Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second RAF QRA diversion in a week

this one's flight path is interesting

Last edited by CTU; 27 June 2019, 12:54.
    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
    It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Not sure if this story surfaced in the past, but it's an article from IHS in 2014 detailing how the Air Corps were using SitaWare to build a Common Air Operating Picture (CAOP) which could then be built into a Joint Common Operating Picture (JCOP)

* https://systematic.com/media/1851932...nt-picture.pdf

Comment

• Ireland turns strategic vision to deployed system with software from Systematic. Read about how Ireland connects all forces through SitaWare »

On this page we have gathered the latest news about the Systematic Defence solutions. Read more »

Comment

• A new satellite-based air traffic surveillance system - the first of its kind in the world - which will accurately pinpoint the location of any aircraft in distress, has been launched in Co Clare.

Unfortunately this is ADS-B (ie transponder) based

Comment

• Originally posted by The Usual Suspect View Post

GlobalEye, another value .. product from SAAB (via Google Translate, Original in Finnish)

My understanding is that this particular airborne box of tricks can detect a jet-ski from up to 400km.

An overnight surveillance flight could be used to radically improve tasking for the next morning's MPA flights.

Any prospect of the Swedes being interested in a low-profile, week-long, narcotics interdiction exercise?
            AEW is a very advanced game. I'd buy Swordfish on Saab 2000 or similar. Give us a C4ISTAR platform that can be deployed for peacekeeping missions and support of EU. Don't buy the C295.

Comment

• the Don can barely hold onto the mission operators it has and can barely recruit new ones from within, so any shiny new toy has to have people to fill it and that's not happening.

Comment

• Conversely of course, people will join if they think that they'll get a rewarding, interesting, challenging career that gives them opportunities to do things they could never do if they worked for Lidl or Aldi.

Pay and being worked like a dog are absolutely important to why people either leave or don't join in the first place - but you aren't going to attract the kind of people you need if all you can offer them are occasional army co-op exercises and counting fishing boats.

Comment

• So now that the air corps will send pilots to the RAAF to be trained and rotate through an operational unit, any chance they would gift us their F/A-18s when they replace them with F35?
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                    So now that the air corps will send pilots to the RAAF to be trained and rotate through an operational unit, any chance they would gift us their F/A-18s when they replace them with F35?
                    They sold them to Canada, and until the Canadians sort out what aircraft they are going to buy to replace their even more antique F/A-18's, will continue to do so until all that's left is scrap.

I don't think they'll be gifting Growlers and SuperHornets to anyone in the next 30 years...

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                      Conversely of course, people will join if they think that they'll get a rewarding, interesting, challenging career that gives them opportunities to do things they could never do if they worked for Lidl or Aldi.

Pay and being worked like a dog are absolutely important to why people either leave or don't join in the first place - but you aren't going to attract the kind of people you need if all you can offer them are occasional army co-op exercises and counting fishing boats.
                      Absolutely so long as they are being fairly rewarded, financially and non-financial.

I doubt many ex AC pilots are going to supermarkets when the wages in airlines are higher

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Absolutely so long as they are being fairly rewarded, financially and non-financial.

I doubt many ex AC pilots are going to supermarkets when the wages in airlines are higher
                        I was replying particularly to @GoneToTheCanners point about mission operators, not specifically about pilots - pilots are always going to leave in large numbers given the vastly higher wages they can earn outside, rear crew on the other hand are much less commercially valuable given how few of them are employed in civilian life.

Ryan air has very few openings for battlespace managers, radar operators, SIGINT techs and loadmasters....

Comment

I was replying particularly to @GoneToTheCanners point about mission operators, not specifically about pilots - pilots are always going to leave in large numbers given the vastly higher wages they can earn outside, rear crew on the other hand are much less commercially valuable given how few of them are employed in civilian life.

Ryan air has very few openings for battlespace managers, radar operators, SIGINT techs and loadmasters....
                          Unless of course they are rotary wing rear crew who could be winch operators/men

Comment

They sold them to Canada, and until the Canadians sort out what aircraft they are going to buy to replace their even more antique F/A-18's, will continue to do so until all that's left is scrap.
                            There will still be 46 Hornet airframes up for grabs as the Cannucks are taking 25 and flying 18. They paid just A$95m for the actual airframes (But the total project will be around CND$350m). They may have been delivered 30 years ago but had the HUG3.1 upgrade to A++ only a few years ago so in effect they are amongst the most capable Legacy Hornets out there. I don't know what airframe time they have today, but in 2012 following the fleet audit they had around 4600 hours each and have averaged 160 hours p.a since, with only 10 having the CBR completed - the rest were fine. The F/A-18 was designed for 6000 hours, however the Canadian airframes have gone over that, but that 6000 hour life limit was based on constant carrier use, which the RCAF and RAAF birds have never done. The Cannucks are banking on getting 8000 hours out of them until type is withdrawn in 2032.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                              So now that the air corps will send pilots to the RAAF to be trained and rotate through an operational unit, any chance they would gift us their F/A-18s when they replace them with F35?
                              I will be interested to see if they get posted to 35 Sqd who fly the C-27J.

I am really pleased to see them being sent off to Australia. The RAAF are a world class outfit. I could not think of a better air force for the two lucky guys to go to and they will bring back a wealth of knowledge back to to Air Corps.
                              Last edited by Anzac; 26 July 2019, 13:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anzac View Post
                                I will be interested to see if they get posted to 35 Sqd who fly the C-27J.

I am really pleased to see them being sent off to Australia. The RAAF are a world class outfit. I could not think of a better air force for the two lucky guys to go to and they will bring back a wealth of knowledge back to to Air Corps.
                                It would be an interesting bit if that's where they go, of course as said in the other thread the question might be "do they come back"?

Comment

Working...
                                X