X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anzac View Post
    https://adbr.com.au/red-hawk-for-raaf/

Get to the bit were it talks about AIR 6002 Phase 2

To this end, the successful system will likely require a high-performance – likely supersonic – aircraft with open architecture systems to allow for the integration of avionics, sensors, communications, electronic warfare emulators, and weapons. All of these systems will be required to challenge a 5th gen combat capability such as the F-35A during training.

Boeing-Saab said at Farnborough that the Redhawk was developed with reference to be able to take the initial advanced LIFT platform ( The T-38 replacement) into a Lightweight Fighter (A 21st century take on the F-5E) and with Air 6002 Phase 2 they will have their opportunity to meet the RAAF's requirements. In other words a fully combat capable "compact" Block III Shornet yet with a very competitive price point due to the massive economies of scale gained from a huge US DoD and potentially ADF order book added to much lower ownership costs than current Gen IV fighters and interoperable into NATO systems.

One of the considerations of Air 6002 Phase 2 is that from the LIFT course (currently PC-21 then Mk127 Hawks) there is still a significant leap into the single cockpit word of an F-35A and that the disappearing role of 2OCU (twin seater Hornets) needs addressing.
    Call me old fashioned but I like my lightweight fighter with an internal cannon, so I would be an FA-50 supporter.
    With the close ties to Boeing I could see the T-7A getting the nod for the RAAF.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      Bad enough that our drones are Israeli made. Actual death kill machines?
      But not made in the occupied territories of the West Bank, so should be OK???????????
      Are our helmets not also Israeli?

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
        (dreaming hat on) Hire Draken international and get them to front up a squadron of Mirage F-1s (AAR already fitted). We pay for guns and missiles and any airframe that gets bent. Offer the aircrew and techs a legal, temporary commission into the AC. Refurbished Kfirs also available from them as an option. After that, see if the S. African Gripens are fit to be used and offer them a deal. Throw in a few passports for pilots and techs and they'd bite your hand off. Get the Swedes to overhaul them in Airmotive and taxy them across the bridge to Baldonnel, when they are ready....and before anyone bites me on the passports, the State has already given away passports for much more nefarious things than buying aircraft.
        The SAAF Gripens would be interesting, wonder if we could get the job lot, How many do they have flying?

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
          But not made in the occupied territories of the West Bank, so should be OK???????????
          Are our helmets not also Israeli?
          Shh. Rabintex as far as I know.
          Must be at least every month some populist member of the opposition asking how much israeli kit we get, and why, and every time the minister patiently explains, there is no embargo, the tender process was transparent and we can't just stop getting supplies from them because someone stood outside dail eireann holding a sign and wearing a kufiya.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
            Shh. Rabintex as far as I know.
            Must be at least every month some populist member of the opposition asking how much israeli kit we get, and why, and every time the minister patiently explains, there is no embargo, the tender process was transparent and we can't just stop getting supplies from them because someone stood outside dail eireann holding a sign and wearing a kufiya.
            OT, but didn't Rabintex go under?

Comment

• It seems the Greeks will maintain a mixed French/US fleet going forward as they have now requested F-35 for delivery next year. Wonder if they will get those ear-marked for the Turks.
              https://greekcitytimes.com/2020/11/1...5-fighter-jet/

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                KAI TA-50
                Textron Scorpion
                L-159ALCA
                L39NG
                None of them supersonic and hence not able to gt where they need to be in a hurry. This is counterindicated for intercepts. And I still say that a Gripen C/D lease would be cheaper than buying any of the above bought.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                  None of them supersonic and hence not able to gt where they need to be in a hurry. This is counterindicated for intercepts. And I still say that a Gripen C/D lease would be cheaper than buying any of the above bought.
                  Even a Gripen purchase outright wouldn't be far off the cost of the KAI unit.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

You have heard of Irish DoD?

Comment

The KAI T-50 (FA-50) can reach Mach 1.5 with a climb rate close to 200 m/s.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                        The KAI T-50 (FA-50) can reach Mach 1.5 with a climb rate close to 200 m/s.
                        Is that with weapons and fuel tanks hanging off it?

Comment

• The KAI T-50 (FA-50) is about 35 million per aircraft
                          The saab jas 39 c is between 30-60 million per aircraft
                          With its sale to the Philippines, Korean Aerospace Industries (KAI) FA-50 fighter jet may be the answer for countries that cannot afford expensive western aircraft. South Korea will provide the Philippines with 12 FA-50 jets worth $415.7 million. Priced at $35 million a jet, the FA-50 presumably costs lower than the JAS 39 Gripen besides […]

id still think a saab jas 39 is a better buy
                          Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by madmark View Post
                            so what equipment would people prefer to see if we were to go down the road of fast air for me

RAT-31DL long-range air surveillance radar (x3 but 2 min)
                            Primary civilian long range radars

saab jas 39 c/d know single engine but it looks cool (x 12-16)
                            Lease of 12 C and 2 D, this being the standard

another casa 295 m for troop transport/utility
                            A321 XLR

(edit)

and get rid of the C-295s in favour of KC-390 and some small twins with a good radar and ELINT/SIGINT capability. KA-350 or P.180 MPA sping to mind.

If we ever want ASW capability, go Saab Spearfish on Saab 340 or 2000.

(/edit)

move air corp to Shannon, co location with 12th Bn
                            sell Sarsfield Bks and the don
                            garda air support to Dublin airport.
                            That's just my opinion thank god its a wish list and not my decision
                            Yup, just move the NS there as well.
                            Last edited by Graylion; 20 November 2020, 13:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                              Is that with weapons and fuel tanks hanging off it?
                              No. But then again Gripens and F-16's struggle going Mach+ as well when cluttered. However all 3 types with a couple of AIM-9's for a QRA intercept can Mach+ on a brief intercept vector.

Comment

• Putting on a lateral thinking hat for a minute, what is the problem and what realistically needs to be done?

If the problem is Russian flights with no transponders, then primary radar will solve that.

If someone needs to go look at what is that strange blob on Radar, is there any civvy alternative (I’m thinking business jet) that could get to within eyeball range in a reasonable time, and keep it in eyeball range for a reasonable length of time?

Does whatever goes up to verify that it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck need to be able to shoot it down? How often has that happened since the end of WW2 in the North Atlantic?

Just throwing ideas out there, tell me what’s wrong with them.
                                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                                X