Thanks Thanks:  139
Likes Likes:  372
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    We were very proud of holding the high moral ground being the first in the world to ban smoking in pubs and getting rid of plastic bags.
    Wouldn't we be a shining light in the world to be the first to ban our armed forces.

Don't laugh the nancy boys are in charge.
    We are beaten by Costa Rica , since 1948, they have security elements but no standing Army. We are overcome by ruritanian decision makers whose oversight agencies close creches, Homes, cut back medical staff and infrastructure, allow insurance companies and banks run riot, fine hospitals with no money, take pensions off state pensioners, and spend 42m on e-voting machines, and 1.6mm on a printer. They are also the worst project managers in this world at overruns.

2. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes CTU, Bayern Fan liked this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    We are beaten by Costa Rica , since 1948, they have security elements but no standing Army. We are overcome by ruritanian decision makers whose oversight agencies close creches, Homes, cut back medical staff and infrastructure, allow insurance companies and banks run riot, fine hospitals with no money, take pensions off state pensioners, and spend 42m on e-voting machines, and 1.6mm on a printer. They are also the worst project managers in this world at overruns.

Berlin's Airport project would like to weigh in on that.

4. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes sofa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are getting people mixed up - the Project Managers are not the decision makers. The Decision makers make the decisions and the project managers are required to manage projects that they know are going to go pear shaped but have little input into changing.

Politicians are quick to blame civil servants for a lot of their own failings despite the fact that a civil servant can't do anything without ministerial oversight and approval of everything from budget to staffing levels to procedures. The civil servants also get it because they are usually the bearers of the bad news. In a lot of cases, the civil servant is trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear; they get the blame because the politicians promised the silk purse and needs someone to blame when the silk purse does not appear.

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poiuyt View Post
    I think you are getting people mixed up - the Project Managers are not the decision makers. The Decision makers make the decisions and the project managers are required to manage projects that they know are going to go pear shaped but have little input into changing.

Politicians are quick to blame civil servants for a lot of their own failings despite the fact that a civil servant can't do anything without ministerial oversight and approval of everything from budget to staffing levels to procedures. The civil servants also get it because they are usually the bearers of the bad news. In a lot of cases, the civil servant is trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear; they get the blame because the politicians promised the silk purse and needs someone to blame when the silk purse does not appear.
    The game gets lost when the project committee, usually chaired by the APO or in some cases a PO, and their staffs, become after a time, read into the project underway and slip in their own view of what Brand of item should be included to make up the project item whether that be a ship or building. The advisers are feeding them notions on how to save money-plastic pipes instead of metal---galvanised pipes instead of copper. They have no problem with telling you the level of armament that can be provided for the money OR it is to come from a current Defence budget on a trade off eg. a gun for you and no trucks for the Army.

Post Thanks / Like
    The game gets lost when the project committee, usually chaired by the APO or in some cases a PO, and their staffs, become after a time, read into the project underway and slip in their own view of what Brand of item should be included to make up the project item whether that be a ship or building. The advisers are feeding them notions on how to save money-plastic pipes instead of metal---galvanised pipes instead of copper. They have no problem with telling you the level of armament that can be provided for the money OR it is to come from a current Defence budget on a trade off eg. a gun for you and no trucks for the Army.
    APOs and POs don't have advisors & they are working within the budget....set by the Minister or Minister for Finance/PER. As I said, they have been handed a projects that requires X money but they only have Y. And their options are do it for Y money or don't do it all. At the end of the day, it is the Politicians at the top who make all the decisions.
    Last edited by Poiuyt; 20th December 2019 at 17:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Civil servants advise on and implement Government policy. They are supposed to be the SMEs

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poiuyt View Post
    APOs and POs don't have advisors & they are working within the budget....set by the Minister or Minister for Finance/PER. As I said, they have been handed a projects that requires X money but they only have Y. And their options are do it for Y money or don't do it all. At the end of the day, it is the Politicians at the top who make all the decisions.
    It now seems that the in-coming administration will, under the guise of their published Policy Paper on Neutrality and Defence, remove much need for equipment or upgrading/modernising of the PDF. They are particularly sceptical of PESCO and the EU program of mutuality in Defence and financial supports. It would be ironic to imagine how Defence and Intelligence will run in the new scenario and how many will have sleepless nights after files are dredged. Get the incinerators going now and start with a CLEAN sheet.

10. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully their time in government will be short, but I predict a lot of score settling in the interim.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will the new brigade be the 3rd Northern Brigade

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scale of issue has been updated. All troops are to be issued with balaclavas.

14. Likes na grohmiti, CTU, Flamingo, trellheim liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    What's the update with the introduction of ni gloves, sunglasses and US web belts to replace sd1?

16. Likes Pegasus, CTU, Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not forgetting Neutrality being put into the Constitution

Pulling out of PfP and the military aspects of EU

Until Brexit, SF was an anti-EU party

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Not forgetting Neutrality being put into the Constitution

Pulling out of PfP and the military aspects of EU

Until Brexit, SF was an anti-EU party
    Whatever goes into the Constitution, it should include an oath appropriate to high office, with mandatory penalties an exclusion from all Dail and council offices for those found to be acting against good order and expected discipline, including uttering support for illegal organisations.

19. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmiti, DeV, Flamingo liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    But what about fine Gael and (insert irrelevant whataboutery here)?

21. Likes DeV liked this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    Arms drill manual to be amended to include baseball bats .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

23. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    Arms drill manual to be amended to include baseball bats .
    Dan Harvey's book , Soldiering During the troubles, is interesting and gives a clear picture of the involvement of many that held or now hold office both North and South.
    The Naval actions off the SW Coast didn't stop one of the participants being elected and sitting in our Dail. I thought anyone with doubt in their CV were prohibited from putting their hands on the reins of power. The Dail members must be encouraged to give us a safe Government.

25. Likes DeV, Flamingo, Shaqra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan Harvey's book , Soldiering During the troubles, is interesting and gives a clear picture of the involvement of many that held or now hold office both North and South.
    The Naval actions off the SW Coast didn't stop one of the participants being elected and sitting in our Dail. I thought anyone with doubt in their CV were prohibited from putting their hands on the reins of power. The Dail members must be encouraged to give us a safe Government.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...t_bibl_vppi_i0

Looks like a good read...hadn't heard of this book before.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

27. Likes Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...t_bibl_vppi_i0

Looks like a good read...hadn't heard of this book before.
    It was relatively recently published very good read

29. Thanks spider thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan never disappoints.

31. Thanks spider thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered it...arrives tomorrow

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well done. I must get a copy in Eason's. Apparently, I,m told, that the Good Friday Agreement gave them a plenary indulgence but they forget that most of us don't want to hear of their residual coercive aspirations while we are still floundering to repair our social structures.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't have bothered..Its a very sterile book thick with political input and very little input from those on the ground appart for a few officers and one NCO, Like Harveys other book, tough going in places with detail that has been well reported else where.
    Time for another break I think......

35. Likes Banner, Tempest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    I wouldn't have bothered..Its a very sterile book thick with political input and very little input from those on the ground appart for a few officers and one NCO, Like Harveys other book, tough going in places with detail that has been well reported else where.
    It's arrived...I'm on a FTX from Weds for a couple of weeks it's in my Bergan. Along with a copy of 'The Real Cruel Sea'...it's going to be a cold boring couple of weeks

37. Likes Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For some unknown reason, the book I always packed for exercises was “Pride and Prejudice”. Maybe because it was so at odds with what was going on in the real world.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy
    Last edited by Flamingo; 16th February 2020 at 21:25.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

39. Likes spider liked this post

Thread Information