No announcement yet.

manning levels, the future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a while since a foreign trip. Long overdue.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      Been a while since a foreign trip. Long overdue.
      Hope they don't have to request freebies from all the big suppliers of dining comestibles, booze, and gifts for US/UN dignitaries. Some of the EURO 29.4m handed back from Defence Budget 2018 should do it. We always felt dirty begging for Waterford Crystal, steaks, cream, wine, and whatever your having yourself, along with dozens of sets of entertainment ware- glasses etc. The trip is a vital confidence builder but the work is hard to make it happen.Without Bord Bia, Guinness, and many, many more, it would not take off.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
        Hope they don't have to request freebies from all the big suppliers of dining comestibles, booze, and gifts for US/UN dignitaries. Some of the EURO 29.4m handed back from Defence Budget 2018 should do it. We always felt dirty begging for Waterford Crystal, steaks, cream, wine, and whatever your having yourself, along with dozens of sets of entertainment ware- glasses etc. The trip is a vital confidence builder but the work is hard to make it happen.Without Bord Bia, Guinness, and many, many more, it would not take off.
        29.4 million!! F****ng hell! that'd pay the lease on 4 gripens alone for a year!

Comment

I hope that is exactly what they do do. The defence budget should not be used to supplement foreign affairs, IDA, enterprise Ireland, Bord Bia. The cost of the fuel should be cross charged to DFA

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
            I hope that is exactly what they do do. The defence budget should not be used to supplement foreign affairs, IDA, enterprise Ireland, Bord Bia. The cost of the fuel should be cross charged to DFA
            I found the practice demeaning. Defence Budget should be spent, every year in it's totality, so that in lean manpower years , the Services can update to modern weapon systems, accommodation, and transport. It should also cover exigencies demanded of units that require financial expenditure. I agree if tasks are undertaken by Defence on behalf of another Department's Program then they ( DFA ) should foot the Bill. Bord Bia were usually helpful with boxed steaks and frozen cream.

Comment

• I think Enterprise Ireland does the begging these days, to local Irish Companies, for "exposure" at these events.
              Remember when Derek Davis ate his way around Asia, while Passenger on L.E. Niamh? (Worth mentioning the people who were cadets on that cruise are now commanding their own vessels).

Comment

I found the practice demeaning. Defence Budget should be spent, every year in it's totality, so that in lean manpower years , the Services can update to modern weapon systems, accommodation, and transport. It should also cover exigencies demanded of units that require financial expenditure. I agree if tasks are undertaken by Defence on behalf of another Department's Program then they ( DFA ) should foot the Bill. Bord Bia were usually helpful with boxed steaks and frozen cream.
                The duck was excellent as was the frozen cream , came in very handy for the Irish Coffees .
                Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                  The duck was excellent as was the frozen cream , came in very handy for the Irish Coffees .
                  The question now is who will serve it in the Navy to be redesigned by PDFORRA. They say they have a proposal from SB that it is demeaning fror "Logistic Operatives" to serve Officers at table. If we lose 4 stewards from a ships crew it would hit dayworker numbers and reduce the emergency capabilities within the ship.e.g. Fire awareness , Firefighting, Medical assisting, LMG, MG operations , and any other work suitable to dayworkers. There may be a case for civilianising all catering in the Base but it would have to be offset cost wise elsewhere by deleting certain traditional jobs.

Comment

• Surely there is better things the "stewards" could be doing other than making coffee for the officers aboard.
                    The world has changed, collect your food at the hatch.like everyone else. No practical reason for officers aboard ship to have waiters or waitresses. These people are trained first as sailors. Are they expected to dress the officers beds too?
                    You'll be hard pressed to find stewards aboard merchant ships, and even those who work on cruise liners expect to be heavily tipped.
                    I don't know of any other modern navy who employ full time wardroom stewards.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                      Surely there is better things the "stewards" could be doing other than making coffee for the officers aboard.
                      The world has changed, collect your food at the hatch.like everyone else. No practical reason for officers aboard ship to have waiters or waitresses. These people are trained first as sailors. Are they expected to dress the officers beds too?
                      You'll be hard pressed to find stewards aboard merchant ships, and even those who work on cruise liners expect to be heavily tipped.
                      I don't know of any other modern navy who employ full time wardroom stewards.
                      If you are having a hatch service then the steward is redundant and the ship would have to be redesigned to allow the Captains choice to be put on his plate. The only modern Navies that have stewards are the RN , USN,( the latter use Filipinos to serve officers and maintain their quarters),The RNZN, and the RAN and the RCN. I don't know anything about non- English speaking Navies but any ship I served on such as RNLN Van SpeK, Gorch Fock, and a French Destroyer all had Steward Service. They are an important part of the ships Formal and VIP duties. I think we could consider offering jobs to Chinese and maybe Filipinos as there are 250,000 Asians in the Country. There is nothing worse than an unhappy caterer. All merchant ships deepsea have Chief Stewards and Stewards. Very small units with 9 or 10 crew may not. I found Chinese Stewards excellent.

Comment

• I think the Naval Service calls them Supplies now and their role is much more involved in logistics

Comment

• So to avoid our logs branch having to serve their officers tea and crumpets, you suggest instead perhaps recruiting some coolies or chai wallahs?

Comment

• Maybe get a few Chinese laundry men as well , ok joking aside . Our naval vessels are Ships of State , and as such are expected to support diplomatic efforts abroad such as the resent visit to New York and all that entails with receptions etc . Take away the positions of ship steward and you have just reduced the ability to support that role for the future . You need every bit of help to support your purpose in the big scheme of things . The Dep of Foreign Affairs might not be supportive if the Navy could no longer provide the ability to serve the State while abroad . In other words , don't shoot yourself in the foot .
                            Last edited by Laners; 3 October 2019, 07:25.
                            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
                              I think the Naval Service calls them Supplies now and their role is much more involved in logistics
                              They were always part of the supplies branch, a sub division of same, the stewards role in its original format which was basically to support the offers in a number of roles was written off in the mid 90s with guys serving as Stewards given an opt out to move to other divisions. Supplies Assistants ( Dustys) still have a role of their own.

Logs was broken down in writers, dustys and stewards and road transport, each with its command structure within the branch.

Eithne in its day had 3 A / Stew, 1 L/ Steward and 1 PO / Stew...plus the other logs people to include 4 X Chefs, 1 X SPO Dusty 1 X L/ SA and 1 A/SA and a L/ Wr
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                                Maybe get a few Chinese laundry men as well , ok joking aside . Our naval vessels are Ships of State , and as such are expected to support diplomatic efforts abroad such as the resent visit to New York and all that entails with receptions etc . Take away the positions of ship steward and you have just reduced the ability to support that role for the future . You need every bit of help to support your purpose in the big scheme of things . The Dep of Foreign Affairs might not be supportive if the Navy could no longer provide the ability to serve the State while abroad . In other words , don't shoot yourself in the foot .

Well said. Unload!!

Comment

Working...
                                X