manning levels, the future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Everyone has a point of view when feeding service personnel. The 02 was berthed at the gasometer in Dublin in the 1960's and the Officers were in the wardroom having their Sunday lunch, with a scuttle open for fresh air. A teenager from a family group looking through the open scuttle shouted " Dad look at those people eating our food". As regards who does what aboard ship, the task is in the title of the Job. My dad joined in 1923 at Beggar's Bush in Dublin. On instruction the first things he bought from pay was a Button stick, tin of Brasso, and a tin of Brown (SCIENCE) Boot Polish, Brushes provided in Kit.
    I do remember the shock off a few new-entrants in my first week in when we were expected to head straight to Dunnes and buy polish, shoe brushes and cleaning products for our accommodation. In saying that, a lot of what we needed was on the joining instructions (with the exception of the need for brasso and bottles of flash) but we hadn't even been paid yet. seems to be done thing in other countries too though.

Comment

• In most places there are on base retailer such as Naafi to provide such items at a fair price.
      Templemore used to have this too. You could buy asics runners blackthorn shoes and shoe polish from the canteen for a fraction of the normal retail price.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
        In most places there are on base retailer such as Naafi to provide such items at a fair price.
        Templemore used to have this too. You could buy asics runners blackthorn shoes and shoe polish from the canteen for a fraction of the normal retail price.
        Agreed. No trapsing around shoe shops to find kiwi parade because Tesco didn't have it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
          Different beast at sea though. During the weekend on the base, you queue as you arrive in the galley with those on duties of course skipping to the top.
          Note I did say Pln if coming in together

Comment

I do remember the shock off a few new-entrants in my first week in when we were expected to head straight to Dunnes and buy polish, shoe brushes and cleaning products for our accommodation. In saying that, a lot of what we needed was on the joining instructions (with the exception of the need for brasso and bottles of flash) but we hadn't even been paid yet. seems to be done thing in other countries too though.
            I got an issue boot cleaning kit (brushes, 1 tin of polish, scrubbing brush in a little DF bag) before going on a cse

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              I got an issue boot cleaning kit (brushes, 1 tin of polish, scrubbing brush in a little DF bag) before going on a cse
              Sounds very handy. Possibly not issued anymore. I was issued a ridiculous amount of gear and unfortunately the above wasn't one! What polish was it? Issued but not encouraged to use?

Comment

Sounds very handy. Possibly not issued anymore. I was issued a ridiculous amount of gear and unfortunately the above wasn't one! What polish was it? Issued but not encouraged to use?
                Kiwi Parade Gloss

Comment

• Just a reminder that 500 x 2-bed apartments could be built on Defence Forces property for €110 Million. Just over half an Multi rĂ´le vessel. (Discount VAT, sale cost, contributions etc). If the capital budget was targeted at supporting the Defence Forces greatest asset - People, this could become a reality in less that 3 years.

2 bed apartment would be able to accommodate range of both single and family types (2 x singles, married couple + one child, married couple + two young children)

Obviously a range of 2/3/4/6 bedroom apartment types would be better.

Rent based on 30% median average industrial salary of €30,000, would mean €110 million would be paid back in less than 25 years.

Post 25 year payback, the rental income would pay for 20 new 2-bed apartments per year.

Before anyone gets started on interest, the state is borrowing at zero percent interest over 10 years.

Depositors and investors will, by now, realise that the zero interest rate policy being pursued by the European Central Bank (ECB) is having a disastrous effect on pensions, savings and investments.
                  Last edited by TangoSierra; 9 October 2019, 23:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
                    Just a reminder that 500 x 2-bed apartments could be built on Defence Forces property for €110 Million. Just over half an Multi rôle vessel. (Discount VAT, sale cost, contributions etc). If the capital budget was targeted at supporting the Defence Forces greatest asset - People, this could become a reality in less that 3 years.

2 bed apartment would be able to accommodate range of both single and family types (2 x singles, married couple + one child, married couple + two young children)

Obviously a range of 2/3/4/6 bedroom apartment types would be better.

Rent based on 30% median average industrial salary of €30,000, would mean €110 million would be paid back in less than 25 years.

Post 25 year payback, the rental income would pay for 20 new 2-bed apartments per year.

Before anyone gets started on interest, the state is borrowing at zero percent interest over 10 years.
                    A big chance to build quarters for now and future needs with relative ease to move married families and single personnel. With negative interest rates here the only investments are Buildings, Gold , land , and cash under the Bed. Con-current with housing we need to modernise our all-round response to high intensity operations such as the Turkish knock on the door in Syria. It is a good example of the modern tendancy of WAR ON THE GO!!

Comment

• We can’t do it for homeless people

Comment

• It would be much easier to deal with serving troops than homeless. None of the issues around mental health / addiction / unemployment / low income associated with some homeless, rent taken at source, disciplinary action can be taken over damage to property by occupants, hygiene and cleanliness standards can be enforced...
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          We can’t do it for homeless people
                          Quite correct. Because all building has been vested in building groups that are essentially investors from overseas. They will not build social housing except at a higher cost than Gov. will pay. They want to build apartments and office spaces mostly for lease or rent. They need to revert to funding indigenous builders to build housing on the same procedural model that produced the vast housing estates of suburban Cities post WW11.
                          For private housing, again in the late 40's and 50's you had NATO ( National Asscn Of Tenants) whereby a group of people would undertake to buy a particular avenue , or drive of houses. It was how we were housed ,after my father left the Army in 1948, at Seapark Drive Clontarf.

Comment

• The building program that provided development of what would now be considered social housing in 1950s ireland has served us well. They were exceptionally well built, and recent modifications to most have made them very energy efficient homes. My sister owns one, a good friend another. Both required little in the way of extra insulation, the hardest job being trying to do anything involving the rock solid walls. It would make a good long term infrastructure investment for the state to invest in similar modern energy efficient homes.
                            Apartment blocks, have been shown not to be a long term solution.
                            However, for the defence forces, to house its young soldiers and their young families, a combination of apartment and duplex developments would be suitable.
                            It annoyed me somewhat when the former married quarters, built when the British Army operated Sarsfield barracks, were let go derelict, before being unloaded on a developer who turned them into social housing. These could have been homes for employees of that barracks, instead of homes for those outside the fence.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                              The building program that provided development of what would now be considered social housing in 1950s ireland has served us well. They were exceptionally well built, and recent modifications to most have made them very energy efficient homes. My sister owns one, a good friend another. Both required little in the way of extra insulation, the hardest job being trying to do anything involving the rock solid walls. It would make a good long term infrastructure investment for the state to invest in similar modern energy efficient homes.
                              Apartment blocks, have been shown not to be a long term solution.
                              However, for the defence forces, to house its young soldiers and their young families, a combination of apartment and duplex developments would be suitable.
                              It annoyed me somewhat when the former married quarters, built when the British Army operated Sarsfield barracks, were let go derelict, before being unloaded on a developer who turned them into social housing. These could have been homes for employees of that barracks, instead of homes for those outside the fence.
                              Very well said and exactly right. Part of the problem is the Ethic within councils and Departments since they got rid of shovels and most outdoor staff. Since the BIN men left they have no idea of whether there is a passable road into anywhere. The whole thing is office bound producing reports and various bits of whatiffery.

Comment

• On a bit of lateral thinking (and using the "Adapt, Improvise, Overcome" concept so familiar to us all), has there ever been any consideration to members of the forces setting up a Housing Association? I

It would be a way for the people who need the housing to take control of the issue, keeping politician's and civil servants at arms length.

'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                                X