No announcement yet.

manning levels, the future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So we must keep the officers wardroom servants, so that on the rare occasion the ship becomes a floating embassy, there is someone capable of serving the Ferrero rocher?
    Great use of manpower there folks, when we have 2 ships without enough crew to put to sea.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      So we must keep the officers wardroom servants, so that on the rare occasion the ship becomes a floating embassy, there is someone capable of serving the Ferrero rocher?
      Great use of manpower there folks, when we have 2 ships without enough crew to put to sea.
      I have never seen chocolates of any nature being served except at mess dinner but I have seen our catering staff serving meals to 50 guests each time on two days in New York. A Navy lives by Tradition and doing away with Stewards will diminish numbers and remove avenues of advancement for them as they can move to other branches in the service and even aspire to much higher ranks . Most of Admin and Supplies officers are from that Branch.

Comment

• Probably one A/SA aboard who doesn't stand watches .

I would like clarification from some still serving to who does what these days, but I do know that Stewards as a subdivision of the Logs branch , where people were trained as silver service stewards is long gone.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Comment

• What's wrong with having to buy your own boot polish?

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
              A Navy lives by Tradition
              There was me thinking it was the ability to put its naval vessels to see operational

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
              What's wrong with having to buy your own boot polish?
              Many people’s attitude would be if my employer requires me to polish my boots that it should be provided.

And given the low pay I would tend to agree

Comment

• Last time I got issued boots at work (A state agency, OGP provided boots) they came with a tube of polish. I also got €65 per year footwear allowance, for maintenance of same. Once upon a time the DF had an allowance (or some did at least) to maintain ones uniform. In the absence of this allowance then things like polish or laundry service should be provided.

Comment

• There is a tax credit available to cover polish and other incidentals. Did PDFORRA not win this concession from Revenue some years ago?

Comment

So we must keep the officers wardroom servants, so that on the rare occasion the ship becomes a floating embassy, there is someone capable of serving the Ferrero rocher?
                    So who gets to clean up the Senior and Junior Rates mess after their meals and wash and dry all the cutlery and plates , a rating doing the same thing as a Ships Steward . The Wardroom would have to located next to the galley with a serving hatch to do away with what's being done at present , otherwise it means crew members standing in line to be served with an officer behind them and feeling obliged to step aside . Such a move would cause more problems that it solves .
                    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                      So who gets to clean up the Senior and Junior Rates mess after their meals and wash and dry all the cutlery and plates , a rating doing the same thing as a Ships Steward . The Wardroom would have to located next to the galley with a serving hatch to do away with what's being done at present , otherwise it means crew members standing in line to be served with an officer behind them and feeling obliged to step aside . Such a move would cause more problems that it solves .
                      This is what happens in the real world.
                      Crew clean up after themselves. A new invention called a dishwasher deals with the cutlery and plates. New ships have a dumb waiter from Galley to wardroom. When officer wants food, he uses intercom, just like Mc Donalds.. Galley load meals into dumb waiter.
                      Its not rocket science.
                      Coolmoney dining hall has officers queuing behind ordinary NCOs and Privates. A good leader makes sure his troops are fed first.
                      In my job I queue for meals in the canteen. If my boss, his boss, or his boss's boss is in the Queue behind us, we don't move aside. Those days are gone.
                      Otherwise all this "team" thing the DF pride themselves on is all bollox.

Comment

• I'm well aware of what happens in the real world of providing catering services and fitting out of new and existing establishments , it being my profession both hear in Europe and eighteen years doing it in the U.S . During this time I have never come across a dishwashing machine that can load and unload itself and stack plates back on a shelf, or maybe that's the new invention you speak of which would require rocket science . The dumb waiter , now that's going back a bit in time ,nothing new there . I remember the one on Eithne when it was being installed while the ship was being fitted out. In fact I can say I was to first to use it .
                        Last edited by Laners; 3 October 2019, 21:33.
                        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Last time I got issued boots at work (A state agency, OGP provided boots) they came with a tube of polish. I also got €65 per year footwear allowance, for maintenance of same. Once upon a time the DF had an allowance (or some did at least) to maintain ones uniform. In the absence of this allowance then things like polish or laundry service should be provided.
                          For officers and some NCOs, which also is for buying said uniform

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                          There is a tax credit available to cover polish and other incidentals. Did PDFORRA not win this concession from Revenue some years ago?
                          Around 2017 I think

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                          Strange because in the army, if a Pln are being fed in the dining hall together it private’s are first, then NCOs and then Officer (if not being fed in Officer mess). The only people who skip are duties

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Strange because in the army, if a Pln are being fed in the dining hall together it private’s are first, then NCOs and then Officer (if not being fed in Officer mess). The only people who skip are duties
                            Different beast at sea though. During the weekend on the base, you queue as you arrive in the galley with those on duties of course skipping to the top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                              Different beast at sea though. During the weekend on the base, you queue as you arrive in the galley with those on duties of course skipping to the top.
                              Everyone has a point of view when feeding service personnel. The 02 was berthed at the gasometer in Dublin in the 1960's and the Officers were in the wardroom having their Sunday lunch, with a scuttle open for fresh air. A teenager from a family group looking through the open scuttle shouted " Dad look at those people eating our food". As regards who does what aboard ship, the task is in the title of the Job. My dad joined in 1923 at Beggar's Bush in Dublin. On instruction the first things he bought from pay was a Button stick, tin of Brasso, and a tin of Brown (SCIENCE) Boot Polish, Brushes provided in Kit.
                              Last edited by ancientmariner; 4 October 2019, 10:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                                I did the jobs of looking after both the Senior rates and Juniors rates mess and while its a bit of a pain in the arse, its a right of passage, a tradition that has always been there and not for one minute should it be discontinued.Those who sit in the messes have done the job previously themselves.

The whole picky choosy thing of people now wanting to choose what they do while in the DF is driving me bananas.. you do as you are told , so get fcuk on with it.

Next thing they'll be looking at contract cleaners to clean ships as its beneath those who do it.....They won't live on them..... they complain about all aspects of them, they don't want to go to sea......MTFU... its a navy ...
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X