Thanks Thanks:  153
Likes Likes:  395
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    From memory, the BA had bands and classes of pay within a rank, which would be used to increase pay for qualifications over and above the basic pay for that rank, and could mean somebody getting higher pay than the rank above depending on qualifications. I don't know if it still applies, but don't see why it wouldn't.
    Sounds similar to Technical Pay here. The small allowances are not enough in most cases to retain people.

Even those on Tech 6, the highest rate of allowance, are on around €6000 more than the standard rate of pay. An IT guru Sgt is still on well under €50,000 gross a year. When he can walk into another job starting on €70,000 and not have to deal with any of the inconveniences of being in the Defence Forces
    Last edited by Fantasia; 22nd March 2020 at 09:38.

2. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Friend of mine left the NS many moons ago from the Comp cen, went into a civvy job in a tech multinational for double the money. His boss was a former PO/RRT. It would take a lot more than €50k a year to attract him back with his skillset.
    Then again, that would force an increase in similar tech jobs in the rest of the PS, most of whom hold HEO grade at just over €50K per year.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought IT skills such as Software engineer etc. degrees weren't recognised in the defence forces for tech pay?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    I thought IT skills such as Software engineer etc. degrees weren't recognised in the defence forces for tech pay?
    Would they receive tech pay in the region of tens of thousands of euros so as to attract those with said qualifications?

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    They're not. Currently the only way for enlisted personnel to qualify for Tech 5/6 pay is to go through the CIS trainee technician scheme. A scheme which is unfit for purpose given the modern needs of the DF.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    They're not. Currently the only way for enlisted personnel to qualify for Tech 5/6 pay is to go through the CIS trainee technician scheme. A scheme which is unfit for purpose given the modern needs of the DF.
    In a historic sense there was always a tendency for those involved in equipping the PDF with a skills base to offload structures and systems in favour of a ready made solution from civilian 3rd Level Insts. or Universities. The major loss was that inducted personnel had a civilian ethos which by and large wasn't replaced in a deep militarising training programme. We got rid of the Apprentice School and didn't sustain or modernise front edge capabilities in any of the support services such as Aer Corps and Naval Service. We are now confronted by the cyber world and world contagion, and in the latter matter prepared for the eventuality by closing down medical facilities and a coherent staff. What we do and what we've always done is based on the theory that " there will be no fire tonight".

8. Likes na grohmiti, X-RayOne liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwatch View Post
    All well and good to do that, but that does not resolve the current key issue that the government are NOT remunerating DF personnel at a rate commensurate with their skillset and experience and with regard to their separation. If the leaks are to be believed, AC pilots will get allowances (Air Component operations supported), overseas allowance increased (land component supported) and PDA brought up a meager €5 .... Maritime Component supported?
    Sea going has to be incentivised.
    No point looking ahead 20 years while we wither on the vine.
    Anyone know what became of Dogwatch? No sign of him since last December.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Thread Information