Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ireland's Peacekeeping model fit for purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Current model is seen by some as the "Old World" lecturing the developing world, while using the troops of the developing world as its enforcers.
    It didn't work in the 1950s, it works less today. For example, how has UNFICYP contributed to stabilisation of the territorial dispute in Cyprus? Has the UN Buffer zone just maintained the Status Quo for the last 60 years or so? The British maintain a Base there still, and play a lead role in the UM mission. Is that not a continuation of imperialism with a blue beret?
    I understand in the 90s, Gardai sent out under UNMIBH to Bosnia-Herzegovina in reality worked under Europol control, as the UN were no longer trusted in the area. Vehicles carried IPTF logo, not UN. Europol ended up taking over the mission in 2002 as EUPM.
    20 or so years ago the UN was exposed badly in the Balkans, and little was done since to fix what was broken. Now with a UNSC member having invaded a neighbouring state, claimed its territory, and continued its invasion further under the guise of protecting the occupants of their currently captured territory, and the UN is powerless to prevent it, and Sanctions are being actively bypassed without penalty, it demonstrates how very League of Nations it has become.
    Absolutely, some of these have become frozen conflicts

Comment

I'm reluctant to mention UNIFIL as I firmly believe the Contingent has done wonders for the local community. The Hearts & minds stuff the PR branch from UNIFIL put out..But surely that could also be done by an unarmed NGO?

For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
        I'm reluctant to mention UNIFIL as I firmly believe the Contingent has done wonders for the local community. The Hearts & minds stuff the PR branch from UNIFIL put out..But surely that could also be done by an unarmed NGO?

It could but South Lebanon / the Blue Line remains a unpredictable place

there have been a number of incidents over the last month of so

It’s a complex situation in Lebanon with various internal (and external) crisis effecting it directly….. refugees, Hezbollah (military & civilian), economy, food, Syria, Israel, Iran, political instability, their own military….. I could keep going

UNIFIL exists to basically prevent conflict between Lebanon and Israel. Part of that is supporting the LAF in ensuring that South Lebanon is free from used to be called “Armed Elements” (not sure what they are called now).

17 years after the new mandate, the LAF (and UN) still aren’t able to do so. However, if UNIFIL was withdrawn it would probably be worse.

If UNIFIL withdrew, you could have renewed fighting involving Israel.

Cyprus is a different situation with a very different history.

my 2 cents:

The whole island of Cyprus is in the EU and it is an independent state (but the State isn’t recognised by the Northern part of the island and EU law doesn’t apply there).

Cyprus and Greece are in the EU, while Turkey is in the EU Customs Union. Greece and Turkey are NATO allies. The EU really should be doing more.

Comment

Working...
        X