does not fill one with leadership abilities

  18. Likes TangoSierra liked this post
  19. #539
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    Terrible idea. Skillsets and ranks should be seperated.

    Ranks have leadership responsibility. Having a degree in IT does not fill one with leadership abilities
    Tend to agree so is solution civvy DoD employees or civil servants ?

  20. #540
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    4,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Tend to agree so is solution civvy DoD employees or civil servants ?
    It’s the obvious one...

    (Aren’t they both the same thing?)
    Last edited by Flamingo; 20th March 2020 at 20:48.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  21. #541
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,063
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Tend to agree so is solution civvy DoD employees or civil servants ?

    Option C: Uniformed military personnel as they need to be covered as combatants

  22. #542
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    4,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    Option C: Uniformed military personnel as they need to be covered as combatants
    Only if they are going into combat (World of Tanks doesn’t count!).
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  23. Likes DeV liked this post
  24. #543
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    Terrible idea. Skillsets and ranks should be seperated.

    Ranks have leadership responsibility. Having a degree in IT does not fill one with leadership abilities
    Specialists wear a military/naval uniform with Specialist badges. They are subject to Mil. authority but have none outside their operational station. If they are housed and fed their begin at rate in Dublin could be 40k live-in or 58k live- out. Check with US Gov. They use Specialists widely including Chelsea.

  25. #544
    BQMS Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Specialists wear a military/naval uniform with Specialist badges. They are subject to Mil. authority but have none outside their operational station. If they are housed and fed their begin at rate in Dublin could be 40k live-in or 58k live- out. Check with US Gov. They use Specialists widely including Chelsea.
    I believe you misunderstand the US use of the rank specialist. It is very much an enlisted rank and is in fact the most common rank in the US Army.

    It originated in World War 2 to allow for varying levels of technical grades granding higher pay scales but not necessarily higher levels of authority.

    The modern US specialist grade is at their E-4 rank. It's at at the same pay grade as a Corporal but critically they are not NCOs. In our money, the equivalent would be a 3* star private with say two year's seasoning.

    The name of the rank is misleading as there actually no 'technical' or 'specialist' connoctations to it any more. Most US infantry would be specialists for example. In fact 25% of all US Army soldiers (officer and enlisted) are specialists.

  26. #545
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,838
    Post Thanks / Like
    The US army had a separate rank structure for certain specialists, such as pilots. Neither NCO nor Officer they fall in to a number of WO grades. (Not the same as our WO, who is equivalent to BSM).
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  27. Likes DeV liked this post
  28. #546
    BQMS Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    The US army had a separate rank structure for certain specialists, such as pilots. Neither NCO nor Officer they fall in to a number of WO grades. (Not the same as our WO, who is equivalent to BSM).
    Directly correct. WO1 to WO5. Used by some services more than others.

    Most notable use is by the US Army. Most of their pilots are Warrant Officers.

  29. #547
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    Directly correct. WO1 to WO5. Used by some services more than others.

    Most notable use is by the US Army. Most of their pilots are Warrant Officers.
    Watch yourselves, whenever there's any mention of the US Army's WO ranks, some loon turns up demanding that members of other militaries salute them....

  30. Likes sofa, Flamingo liked this post
  31. #548
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    I believe you misunderstand the US use of the rank specialist. It is very much an enlisted rank and is in fact the most common rank in the US Army.

    It originated in World War 2 to allow for varying levels of technical grades granding higher pay scales but not necessarily higher levels of authority.

    The modern US specialist grade is at their E-4 rank. It's at at the same pay grade as a Corporal but critically they are not NCOs. In our money, the equivalent would be a 3* star private with say two year's seasoning.

    The name of the rank is misleading as there actually no 'technical' or 'specialist' connoctations to it any more. Most US infantry would be specialists for example. In fact 25% of all US Army soldiers (officer and enlisted) are specialists.
    The question was how do we recruit a certain range of specialists. The answer is direct employment at an attractive retentive pay scale. Sort out relationships to suit discipline and where people sleep and eat.

  32. #549
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The question was how do we recruit a certain range of specialists. The answer is direct employment at an attractive retentive pay scale. Sort out relationships to suit discipline and where people sleep and eat.
    A study of US Army Cyber shows that specialists and Technicians are recruited at WO and Officer levels. The WO levels are Cyber Warfare Technician, Electronic Warfare Technician, Cyber Operator Specialist. The Officer candidates are recruitable as Cyber Operations Officers. All these employments are direct entry and the process is available to read on line. Not everybody is a specialist but I do concede that hard edge units such as Rangers, Seals etc would be classified and paid as Specialists.

  33. #550
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    4,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    From memory, the BA had bands and classes of pay within a rank, which would be used to increase pay for qualifications over and above the basic pay for that rank, and could mean somebody getting higher pay than the rank above depending on qualifications. I don't know if it still applies, but don't see why it wouldn't.
    Last edited by Flamingo; 22nd March 2020 at 09:07.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •